5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 Old 11-12-2013, 11:08 PM

Hi,
Hope you have good luck with your Escape!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 Old 11-13-2013, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnlauzon View Post
how can you create a thread like this and not post photos!

which DA are you using?

you are right I will post up some BTW I am using a Griot da with a 5.5 pad

2014 Escape S Sunset
oem tow hitch
Max floor liners
20% tint Solar Guard HP smoke
post #13 of 20 Old 11-13-2013, 12:52 PM

sweet. The Griots is a nice machine. Been thinking about getting one myself.
post #14 of 20 Old 11-13-2013, 09:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
how can you create a thread like this and not post photos!

which DA are you using?
I'll post pics after the OP - don't want to hijack the thread...

But I use the Porter Cable 7424XP DA polisher, with Chemical Guys Hex 5.5 pads (Orange, White, and Black), and a trifecta of 2 different grades of turtle wax (cutting, polishing), and Meguiar's 205 Ultra Finishing compound. Then a coat of Turtle Wax Black Box wax system.

Swirl and hologram free since Sunday

-justin

2013 Escape Titanium (See it here)
post #15 of 20 Old 11-14-2013, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal_jayo View Post
I'll post pics after the OP - don't want to hijack the thread...

But I use the Porter Cable 7424XP DA polisher, with Chemical Guys Hex 5.5 pads (Orange, White, and Black), and a trifecta of 2 different grades of turtle wax (cutting, polishing), and Meguiar's 205 Ultra Finishing compound. Then a coat of Turtle Wax Black Box wax system.

Swirl and hologram free since Sunday

go right ahead no worries I am having trouble getting pics at night and must take them in the sunlight

2014 Escape S Sunset
oem tow hitch
Max floor liners
20% tint Solar Guard HP smoke
post #16 of 20 Old 11-14-2013, 11:53 AM

never knew turtle wax made cutting and polishes

205 is a great polish though.

with different kinds of pads it does a great job at finishing or even removing light swirls on soft paint.
post #17 of 20 Old 11-14-2013, 05:52 PM

Garage
Quote:
never knew turtle wax made cutting and polishes

205 is a great polish though.

with different kinds of pads it does a great job at finishing or even removing light swirls on soft paint.
The cutting actions were provided by the different pads I used. When I combined the statement of 'cutting' and turtle wax, I should have specified that I used Turtle Wax Premium Grade Polishing Compound with my Orange CG Hex Pad (Medium/Heavy cutting), then Turtle Wax Color Magic Polish (Black) with White CG hex pad (light cutting), then Meguiar's 205 ultra finishing polish with Black CG hex pad (finishing pad).

I did the three step cutting and polishing on the hood and passenger door that had holograms left by the dealer. Everywhere else except the roof got the M205.

Love the results - looks better than on delivery day!

-justin

post #18 of 20 Old 11-18-2013, 02:27 PM

3 stage polish! hardcore!
post #19 of 20 Old 11-18-2013, 09:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
3 stage polish! hardcore!

I don't plan to make a habit with the 3 stage polish -- it was the first polishing job done since I bought it in April and it had acquired some unsightly swirls and holograms at the dealer.

-justin

post #20 of 20 Old 12-07-2013, 08:18 PM

A few notes (I used to professionally detail cars for nearly 5 years):

Never use a brush on your paint. This will result in swirls as described above. The same goes for any kind of automated car wash. I still don't even know if I trust the "touch-less" ones.

Always use clean water, fresh soap, clean mitt, rinse and keep the vehicle wet, don't let the soap dry, gently "scrub" the paint with the mitt, try to spray off as much gunk/debris with the hose before washing, gently dry with towel, chamois etc... (don't air-dry, or use a plastic blade), use a towel for the door jams, and presto, you have a clean car.

Avoid over washing and waxing your vehicle. I have found that average dirt (always remove bird-poo, sap, bugs, etc.. right away) can sit on paint for a while and it can be easily restored. On the other hand, if you are constantly washing/waxing your vehicle, you risk scratching it more often and further deteriorating its condition than if you had just maintained it less regularly. It's better to not wash/wax if you can't do it properly. Don't settle for a quick and easy cleaning, it is worse in the long-run. Also, each time you wax your car you are taking micro-layers of paint off to even out the surface.

Clay as needed, definitely not every time if you wax often. Do not "Buff" on your paint unless it is a last resort. Most scratches or swirls may be removed with hand wax. Buff swirls are harder to remove, and are easy to get if you don't know what you are doing. Plus, you risk removing more paint with a buffer.

I used to wash/wax my cars every single weekend. Now that I don't have the space, I wash my car about 4 or 5 times a year, and wax it once or twice a year. It always comes back to its original luster, and I believe it is in better condition than if were to wash/wax weekly as I did before.

When I do wax, I use a general polish wax (can't really go wrong so long as it has a light cut), and then I use 3M ultra high gloss paste wax to finish it off (incredible shine and makes the water bead great!)

I'd be happy to answer any other questions if necessary.

I nearly forgot the whole reason for responding to this thread... I never let the dealership or anyone else wash my car. The dealer nearly always uses a brush for service washes. Just tell them not to wash it.

With that said, when I took delivery of my new Escape a couple weeks ago, I told the sales man not to let anyone wash it while I was in finance. So, he took a towel and dry-wiped the layer of dust off my new car... I gave him an ear-full for that one. I was definitely not happy, but I know that those light swirls come out with a single coat of hand wax. Not worth stressing over.

These are also reasons that I prefer to special order a new car, because there is truth to the words "Lot-Rot." Once a week in the summer we would go hose down all of the new cars and just wipe them down. I think I cried a little each time we did this.
JMR likes this.

Ducatisto

S4RS Tricolore #5 of 400
Moto Guzzi Breva 1100
'14 Escape Titanium

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page