2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 02-21-2015, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

'13 Escape, 1.6 motor, intermittent high temp shutdown

Hi,
We have a 2013 Escape with the dreaded 1.6L engine. It has 11,200 miles and this problem has happened 4 or 5 times. The last two times was within 10 days and 200 miles. This is what happens from everything being normal.

First indication is that the power steering shuts off. A safety concern.
A few seconds later the display shows engine overheat with the admonition to service immediately. The engine temp gauge is full scale hot. Cooling fan comes on. Engine icon is illuminated. If you do not pull over and stop, the engine goes into a "limp (crawl) home" mode where the vehicle will barely move on level ground and not at all up a hill.

Shut the engine down, wait a minute or so and restart. The overheat indications may come on again with no power steering. Or, all indications may show normal except the engine icon is still illuminated. The engine is not actually overheating and coolant level is normal. Sometimes you have to go through this re-start process several times before you can drive the car.

Weather, road condition, or outside temperature doesn't appear to be a factor. I've driven the car to the dealer and had it flatbedded to the dealer without re-starting the engine with the same result.
The report will show:
F1 Recall 13s12 was completed. Go to F2
F2 DTC U1035 retrieved. Go to F3
F3 Coolant level connector pins ok, Go to F4
F4 12.2V go to F5
F5 .5 ohms go to F67
F6 .6 ohms. Install new coolant stand pipe.
R&R coolant stand pipe.
Cleared DTC

Test drove vehicle and code didn't come back.

200 miles and 10 days later the same thing happened.
After multiple restarts and waiting periods I drove it 80 miles to the dealer and tests showed:
F1 13s12 recall completed go to F2
F2 Cleared DTC and no DTC returned. System is working correctly at this time. DTC may have been caused by high network traffic.
Test drove vehicle multiple times over three days and no codes have been set.

This condition has happened a few times in the months previous with the same results. The coolant stand pipe replacement didn't help. Nothing else has been replaced for this problem.

The build date shows 5/13 on the door post placard. The VIN is 1FMCU9GX8DUD70681.

I checked the battery terminals and other electrical connections in the engine bay and all appeared tight.

I couldn't find a similar problem by searching the forum threads. The overall unreliability of this Escape has me unwilling to get very far from home with it.

The dealer is helpful, but doesn't know what else to do other than advise me to bring it in next time it happens. Ford won't let them replace the main ECU.

Anybody have a suggestion?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-22-2015, 09:50 AM

Is the coolant level low? Have you had to fill the over flow container with coolant? The 1.6 liter engine has had problems with micro cracks in the cylinder head causing coolant to burn off, then once the coolant gets low you will get similar symptoms. Not all 1.6 engines have this problem though.

2014 Ingot Silver Escape SE FWD

201A, Charcoal Black Leather Interior

K&N E-9289 air filter, Ceramic tint
Build date: June 17, 2014
post #3 of 13 Old 02-22-2015, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CND_Escape View Post
Is the coolant level low? Have you had to fill the over flow container with coolant? The 1.6 liter engine has had problems with micro cracks in the cylinder head causing coolant to burn off, then once the coolant gets low you will get similar symptoms. Not all 1.6 engines have this problem though.
The coolant level is consistently at normal level. I've not added any coolant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 02-22-2015, 06:08 PM

It sounds like it's going into limp mode via, the temp or low coolant sensors or their wring. It also sounds like it's very intermittent. This in no way helps you and I apologize for that. Problems like this can be very hard for a tech. to diagnose and repair, unless it gets worse and can replicated at will. I'm guessing by your earlier post that the dealer has preformed all the 1.6l recalls? If not that's where I would start, if so you might make sure the dealer is performing the wiggle test.(no joke that's what it's called) You also might try a different dealer for a fresh set of eyes.
Mark
spotterjoe likes this.

2014 Sunset Titanium FWD 2.0L FE
Panno sunroof, Tow Package
Build Date 2/3/14 Day after my Hawks won!
Go Hawks!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 Old 02-22-2015, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadmic View Post
It sounds like it's going into limp mode via, the temp or low coolant sensors or their wring. It also sounds like it's very intermittent. This in no way helps you and I apologize for that. Problems like this can be very hard for a tech. to diagnose and repair, unless it gets worse and can replicated at will. I'm guessing by your earlier post that the dealer has preformed all the 1.6l recalls? If not that's where I would start, if so you might make sure the dealer is performing the wiggle test.(no joke that's what it's called) You also might try a different dealer for a fresh set of eyes.
Mark
I think you are 100% correct. All the updates/recalls have been done for the 1.6L. I'm not sure about the wiggle test. I'll ask them this week. I did pull and wiggle all the wiring to the battery and the local grounds and all was tight. This is so intermittent and so far the fix has been to read and reset the codes since the "problem" doesn't last very long. I'm thinking I'll get an OBD II code reader and do that myself until it becomes much more frequent. I can get one from Summit or JEGS. Summit has an Actron brand that looks quite versatile. Where is the plug located on the Escape to connect the scanner.

