2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

Plastic bumper repair

27K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  ChiliHolePunch 
#1 ·
Anyone know if there is a product that would fix a few scratches on the rear plastic bumper? On the top part (only visible when you are right behind the vehicle looking from above) I sort of scratched it. They aren't deep scratches, but I don't really know what I can use to cover them up. Any suggestions?

#4 ·
I've been looking into something similar, since I recently got some scrapes/scuffs on the cream-colored plastic trim inside my cargo area (had to carry a piece of furniture that had to be jammed in to fit). What I've learned is that most scratch removers, plastic polishes, etc., are meant for smooth surfaces. On a textured surface, they might eliminate the scratch, but would leave you with a shiny, polished area in the middle of the otherwise grainy-looking plastic.

I think that what you (and maybe I) need instead is something to fill in the mark rather than abrade it away. Something similar to those touchup pens made for paint scratches, but intended for plastic instead. If you can't find such a product, you might try a Sharpie (permanent marker) in gray. 12 Sharpie Fine Point Earl Gray Permanent Markers on eBay! Go over the scratch with the pen, then apply a trim sealant or dressing to the entire bumper. I bet it would look better than it does now.

#6 ·
Thats pretty much what I'm looking for. I already tried to buff it out but nothing really happened. So it does need to be filled in a little. The sharpie might work, I'll have to give it a try.

The Meguiars products are for the parts with paint, I don't think that will work for the dull grey bumpers.

#5 ·
Addendum: If you want to be hard-core about it, this video tells you everything you could ever need to know, including identifying specific plastic epoxy fillers, retexturing paints, and OEM-color topcoat plastic paints.
Repairing and retexturing a Ford Explorer bumper cover - YouTube

My guess is that you'll choose to live with the scratches before resorting to this particular set of techniques. :)

Reactions: skafon
#11 ·
I thought you were referring to to a painted portion. I also have scratches on that portion of my bumper from loading or unloading something, sometime, what are you going to do. If you use the cargo area, it's bound to get scratched, bumped or dented. We all want to keep out cars perfect forever, but that's impossible and the first one hurts the most. If you want to avoid scratches, carry a blanket in the back and drape it over the bumper whenever you load or unload.

#12 ·
Yeah. That's why I have held off on purchasing the cargo mat for the Escape. I want to purchase those that you cut to size, so that I can leave a good piece that I can just fold out that goes right over the bumper and protect that area, since I am always loading and unloading objects from my trunk.

#14 ·
Plastic can't really go fix that at least its hidden behind the gate. As far as anything, if I know I am helping someone move, or buying a something of that nature that I may drag. I carry around a moving blanket (Harbor Freight, $5.00) and I open that up over the bumper as well as blanket the sides of the cargo hold. Plus once its in the car I take the overlap and fold it over so it protects the gate.

#15 ·
yep. It's always a good idea to have a towel or thick blanket in the back of the car for many reasons.

1. to use to protect the bumper and plastics when moving stuff
2. as an emergency blanket
3. to wipe up any spills in case you need it
4. to roll up and chase your kids around and whip them if they are being bad :)

#16 ·
Whats terrible is that you always expect your first scratch to be someone else's fault, not your own...but whatever, I'll find something to darken them a little one of these days and that will be enough. I know its not a big deal since you can't really see it, but with me knowing its there is bad enough.

#20 ·
If it's any consolation, the scrapes I have on the upper trim inside my cargo area are worse.

#23 ·
I have similar scratches on mine from my dogs claws scratching the top of the plastic bumper. I masked the top of the bumper from possible overspray with masking tape and applied several coats of black "Plastidip" spray- available at Home Depot. It covered the scratches, and also protects the plastic bumper from future scratches and has a protective rubbery texture. I did this over 8 months ago and it still looks great. If the Plastidip ever gets scratched badly from rough handling in the future, all I have to do is peel off the old layer and reapply. This worked very well in my case.

#24 ·
Well if it makes you feel any better..... 4 months after purchasing my 2015 Escape I GOUGED the plastic around the hatch handle. I pulled into my garage and hit the opener, and the back bumper cleared the sensors (tight fit) but the hatch sticks out a little further and the garage door caught the plastic around the handle. Pretty decent gouges taken out of the plastic. I was the exact opposite of happy. But what are you going to do?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.