2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

Best remote starter for SE?

118K views 44 replies 22 participants last post by  Stockman 
#1 ·
Hello guys any opinion about installing a remote starter for our new ford escape? Idont know if its a good idea to buy an aftermarket remote starter or i'll just go at the dealership,What is your advice? The thing that i dont like oem remotes are the range is only around 200-400 meters, ineed a wider range thats why i kind a think of buying an aftermarket remote like viper.

#2 ·
#8 ·
I bought the OEM because I thought it'd be better. The range is horrible and it shuts off when the door is opened which is stupid so I'm continually starting the car twice. If I had it to do over again I'd by the Viper. Had it on my last car. You can get a model with an alarm included for only a little more than the OEM (with no alarm), range was 4 times better and the car stays running when door is opened. The safety feature kills the motor only if the brake pedal is pressed without the key being turned. So you can get in the car, put the key in & turn it. Then put your foot on the break and no restart is needed.

#10 ·
I too bought the OEM and I'm really upset that the engine shuts off when you open the door. It seems like this would put a bit of a strain on the starter to use it twice every morning for the 6 months of cold I get up here each year. You'd think that is something the dealership would mention since they had me test drive one with the push button start that stayed on after using the remote start. Maybe some smart guy out there will find a fix for this (hint hint).

#12 ·
It's a "safety feature" the dealership told me AFTER they installed it. Literally once you open any door or the rear hatch while the remote start is engaged, the engine shuts off. I've never seen anything like that before and it really makes me want to put in an aftermarket one that wont shut off.

#13 ·
Wow, I have never heard that and want to call it Fluff. the safety feature is that if you step on the gas pedal or something like that the vehicle shuts off, to prevent someone trying to drive off with that... It sounds like snakes oil. If you can I would get something in writing/ even a manual that states that one. My Remote start is factory, and I can do and get in and out of the vehicle while its running (Rem St) then when I am ready hit the brake pedal and ignition, and good to go.

#16 ·
Contacted Ford Customer Support yesterday. The person I talked to seemed suprised that the Ford remote start (without push button start) shuts off when any door/hatch is opened. After a while of researching and calling other departments, it was found that the Ford aftermarket remote start system WILL SHUT OFF when any door/hatch is opened. So it looks like I'll be getting a Viper to replace the Ford system, I'd rather do that now than replace a starter in the middle of the winter. Just thought I'd let everyone know in case they're thinking of getting one.

#26 ·
aftermarket.. not OEM

Hi, just purchased a 2013 Ford Escape SE from a lease company.

You mentioned that the OEM purchased then after research found that aftermarket one was installed at the dealership. Shouldn't the dealership be responsible to replace another one for you since you paid for an OEM?

thanks.

Had the same shut off issue with the 2012 Ford Escape. Not sure if the auto starter is OEM or aftermarket. Upon opening the door, the engine would shut off and also the range wasn't too good either. Thought the battery was low or bad until read from this forum that it design with poor range.

I too bought the OEM and I'm really upset that the engine shuts off when you open the door. It seems like this would put a bit of a strain on the starter to use it twice every morning for the 6 months of cold I get up here each year. You'd think that is something the dealership would mention since they had me test drive one with the push button start that stayed on after using the remote start. Maybe some smart guy out there will find a fix for this (hint hint).

#19 · (Edited)
For the cost of the Ford system, you can get the delphi/verizon gadget that is awesome, I'm seriously thinking of getting it. You can do remote start, tracking, diagnostics, etc. from your smartphone. It has a monthly fee though, which sucks.

Vehicle Diagnostics By Delphi | Verizon Wireless - Verizon Wireless

Edit: it looks like factory remote start is required for it to work anyway. oh well.

#21 ·
Just got one installed yesterday, I'm pretty sure it was a Directed Electronics product (the tech said that I could add SmartStart to it. It uses my existing Ford key fob, I press the lock button 3 times to start the car. Range is obviously limited by fob power, but it works great, and everything still works good on the car.

#24 ·
SE Remote Start

I'm thinking of adding a aftermarket remote start to our se. I think i will go with the 2-way viper over a factory one. I want to just have one key fob for starter and lock/unlock. I am having a hard time finding out if i need a special module or have to give up a spare key. I have done a few remote start installs before, but has been a few years and was hoping someone has done one with on the se. All help will be great! thanks

#27 ·
I wonder if cars without push button start, shut down upon opening the door as a feature to prevent grinding the stater when the key is inserted and turned beyond run. Maybe some folks didn't understand that the key should only be turned to run, not start, Ford was getting complaints and demands for new starters and changed the set up. I say this because my 2010 Fusion and 2012 Focus, both with dealer installed factory remote starters and without keyless start, did not shut down when the door was opened.

#32 ·
No. When the engine is started and you crank the key, the starter does not engage so grinding is a thing of the past :)

#28 ·
My dealership pretty much said too bad. I'm going to end up getting one that does not shut off. I just wish the dealership was knowledgeable enough to inform me before installing it. 2013_escape, it makes sense that Ford would've made that change. It's just too bad that stupid people cause me more of an inconvenience than normal. :)

#30 ·
I have a Viper Starter/Alarm System installed by a local outfit and it works well but not perfectly. I was told that the computer system in 2014 was different from the one in 2013 model and the integration software for the Viper model that I bought was not fully utilized for the 2014 yet. The starter/alarm work flawlessly, but the door unlock function does not work 100% of the time when you are unlocking the car without starting the remote starter (therefore you will have to use the Ford remote to unlock). I love the 2 way feature and worth the extra cost IMHO. I've had one way remote starter systems in our other vehicles before and I hate guessing if my vehicle actually started, nice to know if your car actually started via the remote. I also love the 5,000 ft range of the Viper. My installer promised to call me once they get the software fixed.

#31 ·
I had a Ford OEM starter installed in my 2013 SE. When I push and hold the button on the remote starter fob the car beeps the horn once, the lights come on and the car starts. After the car starts the horn beeps once again. It does not shut off when I open the door. I don't have the push button start, my car has a key.

I start the car remotely, walk out to the car and unlock the door with the button on my key. You have to put the key in the ignition and turn the key to on. If you don't and you push the brake pedal to put the car in gear, it will shut off (anti-theft feature).

The car will only run 10 minutes when remotely started then shuts off if you didn't put the key in the ignition and turn the key to on. You can remotely start the car once more.

I do wish the car would run 15 minutes. 10 minutes is not long enough when the temps are in the teens or below. On those morning, I start the car before I get in the shower and once more when I'm getting dressed. By that time the windows are all defrosted and the car is warm and toasty.

#38 ·
This is exactly the one we have and love. I did have it adjusted so it runs the max at 15 minutes though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.