4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 Old 03-31-2014, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Angry 2014 Ford Escape Titanium - Intermittent Failure to Start

Hello,

I apologize if this is a repeat post or if this is the wrong forum to post in. I am a first time poster on this forum and joined (unfortunately) for bad reasons. I will try to give as much information as possible in hopes that someone out there can help point me/us in the right direction.

My (6 months pregnant) girlfriend/fiancee recently bought a brand new 2014 Ford Escape Titanium three weeks ago (first week or so of March). The car had ~200 miles on it when she drove it off the lot.

1st incident: Everything was fine until a week later after stopping to grab a bite to eat, the car would not start. We would hear a click click click and nothing. Everything would power on internally and externally. Keyfob had plenty of juice (could unlock/lock the car from far away). The screen would say "press brake to start" as it normally would, but nothing we did would start the car. Remote start failed, powering off and back on would not work, nothing worked. The brake pedal at this point was hard as a rock and even me putting all my weight on it couldn't get it to move. The car was definitly in park and the brake pedal was again, hard as rock. We tried looking in the manual and followed the "if car does not start" section, to no avail.

We called roadside and they sent someone to jump the car. Which I knew wouldn't work, but hey, you never know. This too failed and forced us to tow the car to the dealership. Once there, the problem magically went away and after having the car for a couple days, sent her back home saying "we couldn't find anything".

2nd incident: Two/three weeks later (March 28th) She was visiting a friends house when the problem arose again. Her friends' friend was able to mash on the brake and finally get it to start after 20+ min of nothing. She managed to get the entire incident on video to take the dealership to show exactly what was happening (very smart on her part )

3rd incident: Three days later (today, March 31st) Same thing, leaving to come home, car will not start, brake tighter than normal, nothing she can do will make the car start. She is having roadside tow the car to the nearest dealership (she is in NY visiting family).

At this point, I don't know what to do. I'm having her fill out a NHTSA report just in case something happens on the road and to make an official record of this for use later. The car is BRAND NEW and should not be having these issues. The reason we got the car is for her (and our future kid) to be safe. Clearly, this isn't working out like we had hoped.

Does anyone have any ideas or things to mention for when she goes to the dealership? Anyone have any similar experiences? This is my/our first experience with Ford's and I have to say I'm not very impressed.

Please help

Edit: Just remembered a few things of note. When the guy came to jump the car for the 1st incident, the battery was at 1/2 to 3/4 charge, which is more than enough to start a car (although why a new car is already that low on juice is a seperate issue entirely). Secondly, the click click click when trying to start fades away after the 3rd or 4th attempt. Eventually there is no sound whatsoever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 03-31-2014, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Well, may not be able to help out entirely, but can shed some light, sounds like your friend has a traditional key as you stated turning and hear clicking. The holding down the brake pedal though nothing wrong in doing that, is how one goes about turning the E or any push button start application.

The reason why the brakes feel stiff, is if you keep pressing the brake while the vehicle is off, your are building the pressure in the brake system, which leads to clamping force of your calipers to brake pads to brake rotor. In simpler terms when applying brake pressure when the vehicle is off is like you grabbing onto something with your hands tighter and tighter till it can't budge. This is great when your parked on a hill or such.

Though you are correct this shouldn't be happening with a brand new vehicle, but things do happen and they never happen in convenient times. It was great in capturing it on video perhaps post it up on a website youtube or such to share with other members.

From what it sounds like is that you have a drain on the battery, a cell(s) gone bad in the battery and or the alternator is not producing enough power to charge the battery. The 2013 did suffer from a power drain if the vehicle was left not running for a period of time. You can see if you can have the dealership run a full battery test ( which does a full drain and charge) too see how the battery is handling. They can also run tests too see how much power is being drawn off the battery when the vehicle is off. Can check for an OASIS report to see if there is a TSB that fits your situation.

If you have continued issues, we do have a Ford Rep among us, Ashley, she is quite helpful in situations like this and will provide assistance in getting you connected with regional managers. The other thing you can also try is a different dealership for the repair. Not all dealerships have the same trained mechanics. IOW, Dealership B has a better Transmission Mechanic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hey, look. "Esc-a-pay". Hey, it's spelled just like escape

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 40 Old 03-31-2014, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the response, the car is completely keyless (just a keyfob). So no turning of the ignition involved, just a press of the brake and the push button to get it to start.

