8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 77 Old 08-25-2014, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
integrating sub and amp

hello, I just got my 2014 escape es with my touch it seems to be an 8 speaker system because I don't see a factory sub.
my question is do they come with a separate factory amp and if it does where is it located, or is there another easier way to connect my mono block amp?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 77 Old 08-25-2014, 09:31 PM

Your '14 SE has SYNC and an 8" screen, correct? If so you have a 9-speaker system (9th is in the center top dash under the grille above the CD player slot).

All the speaker Wires terminate at the "Audio Unit" mounted high in the dash; a 24-pin connector on the left side of that unit looking forward.

Can't offer specific advise about connecting your sub amp but FYI you can get 72-hrs of access to the complete OEM wiring and connector diagrams and component location graphics here for $10.95:

Motorcraft Technical Resource

You can print the pages you need and it includes stuff like how to remove dash/door panels, etc ... all sorts of info that might be helpful for your project.

HTH

'14 Escape SE 2.0 FWD (25 Sep 13 build); 201A SE Convenience Package; Power Liftgate; Leather Comfort Package; Oxford White on Med Light Stone Leather (SYNC 2 w/8" MFT screen)
I love my hard-working '05 F-150 XLT 5.4 V8 trailer-towing truck, too !

Help us help you - what is your year, engine, drivetrain, trim and SYNC version?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 77 Old 08-26-2014, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Garage
thanks for quick reply!
so all the power comes out of the head unit on these?
or is there a separate amp?
and if there is where is it located?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 77 Old 08-26-2014, 11:50 AM

The 'traditional' notion of a single "head unit" with integrated controls, pre-amp and power amp doesn't exactly apply ..... in the FE there are separate modules for control of the system via the dash knobs, touch-screen and steering wheel switches. I don't think it is correct to consider those pre-amp and power-amp stages in the traditional sense.

The single "Audio Unit" I mention is the source of the amplified signal to the speakers in the non-Sony 9-speaker FE system on SE trim level with the SE Convenience Package. Ford doesn't seem to publish the audio signal level, if any, out of any of the 'control modules' I mentioned. Those are likely communicating CanBus-type control data to the "Audio Unit" rather than pre-amped audio signals. IMHO the "Audio Unit" is an integrated pre-amp + power-amp meaning there is no place for you to grab a low-level pre-amped signal in this system .... your subwoofer amp needs to be able to handle 'speaker level' inputs.
darrell likes this.

'14 Escape SE 2.0 FWD (25 Sep 13 build); 201A SE Convenience Package; Power Liftgate; Leather Comfort Package; Oxford White on Med Light Stone Leather (SYNC 2 w/8" MFT screen)

Help us help you - what is your year, engine, drivetrain, trim and SYNC version?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 77 Old 08-26-2014, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks again for the quick reply!
I was not looking for a pre-amp source, I'm simply trying to find the quickest, simplest way to reach an audio source without damaging any part of the vehicle, my last 2 vehicles had CanBus as well, I had to install 1 of the 2 main brands of audio level converters that provide both the low level audio and the remote on power line.

2014 Ford Escape SE 2.0 4WD with MyFordTouch Sync 8" Integrated aftermarket Pioneer GM-D8601 mono amp rated at 300 RMS Watts at 4 ohms driving rockford 12" single 4 ohm voice coil sub in a bandpass enclosure.
2011 VW Routon SE 3.6 liter Pentastar V6 (Chrysler)
post #6 of 77 Old 08-26-2014, 05:40 PM

Garage
The stock FE sub should have an amp located by the spare
post #7 of 77 Old 08-26-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by td2013 View Post
The stock FE sub should have an amp located by the spare
Yep, for the Sony 10-speaker system that unit located by the spare is the DSP and power-amp for all speakers ;-)
Elf911 likes this.

post #8 of 77 Old 08-26-2014, 11:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armando Perez View Post
Thanks again for the quick reply!
I was not looking for a pre-amp source, I'm simply trying to find the quickest, simplest way to reach an audio source without damaging any part of the vehicle, my last 2 vehicles had CanBus as well, I had to install 1 of the 2 main brands of audio level converters that provide both the low level audio and the remote on power line.
That's the entire reason I haven't installed my powered sub yet. I disassembled the dash and looked at every possible power wire there and thought "nope." And that's with years of installing speakers/amps in my cars.

It was confusing to the point that I didn't want to damage anything even with simple vampire splices. Or drain the battery because I installed it to a source that was always on.

2013 SEL 2.0L
1979 Chevy C-10 350 V-8
2002 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100

I can't keep things OEM...
post #9 of 77 Old 08-27-2014, 12:44 AM

Does a device like this solve the sub-amp power-on problem?

Pac-Audio.com Product Details | iPod Integration for your car and More by Pac-Audio - Connecting you to the future

Amazon.com: PAC TR-4 Remote Turn-on Module: Automotive Amazon.com: PAC TR-4 Remote Turn-on Module: Automotive

Then you 'steal' the L&R signal for a speaker-level amp input (and the turn-on module above) from whichever doors are most convenient to your sub-amp location? Main power for the amp from the battery directly with an appropriate fuse near the battery connection?

BTW, for a much less damaging 'tap' to any wire ... avoid scotch-lock wire-cutting types, use "Posi-Tap" instead, they have a non-cutting probe for the contact (google is your friend ;-)
darrell likes this.

post #10 of 77 Old 08-27-2014, 01:33 AM

Garage
The vampire taps I have don't cut the wire either. They cut through the insulation and connect a metal clamp around the wire to route power to your new wire.

I have the wiring diagram from the Focus Sync 9-speaker system, so I might have to get over my nerves and tackle it over the long weekend. This having nearly zero bass thing is killing my music. I just want to make sure I don't tap a constant-on wire, and unfortunately a delay module won't help with that.

It just depends on whether or not I have my car back from the dealership after getting my CV boot replaced by Friday.

2013 SEL 2.0L
1979 Chevy C-10 350 V-8
2002 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100

I can't keep things OEM...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page