15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 47 Old 03-24-2014, 06:18 AM

as the OP mentioned though....if you are uncomfortable with the dremel and drill work you can get the steering wheel from a Fusion...
HKS likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 47 Old 03-24-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markboris View Post
Yes sir, I have a dremel and I have been thinking about this all day. This is right up my ally as I love to do wiring and electronic tinkering. I have to say, I do use my gear shift mounted switch a lot since I live in the mountains and constantly drive on windy roads and it would not be feasible for me to shift using paddle shifters when the wheel is constantly being turned back and forth. The gear shift switches is perfect for me. BUT then there are times when I would love to have them on the steering wheel so being able to use them in both places would be awesome. I would rather have black switches so I am going to venture into seeing what I can come up with that way. I am going to start with the paddle switches on a Fusion steering wheel. They are only $25 each and not sure about the fit but I ordered them and will be checking this out. I am on holiday in Florida but when I return next week, I will get on this.
I would be interested in the fit also. I like the black ones much better. Please post back when you get them.
I did this on my BMW. the wiring is very easy
post #23 of 47 Old 03-25-2014, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Well: this doesn't require any tool. Literally plug and play
Uses Rf from the paddle to a small controller plugged to the shifter.
Looks like OEM but the touch feels less precise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 47 Old 03-25-2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrell View Post
as the OP mentioned though....if you are uncomfortable with the dremel and drill work you can get the steering wheel from a Fusion...
Don't they have different radio/arrow button layout? As in, don't they have two screens on the dash like the Edge has?
post #25 of 47 Old 03-25-2014, 10:43 PM
post #26 of 47 Old 03-29-2014, 03:34 PM

Garage
This is beautiful

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2013 1.6T Escape SE 4WD on Tuxedo Black (built JUN-12) - Door "Wolf" sill protectors Front/Rear - after market rear view mirror with integrated display for rear view camera - aftermarket rear parking sensors - aftermarket LED DRL's.
post #27 of 47 Old 03-30-2014, 06:07 AM Thread Starter

This is a mod that looks good and works as expected. But as Mark said, its full potential only realizes if they are mounted on the steering column shroud, not on the steering wheel.
Now, my next mod is to get the start/stop to work like in the European cars (engine turns off at the traffic lights)
Any pointers??
post #28 of 47 Old 04-09-2014, 07:37 PM

Awesome mod...I dont know how people would have problems shifting while turning the steering wheel as the paddles move with the steeting wheel. Also most of the time you would want to shift before or after the turn.

Also has anyone considered replacing the shifter since you would not need the shifter buttons?
post #29 of 47 Old 04-22-2014, 08:54 AM

Garage
Well, thanks to the inspiration of SHVW, I finally got around to working on this paddle shift mod. One thing I want to mention is that the Fusion steering wheel will not directly fit on the steering column of the Escape. The male part of the clock spring connector interferes with the metal support of the steering wheel. The wheel can be modified to fit but after reviewing all of the wiring that would have to be modified and several of the switch functions are completely different, I decided to work with the Escape wheel.

While I wanted to try using the Ford paddle shifters from the Fusion steering wheel, I pretty much knew from the beginning this would probably not work well due to the size of the paddles (thickness) and they would interfere with the stalks behind the wheel that are mounted to the column. BUT I wanted to give it a try. I bought a second Escape steering wheel and spent the last week a few nights here and there messing around with getting these Fusion switches to fit. I then wired the switches to the wheel, added the necessary wiring to and from the clock spring connectors and then to the switch on the transmission shifter. The switches work well, shifting exactly as it does from the switch on the tranny shifter and they light up the same ice blue lighting as the rest of the switches on the steering wheel. However, as I thought would be the case, they are to close to the stalks on the column. The windshield stalk on the right side cannot be pulled forward to wash the windshield if it is all the way down in the off position as it will hit the up paddle switch. I have to raise the stalk up at least one position to wash the windows. Not like this is a big deal since I usually never wash a dry window but it still bothers me. I like the stock look of the switches and the fact that they are black. I now have some wireless paddle switches on order that I will fit to my original Escape wheel and see how they will work with the column stalks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1254.jpg (167.1 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1256.jpg (148.6 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1260.jpg (173.0 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1262.jpg (247.0 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1281.jpg (301.8 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1283.jpg (242.7 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1288.jpg (94.2 KB, 188 views)
RDT likes this.

2014 Escape Titanium Sport 2.0 AWD
Ingot Silver Metallic/Med. Light Stone Leather
All options except Tow package/Build Date: 07/19/13
post #30 of 47 Old 04-22-2014, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

I went first by the easiest path and purchased the wireless paddles. I discarded them because they work like 98% of the time at the first try and I found my self with the hand on the shifter again. If you are not totally confident that you can predict when exactly the car will shift, they are useless.
I have no interference between the stalks and the paddles.
As I said in an earlier post, the Mercedes paddles are black. No light though...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page