2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

Fog Light replacement w/ LED - DIY? Or have a pro do it?

8K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Phelionyx 
#1 ·
Hey folks

I've been reviewing AppleFish's very informative post regarding changing the fog lights out... I know he was using HID on that post, but the same principles of disassembly and reassembly can be used to do LED fog lights.

Looking at the photos, I'm not sure this is something I'd want to do myself... the grommets that need pried out and those screws, plus the popping off of the trim plate, make me nervous.

Do you think this is something the dealer would do for me, if I paid labor? Install the vled light kit? Or... better not ask them and have someone else do it, or DIY?

#2 ·
I guess this depends on you. I'm 70 years old and did it myself. Granted I've been a mechanic all my life, but if you change your own oil, I think you would be capable to do this. There are some great posts on this forum w/pictures to guide you. For me the hardest part was reaching way in there to get at the bulbs. The LEDS I used were a straight plug in. Twist the bulb housing clockwise, pull it out, unplug the old bulb, plug in the new bulb, re-install the housing clockwise. Done! Definitely pull the wheel off to have plenty of room. I found the drivers side harder because of a black box which made getting to the bulb housing more difficult. Good luck and keep us posted.

#3 ·
Thanks! I was actually reading a few of your posts where you posted pictures of before/after with the LED and OEM lights next to each other. Said photos actually swayed me to do this. Definitely will keep the thread updated with changes!

Not a mechanic personally, but I'd say I'm mechanically inclined... why not, we'll give it a go!

#5 ·
tb to make life easier removing the clips and grommets:

Dorman Help! 49051 - Removal Tools | O'Reilly Auto Parts

has helped me big time working around my car and saving fingernails and clips..

I have these and they are very handy to have. I've used them while changing my glove box, back-up, vanity visor, rear cargo, and fog lamps. Work great without scratching anything. Great for grommets and plastic lenses.

Reactions: xr4tiboi
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.