2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 Old 05-04-2013, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Best remote starter for SE?

Hello guys any opinion about installing a remote starter for our new ford escape? Idont know if its a good idea to buy an aftermarket remote starter or i'll just go at the dealership,What is your advice? The thing that i dont like oem remotes are the range is only around 200-400 meters, ineed a wider range thats why i kind a think of buying an aftermarket remote like viper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 05-06-2013, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
If you go the aftermarket just make sure you don't need another key, to put in the brain of the remote starter. But going OEM, most likely its always a safer install Since Aftermarkets are universal, where the OEM, there is usually harnesses and setups built into the car for future installs.

Remote Start System - Bi-Directional, Without Push Button Start | The Official Site for Ford Custom Accessories

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hey, look. "Esc-a-pay". Hey, it's spelled just like escape

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 45 Old 05-06-2013, 11:10 AM

If I was getting a remote starter I'd get an alarm too. Most aftermarket remote starters disable the immobilizer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 Old 05-06-2013, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
That is true if you go aftermarket, you might as well get the alarm

post #5 of 45 Old 05-07-2013, 07:53 AM

Especially if you disable the immobilizer. There are new alarm systems that are GPS tracked via your phone and you can lock/unlock/start/turn off your car from your phone no matter where you are.
post #6 of 45 Old 05-07-2013, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I know Apple is looking to get into the game and have been talking with auto companies to integrate their line of products into the vehicle to do such things.

post #7 of 45 Old 05-07-2013, 09:05 AM

That alone would make me move back to Apple.
post #8 of 45 Old 05-12-2013, 08:39 PM

I bought the OEM because I thought it'd be better. The range is horrible and it shuts off when the door is opened which is stupid so I'm continually starting the car twice. If I had it to do over again I'd by the Viper. Had it on my last car. You can get a model with an alarm included for only a little more than the OEM (with no alarm), range was 4 times better and the car stays running when door is opened. The safety feature kills the motor only if the brake pedal is pressed without the key being turned. So you can get in the car, put the key in & turn it. Then put your foot on the break and no restart is needed.
post #9 of 45 Old 05-13-2013, 08:08 AM

Yep that is how most aftermarket systems work.

By the way the system I have experience with that works with your phone is the Compustar DRONE
post #10 of 45 Old 05-23-2013, 11:09 PM

I too bought the OEM and I'm really upset that the engine shuts off when you open the door. It seems like this would put a bit of a strain on the starter to use it twice every morning for the 6 months of cold I get up here each year. You'd think that is something the dealership would mention since they had me test drive one with the push button start that stayed on after using the remote start. Maybe some smart guy out there will find a fix for this (hint hint).

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page