15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 Old 10-21-2015, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

DIY Battery Monitor System Reset

Apology in advance if this has been addressed before, but I'd not noticed any posts telling us how we could reset the Battery Monitor System when we do a DIY battery replacement (lacking a dealer diagnostics tool).

Playing with my old rev 2.1.21 beta version of FORScan this morning I tripped on the "settings" tab only to find an option to reset the Battery Monitor System (!) You've got to be connected to your FE to see this.

Nowhere near needing a battery replacement I didn't 'run' the option, but everything else I've used FORScan for works fine so no reason to doubt this feature and I was glad to find it.

Get FORScan for windows to run on your laptop here (free) Download FORScan

You'll of course need an OBDII > USB interface cable (might also work with a Bluetooth interface, I've not tried that). Search ELM 327 USB for plenty of cheap sources for the interface (NOTE - ignore/don't use the included and totally unnecessary 'driver' mini disk that ships with the ELM .... most all versions I've read about, including the one that came with mine, have a malware / virus on the disk. No driver is needed for the interface to work with Windows, at least Windows 7, it's a standard USB device with built-in firmware support).

Anyway, just FYI for those that would like to DIY replace the battery and skip the dealer completely.

If anyone has another inexpensive tool that offers reset of the BMS, please share. Not being a "DTC" per-se, my 'generic' OBDII scan / DTC reset tool doesn't provide that functionality.

ndccpf1, oldschool and atlcarl69 like this.

'14 Escape SE 2.0 FWD (25 Sep 13 build); 201A SE Convenience Package; Power Liftgate; Leather Comfort Package; Oxford White on Med Light Stone Leather (SYNC 2 w/8" MFT screen)
I love my hard-working '05 F-150 XLT 5.4 V8 trailer-towing truck, too !

Help us help you - what is your year, engine, drivetrain, trim and SYNC version?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 10-21-2015, 11:43 AM

I have noticed the option on FORScan as well. Since I am an early build 2013 (build 09/12)my plan is to replace my battery after this winter but before the next winter. Pretty much my whole every single one of my car batteries has died on the 4 year mark. I will probably go with the OEM battery even though some folks like to bump up the size. I have not experienced any electrical gremlins or battery failures to date, knock on wood. Whereas my buddies 2014 F-150 died on him last month.

2013 Ginger Ale Titanium 2.0 AWD, Factory Tow Package, Pano Roof and Roof Rack, Kuga LED Rear Tail Lights, Factory Added NAV, factory Added Rear Camera, Rear Spoiler, Build Date - Sept. 2012
post #3 of 44 Old 01-31-2016, 01:41 PM

The OEM battery died last week in my 2013 base. I replaced myself before reading this thread so had no prior knowledge of the BMS reset. Would having the battery disconnected for over an hour reset the BMS?

Oddly the OEM battery would start perfect then next time nothing. Before replacing the battery I cleaned the positive terminal that had a “terminal” case of the green cottage cheese. Afterward the car started perfect a few times, and then again was dead.

If there is a sensor I received no warning before the battery died, nor received a warning after replacing the battery. The car has started perfect for a week following the battery replacement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 Old 04-19-2016, 06:37 PM

I just replaced the battery in my 2013 Titanium at 50K miles. I was able to reset the Battery Monitor using an AutoEnginuity Scan Tool with their Ford diagnostic subscription package. I thought I'd try that tool first, since I had it, and was ready to try the FORScan if that didn't work.
post #5 of 44 Old 07-11-2016, 02:28 PM

Garage
I have a question along these lines. I just purchased OBD Fusion and I have a Carista BT monitor. I paid extra for the Ford Escape 2016 PID's and likely get them for my 2013 Escape as well. The problem is this: I am not familiar enough with PID's and there capabilities. Are there any PID's that you would recommend for evaluating battery health? The idea if such exist would be to view them and let them help me when to replace the battery.

