2Likes
  • 2 Post By Gak2014

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 01-08-2017, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

LED Headlights

I see on the new Explorers they have LED Headlights but it looks like there not projector lens. I've been trying to decide if I wanted to convert my over to the LED but I'm a bit neverous of light output. DDM makes 3 different ones that look pretty awesome with a 3 year warranty.
I have Silverstar Ultras currently for Headlights and Crystal Vision for my fogs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-08-2017, 07:14 PM

If you don't have projectors, simple answer Don't. I tries LED in my reflector headlight and the beam patters was all over the place. The biggest problem was oncoming car. The unfocused light output is so big that you will blind everyone coming towards you. I took them off after 2 weeks. HID will be the same.
centex and atlcarl69 like this.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-09-2017, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I tried several LEDs, with and without the ballast but keep getting the low voltage readouts and my LEDS wouldn't not work, so I am back to Halogens.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hey, look. "Esc-a-pay". Hey, it's spelled just like escape

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 01-11-2017, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotattitude View Post
I tried several LEDs, with and without the ballast but keep getting the low voltage readouts and my LEDS wouldn't not work, so I am back to Halogens.
I've been wondering the same thing. I see DDM Tuning has some new 40 watt LED lights with the balast but I'm pretty sure they would require the decoder as well.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-11-2017, 07:02 PM

Don't buy any LED kits- you'll be wasting your money. A lot of them (ie. any decent kit) will have massive heatsinks on the rear of the bulb- these are required for any high power LED as they do generate a lot of heat. The heatsinks often result in you needing to leave the rear cover off the headlight as they can't physically fit inside the headlight assembly. That could result in water getting inside the headlight and definitely dust.

Others have already gone into the issues with the LED replacement bulbs not matching the shape and light output of the halogen bulbs- so you end up with a beam pattern that doesn't direct the light where it should. So, you'll quite likely have less viewing distance and also other drivers will most likely be blinded by the headlights.

Brighter halogen bulbs are available that often work quite well (eg. Philips X-treme and Osram Night Breaker ) . Otherwise, you'd be better off getting hold of a set of factory HID headlights.

David

2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
post #6 of 10 Old 01-11-2017, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murcod View Post
Don't buy any LED kits- you'll be wasting your money. A lot of them (ie. any decent kit) will have massive heatsinks on the rear of the bulb- these are required for any high power LED as they do generate a lot of heat. The heatsinks often result in you needing to leave the rear cover off the headlight as they can't physically fit inside the headlight assembly. That could result in water getting inside the headlight and definitely dust.

Others have already gone into the issues with the LED replacement bulbs not matching the shape and light output of the halogen bulbs- so you end up with a beam pattern that doesn't direct the light where it should. So, you'll quite likely have less viewing distance and also other drivers will most likely be blinded by the headlights.

Brighter halogen bulbs are available that often work quite well (eg. Philips X-treme and Osram Night Breaker ) . Otherwise, you'd be better off getting hold of a set of factory HID headlights.
The heatsink will fit in the cavity and the cover can stay on but you would need to make a little cut out in the rubber cover. I had mine in for a few months and didn't notice much dust or water contamination. Having said that, I wholly agree that LED don't give out the same beam pattern as the original halogen, neither will a HID bulb in a reflector case. You will be disappointed in the light output and you will basically blind everyone.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-11-2017, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

I have Silverstar Ultras in both low and high beams now. Just looks weird with the led marker lights so I was hoping to match the color.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-12-2017, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gak2014 View Post
The heatsink will fit in the cavity and the cover can stay on but you would need to make a little cut out in the rubber cover. I had mine in for a few months and didn't notice much dust or water contamination. Having said that, I wholly agree that LED don't give out the same beam pattern as the original halogen, neither will a HID bulb in a reflector case. You will be disappointed in the light output and you will basically blind everyone.
Yes, I was talking about genuine factory HID headlights (not the kits), if you can't get the OEM HID head lights for the Escape then some from a European LHD Kuga should do.

David

post #9 of 10 Old 01-12-2017, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradkamin View Post
I have Silverstar Ultras in both low and high beams now. Just looks weird with the led marker lights so I was hoping to match the color.
I assume aftermarket LED marker bulbs and not the factory DRLs? You might need to try a few different types/ brands of the marker bulb to get one to match your Ultras.

David

post #10 of 10 Old 01-15-2017, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Yes they are aftermarket LED Marker lights on the bottom. Was able to use the same lights for the cargo area, license plate, marker lights on the bottom and also the lights on the top next to the headlights. Would really like the fog lights to match now. Currently have Phillips Crystal Vision fog lights and Silverstar Ultra Headlights
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3805_1484514370270.jpg (97.7 KB, 29 views)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page