24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 83 Old 10-27-2014, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

6F35 Level Plug Location

Purchased 2013 SEL for my son last week with 32k miles. Sorting it out this past weekend included changing the ATF, refilled with Maxlife, appx. 4.2 quarts. I realized Ford did not put an ATF dipstick in this vehicle and searching the internet it seems the location of the level plug is some sort of a state secret. Can someone help a newbie?

2013 SEL 2.0 FWD
2002 BMW 540
1979 Jeep CJ-7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 83 Old 10-27-2014, 08:21 AM

This is very common today. I'm not sure with Ford, but I understand some have to be hooked up to a computer to read a sensor.

"

AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION

FLUID CHECK

The automatic transmission does not have

a transmission fluid dipstick.

Have an authorized dealer check and

change the transmission fluid at the

correct service interval. See Scheduled

Maintenance (page 420). Your

transmission does not consume fluid.

However, if the transmission slips, shifts

slowly or if you notice a sign of leaking

fluid, contact an authorized dealer.

Do not use supplemental transmission

fluid additives, treatments or cleaning

agents. The use of these materials may

affect transmission operation and result

in damage to internal transmission

components."

---

Forced to dump the Escape
In favor of a Jeep

If you need a shoulder to cry on ...
... Pull over to the side of the road

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 83 Old 10-27-2014, 09:09 AM

I changed my ATF this weekend. I have almost 50,000 miles on her. I used Mercon LV, OEM fluid. I would NOT use any other fluid. Also, by doing a simple drain and fill you are now mixing different fluids. Just my $.02.

My first drain and fill I got just over 4 quarts. I then drove around several miles going through every gear including reverse. I then did another drain and fill. Making sure my car was level, and while it was running and in Park(after going through every gear again) I checked the level. Fluid should be even with the level hole.

In my first picture you can see the drain bolt removed. The level plug is on the drivers side right above where the drain plug is. Its about 4 - 6 inches up the side right next to the axle shaft. Both the drain bolt and level bolt are pretty small. The torque spec is not that much.

In my second pic you can see the black ATF at the top of the 3 spots that are in a triangle. Then going clockwise you can see it gets a little more red each time from each successive drain and fill.

2013 Ginger Ale Titanium 2.0 AWD, Factory Tow Package, Pano Roof and Roof Rack, Kuga LED Rear Tail Lights, Factory Added NAV, factory Added Rear Camera, Rear Spoiler, Build Date - Sept. 2012
post #4 of 83 Old 11-19-2014, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

HayaiKuruma-

Thank you for this information and providing the excellent pictures. This vehicle is one of the easiest to change the transmission fluid I have ever owned. Maxlife DEX/MERC is recommended for Dexron VI & Mercon LV and other specifications, has legions of owners using it including BMW drivers for the Esso LT 71141 spec and at $10 per gallon jug special price at AutoZone this summer is an incredible value, but to each his own. I downloaded an Excel file off of BITOG forums that is a transmission fluid drain/refill ratio calculator. Here are the calculations for the Escape based upon 9 qts. total capacity and replacing 4.2 qts. per transmission change:

Change #1 46.67%
Change #2 71.56%
Change #3 84.83%
Change #4 91.91%
Change #5 95.68%
Change #6 97.70%
Change #7 98.77%
Change #8 99.35%
Change #9 99.65%
Change #1 0 99.81%

2013 SEL 2.0 FWD
2002 BMW 540
1979 Jeep CJ-7
post #5 of 83 Old 03-09-2015, 05:14 PM

Garage
I used the Wal-Mart Gallon sized jugs of MaxLife ATF at 16.97/gallon. This form factor is conveniently sized for the job. I got an extra one to keep as the top off fluid container.

I completed my fourth drain and fill over the weekend. Fluid color has dramatically improved and is mostly clear now. I'll continue to 8 flushes to hit the 99% mark of new fluid.