My other option would be to simply replace the battery at either three or four years.

Thanks

2016 Escape Titanium w/Sync 3v2.2, 2.0 L
2013 Escape SEL w/MFT, 1.6 L
post #6 of 44 Old 07-14-2016, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

You can view all those factors that are used by the BMS for establishing the rate of charge (temp, battery in-service time, etc, etc) but none of those really help you with an 'anticipatory replacement plan' IMHO ..... they are factors used in a dynamic algorithm for the charging system (that data is measured both at-rest and when driving to build a complex 'picture' of battery health for the charging system - not easy for you to interpret independently).

Electrolyte condition (hard to check on a sealed battery), resting voltage, volts/amps at load all can guide an 'anticipatory' replacement plan but some of those are hard to DIY.

Personally I travel with jumper cables and run a battery 'till I need the jump (or have noticeable slow-cranking issues) before replacing. Perhaps slightly inconvenient but I've never been 'stranded' and given the huge disparity in the life of batteries I've experienced over the years I'm loath to 'second guess' how long one will last.

My (now) rarely driven F150 gets a weekly "Battery Tender" top-up and still starts/runs great with 5+ years on a "36-month" warranted battery .... would hate to have wasted all that service with an 'anticipatory' replacement (yeah, I'm a 'frugal type' that seeks to minimize total life-cycle vehicle operating costs).

'14 Escape SE 2.0 FWD (25 Sep 13 build); 201A SE Convenience Package; Power Liftgate; Leather Comfort Package; Oxford White on Med Light Stone Leather (SYNC 2 w/8" MFT screen)

Help us help you - what is your year, engine, drivetrain, trim and SYNC version?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 44 Old 07-14-2016, 09:38 PM

I was charged $162 for the Battery and $95 for the diagnostic and labour. Add in the tax and I'm at $290 total.

Whats a BMS? I dont have any tools to connect to the Escape and reset computers.

Vin

2013 SEL 2.0L AWD
post #8 of 44 Old 07-15-2016, 02:27 AM Thread Starter

BMS = Battery Monitoring System, the suite of sensors, electronic modules and computer program that determine battery condition and provide data to other systems which manage the charging rate and load-shedding (battery saver) features in the '13+ Escape.

Hopefully the "diagnostic and labour" charge you incurred included the requisite BMS reset, IMHO very likely if your replacement was done by a (competent) Ford dealer.

Clipped from the workshop manual:

Battery Replacement

If the vehicle battery is replaced, it is very important to perform the battery monitoring system reset using the scan tool. If the battery monitoring system reset is not carried out, it holds the old battery parameters and time in service counter in memory. Additionally it tells the system the battery is in an aged state and the
(sic) may limit the Electrical Energy Management system functions.

^^ In that context "scan tool" refers to the genuine Ford diagnostics device used by dealers. The BMS data is held in non-volatile memory (it is retained even when the battery is disconnected) and cannot be reset by any means other than use of an appropriate tool plugged into the diagnostics port on the car to send the correct 'BMS reset' command-code to the Body Control Module (BCM).
ndccpf1, bigbirchlake and Sundog like this.

post #9 of 44 Old 07-30-2016, 09:47 PM

battery reset tool

OTC 3112 BATTERY RESET TOOL is available BUT it's about $158.00 i think it's on amazon
post #10 of 44 Old 07-31-2016, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brev View Post
OTC 3112 BATTERY RESET TOOL is available BUT it's about $158.00 i think it's on amazon
Caveat Emptor - look at the manufacturer's website as of the date of this post and note that the '13+ Ford Escape is specifically NOT included on the detailed list of covered vehicles for this tool.

https://www.otctools.com/sites/defau...e_coverage.pdf

https://www.otctools.com/products/ot...ery-reset-tool

Search for other threads on this forum that discuss resetting the '13+ Escape BMS using FORScan freeware with an appropriate OBD interface device.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page