2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 04-09-2014, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

2013, takes too long to shift when the engine is cold

Whenever I first start driving my 2013 SE, it seems to stay in the lower gears for too long. It does this whether Im driving conservatively or aggressively. Once the care warms to running temperature, it doesnt do it anymore. Is this a normal thing or should I take it to the dealership?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-09-2014, 10:49 AM

Mine does this also. 1st gear doesn't hold as long as 2nd. I can be gentle on the throttle and it will still go up to almost 3k rpms in 2nd gear when the engine is cold

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #3 of 15 Old 04-09-2014, 10:53 AM

Garage
Mine has always done this as well for the first mile or so
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 04-09-2014, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
My engine gets up to temp rather quick

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hey, look. "Esc-a-pay". Hey, it's spelled just like escape

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 15 Old 04-09-2014, 11:28 AM

Sounds like part of OBD "CSERS"- Cold Start Emissions Reduction System. Basically a system operation to get catalysts warmed up as soon as possible so they can do their job.

(5/12/14 build date) 2014 Ford Escape Titanium 2.0L AWD, Deep Impact Blue/Med. Stone, 400A, 18" wheels, trailer tow, Sony/MFT/Nav, crossbars, bike rack, tonneau cover, OEM all-weather floor/cargo mats, splash guards.
2009 Saab 9-3 2.0T, Metallic Gray/Black
2000 Chevrolet Malibu 3.1L, Silver/Gray
post #6 of 15 Old 04-09-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Young View Post
Whenever I first start driving my 2013 SE, it seems to stay in the lower gears for too long. It does this whether Im driving conservatively or aggressively. Once the care warms to running temperature, it doesnt do it anymore. Is this a normal thing or should I take it to the dealership?
Hi Ben,

It definitely wouldn't hurt to have the dealer take a look if it is something you're concerned about. Once you make your appointment, send me a PM with your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info. I'll look into things on my end.

Ashley

FORD SERVICE

p: 800.392.FORD
t:

f:

post #7 of 15 Old 04-09-2014, 11:57 AM

If this continues to happen in a warmer season, then i would have it looked at. usually cold starts can do this to help get everything up to a warmer temp. Like mentioned, everything from the O2's to fluids are trying to get up to temp quickly. Also why if you drive a short distance when it's cold, your mpgs might be bad.

2013 Escape SEL 2.0....212fwhp/236fwtq
2003 Cobra-Garage queen
2003 Lightning-GT500 TVS powered
2005 Expedition XLT-DD
post #8 of 15 Old 04-09-2014, 12:13 PM

I wouldn't put that on the top of my "shifting list" problems. Mine warms up pretty fast.

What I do NOT like about this transmission is the overall shifting strategy, combined with the adaptive software.

Take this morning for example. I'm going to work in DC, so I'm cruising from Fairfax down to the DC tidal basin, a slight downhill grade on average. Doing my usual 55mph, this morning I got it up to 30 mpg average. Yippy! No surprise. I can acheive the EPA mpg if I go 55mph. But when I want to hit the gas to get out of a situation quickly, I get a very frustrating hesitation. Probably because the adaptive transmission is in grandma mode. I do not like the hesitations I get or some other weird shifting patterns if you hit the gas, then let up on the gas, then hit the gas again. This can happen in rush hour traffic. Hope this makes sense...
aruek likes this.

2013 Ginger Ale Titanium 2.0 AWD, Factory Tow Package, Pano Roof and Roof Rack, Kuga LED Rear Tail Lights, Factory Added NAV, factory Added Rear Camera, Rear Spoiler, Build Date - Sept. 2012
post #9 of 15 Old 04-09-2014, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Young View Post
Until the engine and automatic transmission get up to operating temperature, virtually every car made behaves differently than when all systems are fully warmed up.
No worries man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotattitude View Post
My engine gets up to temp rather quick
No, your coolant get up to temperature rather quick, the actual engine and transmission temperatures are lagging far behind.
In order to be up to temperature, the entire mass of metal that comprises the engine and transmission must be up to the intended operating temperature. This will take many minutes of normal driving. In the dead of winter, it could be up to half an hour for the entire system to be up to the designed operating temperature.

Dave K.

2014 1.6l Ruby Red SE
post #10 of 15 Old 04-09-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKazoroski View Post
Until the engine and automatic transmission get up to operating temperature, virtually every car made behaves differently than when all systems are fully warmed up.
No worries man.

No, your coolant get up to temperature rather quick, the actual engine and transmission temperatures are lagging far behind.
In order to be up to temperature, the entire mass of metal that comprises the engine and transmission must be up to the intended operating temperature. This will take many minutes of normal driving. In the dead of winter, it could be up to half an hour for the entire system to be up to the designed operating temperature.
I respectfully disagree, sort of. While monitoring my various temps v(coolant, transmission, oil)via OBD II port and DashCommand app, they seem to warm up pretty quick. But your right, there's nothing like a warmed up engine block in the dead of winter. And the transmission is the last one to come up to operating temp, lagging behind by about 15 minutes at highway speeds.

2013 Ginger Ale Titanium 2.0 AWD, Factory Tow Package, Pano Roof and Roof Rack, Kuga LED Rear Tail Lights, Factory Added NAV, factory Added Rear Camera, Rear Spoiler, Build Date - Sept. 2012

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page