4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 40 Old 04-15-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flitchel View Post
It's me again! Happened again, about an hour ago. Getting it towed to the dealership tonight and then going in tomorrow afternoon to have a nice little chit-chat with a manager.

Sigh. We just want a working car, not this....
Flitchel,

I got your PM and responded this morning. Your CSM should be reaching out ASAP.

Ashley

FORD SERVICE

p: 800.392.FORD
t:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

f:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 40 Old 04-16-2014, 10:16 PM

Garage
Tsb 13-12-12

1.6l or 2.0l gtdi engine - drivability concerns with dtcs p0106, p0236 - or engine fault service engine now message without dtcs - built on or before 10/24/2013

FORD:
2013-2014 Escape
This article supersedes TSB 13-7-5 to add a production fix date, update the vehicle model years, Issue Statement, Part List and Service Procedure.

ISSUE
Some 2013-2014 Escape vehicles equipped with 1.6L or 2.0L Gasoline Turbocharged Direct Injection (GTDI) engines and built on or before 10/24/2013 may exhibit difficult to start, runs rough, crank no-start, lack of power, loss of RPM or hesitation concerns with diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P0106 and/or P0236. An Engine Fault Service Engine Now message may also be displayed without any DTCs in self test. These conditions may be caused by a wiring concern in the signal return splices.

2014 Ford Escape SE FWD 1.6L, DOB: 2013/12/20.
post #23 of 40 Old 04-17-2014, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanat View Post
1.6l or 2.0l gtdi engine - drivability concerns with dtcs p0106, p0236 - or engine fault service engine now message without dtcs - built on or before 10/24/2013

FORD:
2013-2014 Escape
This article supersedes TSB 13-7-5 to add a production fix date, update the vehicle model years, Issue Statement, Part List and Service Procedure.

ISSUE
Some 2013-2014 Escape vehicles equipped with 1.6L or 2.0L Gasoline Turbocharged Direct Injection (GTDI) engines and built on or before 10/24/2013 may exhibit difficult to start, runs rough, crank no-start, lack of power, loss of RPM or hesitation concerns with diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P0106 and/or P0236. An Engine Fault Service Engine Now message may also be displayed without any DTCs in self test. These conditions may be caused by a wiring concern in the signal return splices.
That TSB does not apply, the OP said it would not crank and the TSB said it would crank but not start.
Mark

2014 Sunset Titanium FWD 2.0L FE
Panno sunroof, Tow Package
Build Date 2/3/14 Day after my Hawks won!
Go Hawks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 40 Old 04-17-2014, 03:20 AM

Garage
Ah...reading failed. Sorry about that.

2014 Ford Escape SE FWD 1.6L, DOB: 2013/12/20.
post #25 of 40 Old 10-23-2014, 12:37 PM

I'm also experiencing a similar issue with my 2014 Ford Escape Titanium, but I believe the system fails to recognize the fobs when it gets hot.

To test this, when we've parked the car in the sun for a couple of hours, the fobs fail to recognize until we set them to the steering column and press the ignition.

When I've parked it in the shade, the issue didn't reoccur for several days.

However, I've also seen it when temperature shouldn't be an issue, like the early evening (although I had been driving for several hours, so the internal sensor may have been hot from the engine).

Is there a way to enable verbose logging, or a remote logging option which will log these errors where they can be accessed? The failure to find the key errors are not in the system, according to the Dealer. Is there a manual test which can be run on that system?

Reading this, I also intend on having them test the battery, and I'm checking for related TSBs. I intend on having #ASI-44360 , #TSB-13-12-12 , #ASI-44389 investigated.

any thoughts appreciated,

-Ben.
post #26 of 40 Old 10-23-2014, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

The OP has returned!!!

So, sorry for the long delay. As I believe I stated in my posts, my girlfriend (now wife) was pregnant. Needless to say I've been a bit preoccupied with being a new dad and all those sleepless nights that come with it. Well worth it though, I must say.

Anyways, back to the point. I had been meaning to give you guys an update as to the situation so any future people that log in here can have somewhere or something to point to next time they try to get this issue fixed. I just got an update/email saying a new person posted which reminded me to finally do just that.

It's the starter. Shortly after my last post in March or April or whenever it was we went into the dealership. I kept mentioning it sounded like the starter was trying to fire and just failing (click, try again, click, try again, click, try again, until eventually no more clicks). Finally a technician listened to me and did a diagnostic test on the starter and deemed it was faulty and replaced it.

