2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

Remote Start

51K views 44 replies 26 participants last post by  Zolutar 
#1 ·
According to the manual, when you set the remote start to "manual" the climate control sets to 72 and the seat warmers come on. The climate part works, but the seat don't come on. Anyone know what I'm ding wrong?

#2 ·
I tried too and that was what I was hoping for ..... warm seats when remote-starting. I had my settings as "Auto" and that did not work. Will try "Last Settings / Manual" this time.

If our cars are sitting outside in 17F weather and you remote start... the only thing that makes sense to activate the seat heaters since the defrost / heater would take a LONG time of idling to produce any warm air at all.

#3 ·
i think you have to be sitting on the seat for them to come one mine dont work unless im sitting make sure you set your front defroster to come on in the morning i had a freind have it on heat and when the car warmed up she thought opps set it to defrost and presto the sudden heat cracked the windshield the escape normally gives heat with in 2 min the soft ware closes the thermostat for fast warm ups hope this helps

#4 · (Edited)
Copied from the PDF owner's manual page 120. Something is not right as my seats do not come on either for heat and that is something I want ==>

Automatic Settings

You can set the climate control to operate
in AUTO mode through the information
display setting: Remote Start > Climate
Control > Heater-A/C > Auto. The climate
control system automatically sets the
interior temperature to 72°F (22°C).
In hot weather, the system is set to 72°F
(22°C). Cooled seats are set to high (if
available, and selected to AUTO in the
information display).

In moderate weather, the system either
heats or cools (based on previous
settings). The rear defroster, heated
mirrors and heated/cooled seats are not
automatically turned on.

In cold weather, the system is set to 72°F
(22°C). The heated seats and heated
steering wheel are set to high (if available,
and selected to AUTO in the information
display). The rear defroster and heated
mirrors are automatically turned on.

#5 ·
Hi
I have recently purchased a 2013 Titanium Escape. This is my fourth Escape, last one was a 2011. I tried most of the bells and whistles and they all seem to work. But recently the remote start, doesn't. It has worked in the past when I was playing with the car. I have 4200 miles on the car and checked all the items that may be a problem, such as tranny in P, handbrake is on, no check warning lights.

Symptoms : I press the lock button once, and the start button twice as shown in the instruction card. The lights flash and the horn sounds, but the car doesn't start. I thought maybe because my driveway was on a incline, safety wise it wouldn't start on a hill, but tried on flat surface. I know I can take it to dealer, which I may have to, but thought I'd ask others that own the same vehicle.
Thanks for reading

#10 ·
The horn sounding is not a fault--that's the factory preset setting for indicating that remote start was activated. Unless he went into the settings and disabled that, it's a normal condition.

…which makes his situation more interesting, because it seems that everything is working correctly except for the actual starting.

#14 ·
SOLVED (kinda)
So I went into the menu under remote start and set it back to default. :confused:
All works now.. so obviously it was something I messed with that caused it to not start. I don't know what, but resetting it solved the issue.
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions! :)

#16 ·
Hello everyone, I have a feeling that our cars are no equipped to tune on the heated seats when the remote start is activated. The manual states this but I think it's a bit of fords copying and pasting from different models ie. edge and mkx. The same as the global open feature that we are suppose to have.

#17 ·
Correct ! I brought my 2013 Titanium 2.0 to the dealer (have it one year this week) in January this year and they were clueless about the seats heating when doing remote start. All we need is a FLASH update to our BCMs (Body Control Modules) to fix this.

Even the FORD service manual that I just purchased from Service Manuals, Owner Manuals, Wiring Diagrams, Service Bulletins - Helm Incorporated has incorrect service information. Such as to remove the HID headlamps you turn the lamp counter clockwise. Wrong! You need to remove 2x Torx 10 and there is a bracket.

#19 ·
guys, heated seats dont heat up unless you are sitting on em. turning on seat heaters when you are in the house don't do anything to make the seats warm

#23 ·
The manual says they'll turn on. So having to sit on them to turn on makes no sense for the remote start. My father has a Chevy 3500 and the seats kick on for remote start. It will definitely take the chill off the leather.

