#1 ·
I'm about to order the 2017
2.0 EcoBoost
Tow pkg
Sport pkg ..

I'll be towing a 2017 13' Scamp ~
Lets say a max wt@ 2000 # to be safe.
Equipped with electronic brakes .

What I have gathered is that I need to go from 4pin to 7pin...
get a brake controller...
and anti sway bar..

Well who generally do I go to to do this work ?
Is there anything else that I have missed to set this rig up ?

Thanks Everyone~

#2 ·
IMHO ....

You need to talk to other local RV-ers to find a competent and conscientious installer for the brake controller and associated 7-pin socket (RV shop).

Are you going to pick-up the Scamp from the factory yourself with the Escape? If yes suggest you talk to them about getting the hitch drawbar/ball assembly and the friction anti-sway-bar there. Those need to be fitted/matched to the trailer and the car (part goes in the car drawbar socket, part bolts to the trailer tongue, they need to be correct for level and length of the pieces for your specific application and that can't be done properly without the car and trailer together).

If having the Scamp delivered, see if you can 'meet it' at the good local RV shop you find and get them to set up the hitch & friction anti-sway-bar there to fit your Escape with the trailer.

I suggest this approach because you may need to try several different drawbar 'offsets' to get it right - it is hard to get a good estimate of the 'sag' you will have without actually trying it on the car and hitching the trailer, and that's critical to getting the trailer to 'tow level'.

Personally, if 'building' this rig I'd go for the Edge with the V6 because of the Scamp frontal area, but I realize you aren't asking ;-)

#5 ·
I'd choose the higher sidewall 17's. But then I wouldn't choose the Escape if buying for towing this trailer. You've obviously got an opportunity to 'build' a well-matched 'total rig'. Though the 13' Scamp can be relatively light, the frontal area will make your 2.0 work too hard to try 'keep up with traffic' in hills (forget it in real mountains) and on the highway, IMHO.

I'd be looking at the V6 Ecoboost Edge for a more comfortable match (in other words, I think HP and TQ is the 'add-on' you'll be wishing for in the long run ;-).

#7 · (Edited)
I've done 2000KMs+ this year with my 16 Escape 2.0L EB with factory tow pack and had zero issues in the mountain passes (Canadian Rockies) with about 2100lbs off the hitch, 2 adults, 2 kids and 160lbs in the cargo area. First half of the year we did the same with a 14 Edge Ltd 3.5L V6 with factory tow. Not a noticeable difference.

As of today we upgraded our trailer as well, adding 250lbs to the total on the hitch approx. 2350lbs loaded. The Escape towed it just great, including hills on the way home.

#6 ·
Because I have limited parking ~
I was trying to find the shortest vehicle that "claims" to tow 3500 lbs.
The edge is about a foot longer.
Other than that ,I don't know if I want to spend an extra 10g's !!

I guess I have more shopping around to do if the consensus will show my thinking to be wrong.
I'm currently in a Toyota dolphin ~and boy do I know how slow those hills can get.

I appreciate your comments centex.
I'll reconsider the sports pkg and stick with the 17's.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.