7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 09-29-2015, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

HELP! Dashboard, radio, cluster not working!

Hello.
I bought my wife a 2013 Ford Escape SEL for a decent price thinking this will be the perfect family car. I just sold my Honda, so I took my wifes car to work today. In the morning everything was working and the car was great. I got off work today and turned the car on. The entire dashboard lights, gauges, speedometer, radio. I mean everything doesn't work. I drove the car home and it drove fine no noticeable problems.When i click the power button for the stereo it turns on and then right way the batter saver screen appears and it shuts off. This car is not safe to drive with the speedometer not working.
A/C, all outside and inside lighting, windows, locks, remote key all still work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-30-2015, 12:29 AM

You could go on a fishing trip of your own or guided by total guesses from this forum.

Probably the easiest thing for you to check is fuses, though I don't think there's a single fuse that affects only the things you mention not working that wouldn't also kill some things you say do still work.

Battery, grounds, fuses, harness splice TSB, body control module failure, etc, etc, etc, .... could be anything from simple to hard-to-find.

Logical systematic electrical circuit diagnosis means starting at the battery and going from there ...

Or you can go to the dealer, show 'em the symptoms, and let them diagnose it with the plug-in tools likely to most quickly reveal the problem.

Good luck, hope it's nothing too serious.

'14 Escape SE 2.0 FWD (25 Sep 13 build); 201A SE Convenience Package; Power Liftgate; Leather Comfort Package; Oxford White on Med Light Stone Leather (SYNC 2 w/8" MFT screen)
I love my hard-working '05 F-150 XLT 5.4 V8 trailer-towing truck, too !

Help us help you - what is your year, engine, drivetrain, trim and SYNC version?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old 09-30-2015, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT!
I ended up going through the fuse list, and singled out 5 that could've possibly been the culprits. I pulled and checked F8, F22, 69, 79, 85. All of the fuses were still functional (non blown). 85 which is for "electronic 15 feed" looked a little corroded so i took a brush to the fuse, cleaned it then popped it back in. Started the car and the dash lights up, and everything works fine now. im not sure what the electronic 15 feed is for but that was the only dirty looking fuse.
mharvey and biffsteele like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 09-30-2015, 10:58 AM

Wasn't this what the latest recall was for?

2015 Escape Ti 2.0 AWD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 Old 09-30-2015, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

I haven't heard about this recall on the 2013 ford escapes. There is one for 2015. but that's because part of the instrument panel wasn't working due to a software update. not the whole thing. my entire cluster was dead.
Newer cars more problems. :/
post #6 of 16 Old 09-30-2015, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugetastic View Post
THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT!
I ended up going through the fuse list, and singled out 5 that could've possibly been the culprits. I pulled and checked F8, F22, 69, 79, 85. All of the fuses were still functional (non blown). 85 which is for "electronic 15 feed" looked a little corroded so i took a brush to the fuse, cleaned it then popped it back in. Started the car and the dash lights up, and everything works fine now. im not sure what the electronic 15 feed is for but that was the only dirty looking fuse.
Just FYI F85 is for heated seats controls, in-vehicle temperature sensor and roof opening panel module (per Workshop Manual Wiring Diagrams). So I'm guessing that one wasn't the real issue.

I suspect that what you accomplished by the pull-and-check of that list of fuses is, by briefly cutting the constant key-off power feed, allow one or more errant control modules to 'reset' and now behave 'nice'.

In any case, good work and we'll hope the fix 'sticks'.

Just for grins, IF it happens again, try pulling only F69 for the IPC module and see if that fixes it. If it does and you have warranty remaining, maybe share that info with the dealer and see if they'll run diagnostics on that module for no fee.
atlcarl69 likes this.

'14 Escape SE 2.0 FWD (25 Sep 13 build); 201A SE Convenience Package; Power Liftgate; Leather Comfort Package; Oxford White on Med Light Stone Leather (SYNC 2 w/8" MFT screen)

Help us help you - what is your year, engine, drivetrain, trim and SYNC version?
post #7 of 16 Old 09-30-2015, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

46k miles D:. so i'm all on my own. i did call the dealer and all they said was i don't know, why don't you bring it in. and i wasn't able to find any info or similar problems. but if this issue repeats (i hope it doesn't) i will try pulling just 69.
post #8 of 16 Old 09-30-2015, 06:57 PM

Garage
The battery saver system might need to be reset by the dealer. It is capable of incorrectly thinking there is a voltage issue and shutdown the systems you specified although is not supposed to do so when the engine is running.

2013 Escape SE 2.0 - FWD - Sterling Gray - 10/12 Build Date
post #9 of 16 Old 09-30-2015, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugetastic View Post
46k miles D:. so i'm all on my own. ......
We'll hope for the best.

If nothing else perhaps your experience is a reminder to us that sometimes when things go wonky all that's needed is a true "power-off-re-boot" to allow things to reset and remember how to 'play nice'.

The only way to accomplish anything close to that 'across the board' on the FE is to pull the negative battery cable off the body ground lug for a few minutes (key-off does NOT equal systems power-off for much of the FE). That might be a worthwhile 'tool' in the 'DIY kit' for owners trying to fix mysterious electrical behaviors.

You did the selective equivalent of that on a few systems with your fuse-pulls.

post #10 of 16 Old 09-30-2015, 07:15 PM

edit NM

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page