2013 / 2014 / 2015 Ford Escape Forum

2013 / 2014 / 2015 Ford Escape Forum (http://www.fordescape.org/forum/)
-   Electronics, Audio, and Lighting (http://www.fordescape.org/forum/electronics-audio-lighting/)
-   -   Foot activated rear hatch question (http://www.fordescape.org/forum/electronics-audio-lighting/244-foot-activated-rear-hatch-question.html)

Ticmxman 03-16-2013 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KodiakBear (Post 1594)
Safety chains hanging down from a receiver hitch, alone will no way activate the lift gate. For the foot activated lift gate to work, several things must happen.
First, the key fob needs to be within range of the back of the vehicle (won't happen when you are toeing something).
Second, vehicle needs to be stopped, at least, and possibly in Park.
Third, the rear facing sensor needs to sense your stationary leg.
Last, the downward sensor detects the infamous "kicking motion".

Correct, for the details on how the hatch functions.

http://media.ford.com/images/10031/Escape_Liftgate.pdf

TRAILN 03-30-2013 11:07 AM

I crawled under the back bumper and I can see the sensor there and its plugged in. I wonder why it won't work with the tow package. I would really like this feature back. Is it deactivated by software? If so, can only the dealership reactivate it?

usedup 03-30-2013 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRAILN (Post 2201)
I crawled under the back bumper and I can see the sensor there and its plugged in. I wonder why it won't work with the tow package. I would really like this feature back. Is it deactivated by software? If so, can only the dealership reactivate it?

Is it possible that one of the two sensors on the rear bumper
are blocked by the hitch hardware?:confused:

TRAILN 03-31-2013 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usedup (Post 2207)
Is it possible that one of the two sensors on the rear bumper
are blocked by the hitch hardware?:confused:

According to the link a few post above. I was definitely looking at sensor 2. Sensor 1 seems to be inside the bumper.

klhansen 04-16-2013 02:20 AM

When I looked under the escape, I found only one item labeled "antenna" mounted in the center forward of the hitch. I followed the harnesses and found no other evidence of another sensor anywhere in the vicinity. There were the backup sensors, but nothing that I looked like the center mounted on. I'll have to check again and get the part # off the one I saw.

TRAILN, can you post any part number from the label on the sensor(s) you saw?

sandychapin 05-25-2013 03:15 AM

If you look at the draw-tite hitch site they mention that installation of a hitch may interfere with the full functionality of the "kick" open feature. I am guessing that it will work but may be limited in just how/where you "kick". I will be installing a hitch in the future so we'll see what happens.

klhansen 07-14-2013 01:50 AM

Don't bother trying to add Hands-Free Liftgate feature
 
Did a little more digging on this issue today, and I don't think it's feasible to add the foot operated liftgate to a car that doesn't have it.

I asked the dealer parts department about it a while back and they gave me some diagrams and part numbers for the sensors.

But today, I took a closer look at the harness that runs to the backup sensors and the trailer hitch plug. There are two unfilled wire spots on the connector where it goes up into the body, both on the body side and the bumper side of the connector. That tells me that the wiring for the hands-free liftgate doesn't even get that far. Then I looked at the fuse box in the passenger compartment above that harness connector. Fuse #1 is listed as "Hands-Free Liftgate Module" and is not installed in my fusebox. As well, that none of the fuse slots or relay slots that don't have anything installed in them do not have terminals on the output side of the fuse slot, or ANY terminals in the relay slots, telling me that there's no wiring to the "Hands-Free Liftgate Module" and therefore no module installed in the car.

I suppose if you messed around enough, installing an output terminal in the fuse box, power wire to the module, the module itself, wiring to the sensors, and the sensors, you MIGHT be able to make it work.

Not worth the trouble, IMO. Especially when MFT tuned the radio to AM 660 (static up here) when I told it "Set Temperature 68 degrees." :rolleyes:

ccaweber 07-22-2013 02:26 PM

I read in one of these posts that with the addition of the after-market hitch the kick to open was still operational. I will have the answer soon as I will be installing the after-market hitch.

JMR 07-22-2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klhansen (Post 36473)
I suppose if you messed around enough, installing an output terminal in the fuse box, power wire to the module, the module itself, wiring to the sensors, and the sensors, you MIGHT be able to make it work.

All you have to do is wait until the middle of MY 2014, when the hands-free liftgate feature will be made compatible with the towing package on new Titaniums. (No more $40 price break! :rolleyes:) Then, take your Escape to the dealer and say that your hands-free liftgate has developed a problem and needs a replacement part. When the dealer asks, "Which one?" just say, "All of them!"

klhansen 07-22-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMR (Post 40146)
All you have to do is wait until the middle of MY 2014, when the hands-free liftgate feature will be made compatible with the towing package on new Titaniums. (No more $40 price break! :rolleyes:) Then, take your Escape to the dealer and say that your hands-free liftgate has developed a problem and needs a replacement part. When the dealer asks, "Which one?" just say, "All of them!"

:D You'd probably have to catch them on an off day for that to work. They might do it for me, but with the dealer's labor charge, I'd probably be better off trading in the '13 for a new '14. :eek:


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8pl1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.