Thanks

Louie
post #6 of 13 Old 02-22-2015, 10:01 PM

Hey Louie, why not get something like this:
Amazon.com: iSaddle Super Mini Bluetooth OBD2 OBDII Scan Tool Check Engine Light & CAN-BUS Auto Diagnostic Tool for Windows & Android Torque (Blue Color, Super Mini): Automotive Amazon.com: iSaddle Super Mini Bluetooth OBD2 OBDII Scan Tool Check Engine Light & CAN-BUS Auto Diagnostic Tool for Windows & Android Torque (Blue Color, Super Mini): Automotive
This is for a Windows or Android phone, but the make them for an IPhone also. It the cheapest way to get a scan tool. Just down load the Torque or Dash Com and app., sync it to your Bluetooth phone and your good to go.
Mark

Go Hawks!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 Old 02-23-2015, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadmic View Post
Hey Louie, why not get something like this: Amazon.com: iSaddle Super Mini Bluetooth OBD2 OBDII Scan Tool Check Engine Light & CAN-BUS Auto Diagnostic Tool for Windows & Android Torque (Blue Color, Super Mini): Automotive
This is for a Windows or Android phone, but the make them for an IPhone also. It the cheapest way to get a scan tool. Just down load the Torque or Dash Com and app., sync it to your Bluetooth phone and your good to go.
Mark
Thanks Leadmic.
I ordered one. I have a Samsung 5S which should work fine.

Louie
leadmic likes this.
post #8 of 13 Old 02-23-2015, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie928 View Post
Thanks Leadmic.
I ordered one. I have a Samsung 5S which should work fine.

Louie
I have the same phone and it works well. I down loaded both apps. that I mentioned earlier. The Dash Command is free for generic codes, but you can pay $10.00 apiece for different groups of vehicles to get the manufacturers codes specific to that group of vehicles. The Torque app is free and has more of the manufacturers codes but not all that are specific to a cretin vehicle like the Dash Command does. Both apps do more than just a scan tool, they have gauges a lot more.
Mark

Go Hawks!
post #9 of 13 Old 01-07-2016, 12:37 AM

hello all i am also having this issue i bought my car new from my local ford dealership had the car a few months before i received the recall for the overheating issue up until this point i hadn't had any problems about 8 months after the recall repair it happened the first time car started beeping the temp gauged flew up and it died and had to roll to the side of the road had the car towed to the same dealer i bought it at they had it for a little over a week and said they weren't really sure what the issue was but they replace the temp sensor and water pump and the bore scoped the cylinders to check for leaking i took the car back and about 6 months later same exact thing happened they did the same thing and gave it backed said they fixed it claiming it was a bad water pump and they replaced the overflow tank saying it might be mico cracked which brings me to now once again its now currently at the dealer were they now say its the stand pipe and may or may not have leaked coolant into the engine not sure what to do i bought the car new because i needed something reliable and they cant seem to fix this or even pin point the issue can anyone help me here
post #10 of 13 Old 01-07-2016, 07:45 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHATEMYFORD View Post
hello all i am also having this issue i bought my car new from my local ford dealership had the car a few months before i received the recall for the overheating issue up until this point i hadn't had any problems about 8 months after the recall repair it happened the first time car started beeping the temp gauged flew up and it died and had to roll to the side of the road had the car towed to the same dealer i bought it at they had it for a little over a week and said they weren't really sure what the issue was but they replace the temp sensor and water pump and the bore scoped the cylinders to check for leaking i took the car back and about 6 months later same exact thing happened they did the same thing and gave it backed said they fixed it claiming it was a bad water pump and they replaced the overflow tank saying it might be mico cracked which brings me to now once again its now currently at the dealer were they now say its the stand pipe and may or may not have leaked coolant into the engine not sure what to do i bought the car new because i needed something reliable and they cant seem to fix this or even pin point the issue can anyone help me here
At least 2 recalls take over this issue. They telling you that they change the expansion tank, temp,) sensors seems like **. On the last recall performed in mine regarding this issue they replaced the expasion tank, several hoses, added sensors also along with updating some engine/dash software to work with the new sensors. Nevertheless Mine have never got hot... just lost some coolant back at that time.

Sent from my SM-A500Y using Tapatalk

2013 1.6T Escape SE 4WD on Tuxedo Black (built JUN-12) - Door "Wolf" sill protectors Front/Rear - after market rear view mirror with integrated display for rear view camera - aftermarket rear parking sensors - aftermarket LED DRL's.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page