Ever since the starter has been replaced, there have been zero issues and has started up 100% of the time without fail or even a slight hiccup. It's been nearly 4 months now (if not more). It's been in cold weather (~40degrees), warm weather, hot weather (~95+ degrees), in direct sunlight, etc. and has started each of those times.

So long story short, if you're having this issue have them look at the starter. I was finally glad to have this solved and I hope this helps anyone else who gets this unfortunate manufacturer defect with their new car.

Take care!
bjeans likes this.
post #27 of 40 Old 10-23-2014, 01:07 PM

Garage
Seems logical to me, that if a vehicle won't start, the first place that should be diagnosed would be the battery and the starter.

It's a shame it took so long for them to figure it out. Glad your back on the road!

2014 Escape Titanium AWD 2.0L Turbo - Bright Silver
(Upgrading to a '15 F150!)
2008 Pontiac G8 GT 6.0L W/Bolt-ons - Stealth Blue
(Keeping for life!)
post #28 of 40 Old 10-23-2014, 02:50 PM

Um, if everyone will direct their attention to post 9 of this thread I believe someone called it.
Mark

2014 Sunset Titanium FWD 2.0L FE
Panno sunroof, Tow Package
Build Date 2/3/14 Day after my Hawks won!
Go Hawks!
post #29 of 40 Old 10-24-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_Mac View Post
I'm also experiencing a similar issue with my 2014 Ford Escape Titanium, but I believe the system fails to recognize the fobs when it gets hot.

To test this, when we've parked the car in the sun for a couple of hours, the fobs fail to recognize until we set them to the steering column and press the ignition.

When I've parked it in the shade, the issue didn't reoccur for several days.

However, I've also seen it when temperature shouldn't be an issue, like the early evening (although I had been driving for several hours, so the internal sensor may have been hot from the engine).

Is there a way to enable verbose logging, or a remote logging option which will log these errors where they can be accessed? The failure to find the key errors are not in the system, according to the Dealer. Is there a manual test which can be run on that system?

Reading this, I also intend on having them test the battery, and I'm checking for related TSBs. I intend on having #ASI-44360 , #TSB-13-12-12 , #ASI-44389 investigated.

any thoughts appreciated,

-Ben.
Ben_Mac,

I sent you a response via PM.

Please check your inbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flitchel View Post
So, sorry for the long delay. As I believe I stated in my posts, my girlfriend (now wife) was pregnant. Needless to say I've been a bit preoccupied with being a new dad and all those sleepless nights that come with it. Well worth it though, I must say.

Anyways, back to the point. I had been meaning to give you guys an update as to the situation so any future people that log in here can have somewhere or something to point to next time they try to get this issue fixed. I just got an update/email saying a new person posted which reminded me to finally do just that.

It's the starter. Shortly after my last post in March or April or whenever it was we went into the dealership. I kept mentioning it sounded like the starter was trying to fire and just failing (click, try again, click, try again, click, try again, until eventually no more clicks). Finally a technician listened to me and did a diagnostic test on the starter and deemed it was faulty and replaced it.

Ever since the starter has been replaced, there have been zero issues and has started up 100% of the time without fail or even a slight hiccup. It's been nearly 4 months now (if not more). It's been in cold weather (~40degrees), warm weather, hot weather (~95+ degrees), in direct sunlight, etc. and has started each of those times.

So long story short, if you're having this issue have them look at the starter. I was finally glad to have this solved and I hope this helps anyone else who gets this unfortunate manufacturer defect with their new car.

Take care!
Flitchel,

Thanks for the update and I’m glad to learn that things are going well your way.

Have a great weekend!

Tricia

FORD SERVICE

p: 800.392.FORD
t:

f:

post #30 of 40 Old 10-25-2014, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadmic View Post
I can almost guarantee its a bad starter or starter solenoid if the car has a separate solinode from the starter. More than likely the starter and solenoid are a unit and replacing the starter will cure your problem.
I'm a shop foreman for the motor pool of a large utility company and I have herd the exact symptoms you described many time and the cure is almost always the starter. And yes even new cars can have a bad starter its just not as likely as old ones.
Mark
From post #9 in the thread.
leadmic likes this.

2013 Ford Escape, 2.0 Titanium, 4WD, Frosted Glass - build date 4/16/13
2003 Subaru Forester
1999 Subaru Forester
and more

Tags
2014 escape titanium , not starting , push start

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page