FYI excerpt from the Workshop Manual:
Oil Change Minder
The message center provides an oil change minder to inform the driver that an oil change is required. The duration of the interval between oil changes is calculated in the PCM and varies due to driving conditions. The PCM stores the oil life data in non-volatile RAM . If the battery is discharged, the PCM is disconnected, reflashed or the Keep Alive Memory (KAM) is reset, the oil life settings remain in the PCM and display the remaining oil life once the vehicle is restored to normal operation. The PCM assumes a base mileage of 16,090 km (10,000 mi) or 1 year for normal driving. However, this number is adjusted down for conditions such as high engine temperature, high engine rpm, use of flex fuel and low oil level. The PCM calculates and provides an engine service indication message to the BCM . The BCM then provides the engine service indication message to the IPC .
Reset the Oil Change Indicator
1. Without starting the engine, place the ignition in RUN.
2. Simultaneously apply the accelerator and brake pedals and hold them in the fully applied position.
3. After 3 seconds, the message center displays SERVICE: OIL RESET IN PROG.
4. Continue to apply both the accelerator and brake pedals.
5. The SERVICE: OIL RESET IN PROG message disappears after 25 seconds and the SERVICE: OIL RESET COMPLETE is displayed.
6. Release both the accelerator and brake pedals.
7. Place the ignition in OFF.
8. The oil life reset procedure is complete.
Unfortunately as mentioned by bisjoe, the only way to get a 'progress report' of remaining oil life is to run a Vehicle Health Report and look at the details under oil life: the % is "remaining" oil life not "used" oil life ;-)
As for 'wait' or not ... most 'experts' say modern oils (e.g. meeting Ford Spec) are good for the distance and it's a waste of money/resources to change more often; some of us are more conservative (actually, more 'wasteful' according to the experts ;-) when it comes to the most precious bodily fluid in our FEs (with apology to General Jack D. Ripper).
'14 Escape SE 2.0 FWD (25 Sep 13 build); 201A SE Convenience Package; Power Liftgate; Leather Comfort Package; Oxford White on Med Light Stone Leather (SYNC 2 w/8" MFT screen)
I love my hard-working '05 F-150 XLT 5.4 V8 trailer-towing truck, too !
Help us help you - what is your year, engine, drivetrain, trim and SYNC version?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.