View Single Post
#27 Old 06-07-2013, 09:42 PM
GRNDHOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelyser View Post
I just bought a 2013 Escape Titanium, and I was considering a hitch, but my wife and I have towed many trailers, so sway control wasn't all that important to us.

I do plan on going with the Ford hitch, as I like how it sits higher on the vehicle. This is more important when we are using the hitch rack, or the bicycle hitch rack on the vehicle. I do have a small trailer I pull from time to time as well.

Here's my take on the towing package. According to this media blurb from ford:
http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/g...scape_oct1.pdf

The towing package consists of the hitch, the wiring harness, and sway control, whatever that means. There is no mention of transmission coolers or different final drive ratios.

Now, to dig a little further. I have the Ford Workshop Manual for 2013, so I looked at the wiring diagrams for all the modules. There isn't a sway control module. But what I did find was that the Ford wiring harness that seems expensive at about $65 is actually a module that communicates with the Body Control Module when installed, using the CAN bus of the vehicle.

The wiring harness adapter is operated from the CAN messages from the Body Control module to control the turn signals and running lights. The brakes are triggered directly from the brake line.

I suspect that the Body Control Module knows when the trailer lighting adapter is installed as it communicates via the CAN bus. My theory is that the trailer adapter communicates when the trailer lights are connected (easy to identify), and the Body Control Module can then activate the sway control that's likely built into all the vehicles. It doesn't make any sense to look for trailer sway if there isn't a trailer connected.

Now, this is just my theory, and may be way off base, but it makes the most sense to me based on what I have found.

If this isn't the case, then it seems the only other option is for a different software strategy for the Body Control Module or RSC module to detect trailer sway.

Aaron
Makes sense to me!

p.s. can I get you to email me a copy of that manual? At least any part related to the Escape.