A bit of helpful advice: I left the level check plug off while adding fluid until the level hole leaked--on level ground. Once it went to a slow almost non-existent drip then I knew my fluid was level with the hole. I used a pan under the hole to catch and measure the overflow. Was just over 4.15q to level hole. Trans is shifting much better now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egg Head View Post
HayaiKuruma-

Thank you for this information and providing the excellent pictures. This vehicle is one of the easiest to change the transmission fluid I have ever owned. Maxlife DEX/MERC is recommended for Dexron VI & Mercon LV and other specifications, has legions of owners using it including BMW drivers for the Esso LT 71141 spec and at $10 per gallon jug special price at AutoZone this summer is an incredible value, but to each his own. I downloaded an Excel file off of BITOG forums that is a transmission fluid drain/refill ratio calculator. Here are the calculations for the Escape based upon 9 qts. total capacity and replacing 4.2 qts. per transmission change:

Change #1 46.67%
Change #2 71.56%
Change #3 84.83%
Change #4 91.91%
Change #5 95.68%
Change #6 97.70%
Change #7 98.77%
Change #8 99.35%
Change #9 99.65%
Change #1 0 99.81%
post #6 of 83 Old 03-09-2015, 05:41 PM

I was wondering which plug was the fill plug, thanks for posting about this. When I was under mine today changing the oil I was looking and noticed 2-3 plugs on the side of the trans so I was a bit confounded. Next oil change is due around 52k miles. I will certainly change it then, if not change here soon, then again at the next oil change as well. I think I know how to change all of the fluid, but I don't want to dive into that.....only good way to do a full fluid change is with a trans flusher lol.

2013 Escape SE, 1.6, FWD, Kodiak Brown, MFT...IDK, it's got cool stuff lol.-Wife's Ride
1998 Dodge Dakota ECSB, black, 318 V8, plenty of mods, mid-length headers, full exhaust, fancy intake manifold, E-Fan, CAI, injectors, lowered, black wheels....the list is too long to remember. It's ugly as sin, it's been used as a truck, missing paint, dents, but it's quick.-My Ride aka The Flogging Post.
post #7 of 83 Old 03-09-2015, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91sonomast View Post
I was wondering which plug was the fill plug, thanks for posting about this. When I was under mine today changing the oil I was looking and noticed 2-3 plugs on the side of the trans so I was a bit confounded. Next oil change is due around 52k miles. I will certainly change it then, if not change here soon, then again at the next oil change as well. I think I know how to change all of the fluid, but I don't want to dive into that.....only good way to do a full fluid change is with a trans flusher lol.
You fill it from the top, from the engine compartment. The plug you are referring to on the side of the tranny is the plug to check the level of the fluid. So you are dealing with 3 holes , drain, fill and fluid level check. Hmmm, I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere.

I'm going to make a video of this sometime this spring.
TRAILN and rahrena8690 like this.

2013 Ginger Ale Titanium 2.0 AWD, Factory Tow Package, Pano Roof and Roof Rack, Kuga LED Rear Tail Lights, Factory Added NAV, factory Added Rear Camera, Rear Spoiler, Build Date - Sept. 2012
post #8 of 83 Old 03-10-2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayaiKuruma View Post
You fill it from the top, from the engine compartment. The plug you are referring to on the side of the tranny is the plug to check the level of the fluid. So you are dealing with 3 holes , drain, fill and fluid level check. Hmmm, I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere.

I'm going to make a video of this sometime this spring.
.....so there ARE three plug/hole thingers. Where is the one to fill? We need some pics....

Do you leave the check plug open until you see fluid drip out and then close it up?

2015 Escape Ti 2.0 AWD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 83 Old 03-10-2015, 05:25 PM

If you are standing in front of your open hood, look just to the right of your engine cover. Now look down through the gap. You will see a cap with yellow lettering on it. If you read it you know your right or wrong.

The procedure for changing your fluid is very specific. But to answer your question, you want the fluid to pour out the hole until it starts to slow down and drip. Then cap it quick! Engine is running when you do this and fluid should be at 180 to 200F temp when doing this. Run through all the gears before you do this to make sure the fluid is properly distributed.

So obviously I put in a little extra fluid on my last drain and fill to make sure I get some spill out. Otherwise how would you know if it didn't come low from the factory.
post #10 of 83 Old 03-11-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayaiKuruma View Post
If you are standing in front of your open hood, look just to the right of your engine cover. Now look down through the gap. You will see a cap with yellow lettering on it. If you read it you know your right or wrong.

The procedure for changing your fluid is very specific. But to answer your question, you want the fluid to pour out the hole until it starts to slow down and drip. Then cap it quick! Engine is running when you do this and fluid should be at 180 to 200F temp when doing this. Run through all the gears before you do this to make sure the fluid is properly distributed.

So obviously I put in a little extra fluid on my last drain and fill to make sure I get some spill out. Otherwise how would you know if it didn't come low from the factory.
wait you have the car running while adding and waiting for the drip to happen? Idk if I'll fit under the car without it lifted up on ramps, only 6 some inch clearance up front.

2015 Escape Ti 2.0 AWD

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page