1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 01-18-2013, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Question Foot activated rear hatch question

Our Escape has the power rear hatch. The big deal in the ads is how it's foot activated. Unfortunately this car has the tow package, which deletes the foot activated hatch. I can understand why, as it might get activated by safety chains or inadvertently when a trailer is hitched up, but we will probably never use the hitch on this rig (that's what the F250 is for.)

I asked at the dealership if it could be converted to add that feature, but I only talked with the sales staff (who were clueless of course). I think it's probably as simple as installing a different harness and the sensor (maybe mounting it in a different place). I've been looking underneath, and there's a harness connector at the right rear which leads to the backup sensors on the bumper, the trailer connector and an "antenna" just forward of the hitch receiver, which I believe is for the remote keyless entry fobs. I could remove the hitch receiver, but that would mean replacing the bumper cover to close the cutout for the hitch. But I think the sensor could just be mounted somewhere else if it's centered under the bumper.

Could someone who has this feature possibly look under their Escape and see if you can identify the sensor and maybe get the part #'s off it and the harness? Photos would be good also.

Thanks very much

Wife's car: 13 Escape Titanium 2.0L AWD, Frosted Glass
My Truck: 99 F250 Supercab 4x4 7.3L Powerstroke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 02-18-2013, 09:30 AM

Ken,
I don't know the answere, but am interested in adding this function to my wifes escape as well. I'm not confident of Ford's reasoning for deleting this function with the tow package. I assume it would be diabled if the car is in a gear other than park. Personally, I think Ford deleted this so stupid sue happy people wouldn't bang their shin on a hitch. Who knows.
post #3 of 25 Old 03-06-2013, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
swiping foot vs. keyfob

I ended up having the hitch put on my FE, since I really haven't been put into a situation where I didn't at least have the keys in my hand to pop the trunk. However on my FE, with he power lift gate, even if I am carrying pizza's to the truck, I can hit the keyfob (in my hands) and voila, pizza in.. no hands needed, hit the button again. done deal. The swipe feature is cool but to me a novelty. Kinda like the auto park, really cool, but where I live in the suburbs, not a necessity. I spent a few times using it just to show it off
post #4 of 25 Old 03-11-2013, 09:33 PM

I would guess it's removed so that the trailer chains don't swing under the sensor and cause the hatch to open into the trailer
post #5 of 25 Old 03-12-2013, 01:01 PM

Has anyone found the part number to install the sensor? Have you ever tried contacting Ford directly to see if you can find an answer? You can be forwarded to the engineers and technicans sometimes.
post #6 of 25 Old 03-13-2013, 05:02 PM

Maybe it could be moved to one side or the other if the exhaust heat wouldn't be a problem.
post #7 of 25 Old 03-14-2013, 02:04 AM Thread Starter

So pilotattitude, could you slide under your Excape and jot down the numbers on the foot swipe sensor if it's still there?

I'd like to at least research this a bit more. I'll check with the dealer when I get a chance, but I doubt their interest will be that high to help.

post #8 of 25 Old 03-14-2013, 03:47 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Sorry I didn't get that feature, hence why I put my hitch on afterwards. I find it just as easy to have fob in hand to activate the rear hatch. So I don't believe there is a part number I can read off.
post #9 of 25 Old 03-15-2013, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotattitude View Post
Sorry I didn't get that feature, hence why I put my hitch on afterwards. I find it just as easy to have fob in hand to activate the rear hatch. So I don't believe there is a part number I can read off.
OK, I understood from your earlier post that you had the foot activated thingy, but you're saying you didn't have that feature. Thanks for the response.

post #10 of 25 Old 03-15-2013, 10:34 PM

Safety chains hanging down from a receiver hitch, alone will no way activate the lift gate. For the foot activated lift gate to work, several things must happen.
First, the key fob needs to be within range of the back of the vehicle (won't happen when you are toeing something).
Second, vehicle needs to be stopped, at least, and possibly in Park.
Third, the rear facing sensor needs to sense your stationary leg.
Last, the downward sensor detects the infamous "kicking motion".
Watrach likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page