2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 45 Old 09-08-2013, 08:34 PM

Just got one installed yesterday, I'm pretty sure it was a Directed Electronics product (the tech said that I could add SmartStart to it. It uses my existing Ford key fob, I press the lock button 3 times to start the car. Range is obviously limited by fob power, but it works great, and everything still works good on the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 45 Old 09-09-2013, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlikey2 View Post
Just got one installed yesterday, I'm pretty sure it was a Directed Electronics product (the tech said that I could add SmartStart to it. It uses my existing Ford key fob, I press the lock button 3 times to start the car. Range is obviously limited by fob power, but it works great, and everything still works good on the car.

Not just fob power, but the extended antenna in the vehicle. Funny enough, I had a remote start put into my honda, and I paid for the extended antenna, but still wasn't pulling the range. He took my DEI fob, opened it sandwiched another battery and boom extended range. lol.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hey, look. "Esc-a-pay". Hey, it's spelled just like escape

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #23 of 45 Old 09-09-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotattitude View Post
Not just fob power, but the extended antenna in the vehicle. Funny enough, I had a remote start put into my honda, and I paid for the extended antenna, but still wasn't pulling the range. He took my DEI fob, opened it sandwiched another battery and boom extended range. lol.
Yeah, basically I wanted a stopgap between now and when I get the SmartStart put in, probably next year. Right now I work from home, so the range just has to reach the driveway, but when I move my company into an office building next spring, Im going to want two way comm and that nice "anywhere in the world" range you get from the app. I did find a neat trick though, if the key is in the car and it's started, you can do kind of "reverse remote start" in that you can press the lock button three times, then pull the key out and the engine stays running. I use that when I go into grab kids at school, pretty nice.
strykerlover likes this.

2013 SE, Ingot Silver, 2.0L, 201a and Tow Package. 18" Polished with Conti's, SYNC with MyFord Touch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 45 Old 10-15-2013, 09:29 AM

SE Remote Start

I'm thinking of adding a aftermarket remote start to our se. I think i will go with the 2-way viper over a factory one. I want to just have one key fob for starter and lock/unlock. I am having a hard time finding out if i need a special module or have to give up a spare key. I have done a few remote start installs before, but has been a few years and was hoping someone has done one with on the se. All help will be great! thanks
post #25 of 45 Old 10-15-2013, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
There are units now that don't require a spare key anymore.

Hey, look. "Esc-a-pay". Hey, it's spelled just like escape

post #26 of 45 Old 12-07-2013, 04:31 PM

aftermarket.. not OEM

Hi, just purchased a 2013 Ford Escape SE from a lease company.

You mentioned that the OEM purchased then after research found that aftermarket one was installed at the dealership. Shouldn't the dealership be responsible to replace another one for you since you paid for an OEM?

thanks.

Had the same shut off issue with the 2012 Ford Escape. Not sure if the auto starter is OEM or aftermarket. Upon opening the door, the engine would shut off and also the range wasn't too good either. Thought the battery was low or bad until read from this forum that it design with poor range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1ss1ngFL View Post
Contacted Ford Customer Support yesterday. The person I talked to seemed suprised that the Ford remote start (without push button start) shuts off when any door/hatch is opened. After a while of researching and calling other departments, it was found that the Ford aftermarket remote start system WILL SHUT OFF when any door/hatch is opened. So it looks like I'll be getting a Viper to replace the Ford system, I'd rather do that now than replace a starter in the middle of the winter. Just thought I'd let everyone know in case they're thinking of getting one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1ss1ngFL View Post
I too bought the OEM and I'm really upset that the engine shuts off when you open the door. It seems like this would put a bit of a strain on the starter to use it twice every morning for the 6 months of cold I get up here each year. You'd think that is something the dealership would mention since they had me test drive one with the push button start that stayed on after using the remote start. Maybe some smart guy out there will find a fix for this (hint hint).
post #27 of 45 Old 12-07-2013, 04:58 PM

I wonder if cars without push button start, shut down upon opening the door as a feature to prevent grinding the stater when the key is inserted and turned beyond run. Maybe some folks didn't understand that the key should only be turned to run, not start, Ford was getting complaints and demands for new starters and changed the set up. I say this because my 2010 Fusion and 2012 Focus, both with dealer installed factory remote starters and without keyless start, did not shut down when the door was opened.

Ordered 3/8/16
2017 Fusion SE, FWD
1.5L EcoBoost
202A, SE Luxury Pkg
Driver Assist Pkg
Technology Pkg
Moonroof
NAV
White Gold Metallic
post #28 of 45 Old 12-07-2013, 10:25 PM

My dealership pretty much said too bad. I'm going to end up getting one that does not shut off. I just wish the dealership was knowledgeable enough to inform me before installing it. 2013_escape, it makes sense that Ford would've made that change. It's just too bad that stupid people cause me more of an inconvenience than normal.
post #29 of 45 Old 12-07-2013, 11:14 PM

Garage
Plug in Remote Start Car Starter 2010 2013 Ford Fusion Mustang Taurus Focus Edge | eBay

2013 1.6T Escape SE 4WD on Tuxedo Black (built JUN-12) - Door "Wolf" sill protectors Front/Rear - after market rear view mirror with integrated display for rear view camera - aftermarket rear parking sensors - aftermarket LED DRL's.
post #30 of 45 Old 12-20-2013, 12:07 AM

Garage
I have a Viper Starter/Alarm System installed by a local outfit and it works well but not perfectly. I was told that the computer system in 2014 was different from the one in 2013 model and the integration software for the Viper model that I bought was not fully utilized for the 2014 yet. The starter/alarm work flawlessly, but the door unlock function does not work 100% of the time when you are unlocking the car without starting the remote starter (therefore you will have to use the Ford remote to unlock). I love the 2 way feature and worth the extra cost IMHO. I've had one way remote starter systems in our other vehicles before and I hate guessing if my vehicle actually started, nice to know if your car actually started via the remote. I also love the 5,000 ft range of the Viper. My installer promised to call me once they get the software fixed.

2014 Sunset Red SE 2.0L

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page