I will pass along the info about the power drain in hopes that sparks some semblance of an idea to the mechanics. The car is going to a different dealership (we live in VA, she is in NY at the moment), so hopefully a different set of eyes can diagnose something the first guys missed.

I know things do happen, I'm definitely one of those guys that just rolls with the punches (stuff happens, all the time), just in this case I'm a little more sensitive seeing as she's pregnant and the entire point of getting this car was to keep her and the baby safe, not to potentially have it randomly fail to start in a dark parking lot in the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere.

Again, thanks for the response and I will keep this thread updated as I get more information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 Old 03-31-2014, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Have you tried this with both keyfobs with the same issue?

Hey, look. "Esc-a-pay". Hey, it's spelled just like escape

post #5 of 40 Old 03-31-2014, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Negative, all three incident were away from our home where the spare keyfob is located. Like I mentioned, the keyfob worked in all other capacities with ease during each incident so it's unlikely a keyfob (to me at least). Could be something worth checking out on their end though.
post #6 of 40 Old 03-31-2014, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

Flitchel, it might be a good idea to get our Ford customer service rep involved. While Ford does not own and is not an affiliate of this forum, we have several reps assigned to our forum. Ashley is the U.S. customer service rep and if you or your fiancee sends a PM (private message) to FordService (no space) with your fiancee's name, phone number, VIN, mileage and dealer info, she may be able to step in to assist.

She'll also see this thread. And welcome to the forum; once the problem is solved, stick around - there's all kinds of great info, and great members with lots of knowledge.
Tracey Walker likes this.

2013 Ford Escape, 2.0 Titanium, 4WD, Frosted Glass - build date 4/16/13
2003 Subaru Forester
1999 Subaru Forester
and more
post #7 of 40 Old 03-31-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flitchel View Post
... 1st incident: Everything was fine until a week later after stopping to grab a bite to eat, the car would not start. We would hear a click click click and nothing. Everything would power on internally and externally. Keyfob had plenty of juice (could unlock/lock the car from far away). The screen would say "press brake to start" as it normally would, but nothing we did would start the car. ...
Flitchel,

As the awesome mods have pointed out, I'm here to help. PM me the info bjeans mentioned and I'll look into this ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotattitude View Post
... If you have continued issues, we do have a Ford Rep among us, Ashley, she is quite helpful in situations like this and will provide assistance in getting you connected with regional managers. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjeans View Post
Flitchel, it might be a good idea to get our Ford customer service rep involved. While Ford does not own and is not an affiliate of this forum, we have several reps assigned to our forum. Are you in the U.S? Ashley is the U.S. customer service rep and if you or your fiancee sends a PM (private message) to FordService (no space) with your fiancee's name, phone number, VIN, mileage and dealer info, she may be able to step in to assist. ...
pilotattitude and bjeans,

High five for teamwork!

Ashley
pilotattitude likes this.

FORD SERVICE

p: 800.392.FORD
t:

f:

post #8 of 40 Old 03-31-2014, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

PM sent Thanks for the help all.
post #9 of 40 Old 03-31-2014, 12:59 PM

I can almost guarantee its a bad starter or starter solenoid if the car has a separate solinode from the starter. More than likely the starter and solenoid are a unit and replacing the starter will cure your problem.
I'm a shop foreman for the motor pool of a large utility company and I have herd the exact symptoms you described many time and the cure is almost always the starter. And yes even new cars can have a bad starter its just not as likely as old ones.
Mark

2014 Sunset Titanium FWD 2.0L FE
Panno sunroof, Tow Package
Build Date 2/3/14 Day after my Hawks won!
Go Hawks!
post #10 of 40 Old 03-31-2014, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

So slight update. It started for the dealership when it got there, although the lady said it "cranked" a little too long on the start (especially for a new car). She's hoping when it's colder in the morning it won't start, but at the very least she definitely thinks something is wrong (though she has no clue). But that's better than the "everything is fine, here's your car back" we got at our local dealership. So yay?

I relayed the starter comments and the lady at the dealership agreed that it sounds like something is off in that area, so who knows.

Tags
2014 escape titanium , not starting , push start

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page