LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 10-08-2013, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Trailer Brake Controller

Hello everyone. I have a customer that ordered a 2014 SE in sunset with the 2.0L and factory tow package. We're having a local installer put in a Prodigy 2 brake controller, but they haven't done one in a new Escape yet. I'm certain they will have no problem with the wiring, but we're both scratching our heads on a good location to mount the controller. The knee airbag and the new center console makes picking a location tricky. The controller can be mounted any direction in the axis, but it must be mounted perpendicular to the direction of travel. Any suggestions?

Ford Salesman in New Brunswick, Canada.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-08-2013, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Welcome to the Forum, that Sunset color, I can't wait too see it with my own eyes, cause it looks sweet in the pictures everyone shares.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-08-2013, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Don't know bout knee clearance, but what bout around the OBD cover, or some type of Ram mount rigging. So it can be on the windshield or cup holder, etc.
post #4 of 9 Old 10-08-2013, 02:24 PM

OBD cover

I mounted my prodigy 2 on the obd cover itself using the sleeve option. I made sure it doesn't overlap the knee airbag panel. I haven't towed yet but I mounted it as low as I could so there won't be much weight on the obd cover. if the cover pops out, I'm prepared to drill a screw. As you have discovered, not a lot of places to mount one. Etrailer said up on the cd shelf...NOT!!

2013 FE SEL 2.0L FWD (Ingot silver) w/ tow pkg
post #5 of 9 Old 10-08-2013, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
what bout creating a sun visor clip and run it up the A pillar
post #6 of 9 Old 10-08-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotattitude View Post
what bout creating a sun visor clip and run it up the A pillar
Not a good idea. These have to be solidly mounted and then adjusted accordingly. You also need to be able to reach it in case of emergency. I prefer real close to my right hand.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-08-2013, 04:52 PM

Just wondering if anybody knows what wire the brake controller goes to on the brake switch. I will be needing to hook one up in the spring and haven't really been able to find an answer. Thanks
post #8 of 9 Old 10-08-2013, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

The proportioning style controller needs to be solidly mounted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maztek View Post
I mounted my prodigy 2 on the obd cover itself using the sleeve option. I made sure it doesn't overlap the knee airbag panel. I haven't towed yet but I mounted it as low as I could so there won't be much weight on the obd cover. if the cover pops out, I'm prepared to drill a screw. As you have discovered, not a lot of places to mount one. Etrailer said up on the cd shelf...NOT!!
I was looking at the ODB cover thinking the same thing. Any issues with leg clearance?

Ford Salesman in New Brunswick, Canada.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-09-2013, 02:36 PM

prodigy 2

The prodigy is pretty slim. Like I said, I used the sleeve mounting method that cradles the prodigy, so the sleeve is permanently mounted and i've never hit it getting in or out. Sure it's not eye level, but you can still look down and see the display, though once set up, there's really no need. Also it's close enough to reach down to the manual actuator slider lever. I tried duct taping the controller around the cabin, and I found this to be the best spot. As for the brake wire switch, I'll try a photo later. I wrote up my install on another thread on towing...

2013 FE SEL 2.0L FWD (Ingot silver) w/ tow pkg

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page