2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

Does anyone haul board in their escape?

Tags
cargo
31K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  roadshow 
#1 ·
I can't believe I'm writing this, but when I purchased my '14 escape, it never occurred to me to check if the front passenger seat reclined/folded flat. I've never had a vehicle that didn't. Boy did I screw up.

I'm not a huge fan of securing lumber to roof racks, and I kinda get the sense that escape rack isn't really up to the task anyway.

What do other folk do? I suppose hang out the tailgate?

#2 ·
Sometimes I haul boredom but that goes away once I floor it down the highway. :)

#7 ·
roof rack has a very limited weight capacity.
how often do you haul?
I'm a light DIY guy living in an eternal fixer-upper. There's always a trip for framing board and moulding. I'm ok with 8 foot length, though in my forester, I could squeeze 10 with the board going to the windshield.

These aren't heavy loads by any means. Looking at the tie downs in the back of Escape - I think I could just run them out the back and secure them with straps. I don't have a long drive to my house.

#12 ·
Simple solution I use for hatchbacks is to just throw a few backs of something heavy on top of the front of the boards and bungee down the tailgate. I do a lot of home DIY like you and I pretty much always have a few bags of extra soil, mulch or whatever in my garage. If you want a more permanent solution those folding utility trailers are pretty inexpensive and store easily when not used

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.