Nothing is wrong. The way it is programmed to minimize cold air from rushing through the cabin, the system holds back until the air that will circulate is warm enough. The system will kick on defrost/heat at ambient temps of 32 degrees F. You may override by setting it too last temp setting, but you would also have to remember to set your temp before shutting down your E. Again, it will kick on even with this adjustment until the E, has warmed up the air enough to circulate.
So the vehicle won't kick the heat on until the engine reaches normal operating temps while in the "auto" setting?

#20 ·
Ok it's 24 tonight and I started my FE remotely. The car was running for nine minutes when I got in it. The heater fan was not running and the car was nice and cold. After driving for about a mile the heater fan finally kicked in. In my settings under remote start it says climate control auto. So what am I doing wrong. It defeats the purpose of having a remote start to warm the car up.
Am I doing something wrong?

#21 ·
Nothing is wrong. The way it is programmed to minimize cold air from rushing through the cabin, the system holds back until the air that will circulate is warm enough. The system will kick on defrost/heat at ambient temps of 32 degrees F. You may override by setting it too last temp setting, but you would also have to remember to set your temp before shutting down your E. Again, it will kick on even with this adjustment until the E, has warmed up the air enough to circulate.

#22 ·
I fired up my Escape last night from my office and other than the LED accent and running lights, I wan't sure it was running until I was about 15 feet away. A very quiet engine!

I noticed that I could press the Start button without pressing down on the brake to enable my Escape. I thought I'd try it, and it worked.

But since it was 16˚ F outside it took about a mile before the systems were warm enough to start blowing "warm" air through the defroster vents. That's fine with me, as most cars with Automatic Climate controls have been programmed to avoid blowing cold air in your face and will wait before the coolant is at an acceptable level before kicking it up to gale force.

#25 ·
When I've used remote start in cold temps, the fan is always blowing warm/hot air after the vehicle runs for 8 to 10 minutes. Even when the temps are below 0.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#28 ·
if you leave the fan speed on high(over ride the auto setting) and the temp setting to HI before you shut her down, the fan will come on the next morn as soon as the car starts but wont get hot air till the coolant heats up

#29 ·
I have a slightly different issue with remote start on my 2013 Escape Titanium. Until very recently, everything worked normally. Then, after a recent service visit for an oil change, and winter tire installation, things are very different. Now, when I go through the normal sequence of "lock", "start", "start" on the fob, the vehicle starts and runs for about 15 seconds. Then the engine stops, and the lights go off. I'd be grateful for any help, short of taking it in for a service call. Thanks!

#31 ·
I have the dealer installed remote start. I stopped at the dealership today and they reprogrammed it to run 15 minutes instead of the default 10 min.

#33 ·
While looking for the "delayed off" headlight option this morning I came across a duration setting for the remote start, five, ten, or fifteen minutes.

I wonder how long I have to keep this vehicle before I learn all the little features.

---

#34 ·
While looking for the "delayed off" headlight option this morning I came across a duration setting for the remote start, five, ten, or fifteen minutes.
I wonder how long I have to keep this vehicle before I learn all the little features.
---
I stumbled across a new feature recently, not that I remember what it was, and it's going on a year and 7 months.

The "Cool Things" thread is good bedtime reading to check what you didn't know that you didn't know.

http://www.fordescape.org/forum/new.../6850-cool-things-know-about-2013-escape.html

#38 ·
Dang, that's nice. I love the remote start factory equipped. Seems to be a higher percentage of problems when they are added later. From the manual.

Extending the Vehicle Run Time

Repeat Steps 1 and 2 with the vehicle still
running to extend the run time for another
remote start duration. If the duration is set
to last 10 minutes, the duration will extend
by another 10 minutes. For example, if the
vehicle had been running from the first
remote start for five minutes, the vehicle
will continue to run now for a total of 20
minutes. You can only extend the remote
start once.
Wait at least five seconds before remote
starting after a vehicle shutdown.

#39 ·
Yeah love my remote start, the one in my wife's Fiesta is a **** it shuts the car off when you open a door....need to do research in how to disable this, makes it pointless and makes the car do another start for no reason.

#40 ·
First time with factory remote start and normally I have the quad screen on the center screen but after using the remote start the center screen is on distance to empty. even after pressing the start button it doesn't change back.. has anyone noticed what screen the center screen is on after remote starting their E?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.