2Likes
  • 1 Post By milnosaurus
  • 1 Post By jcru53

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 03-09-2015, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

Question Quick 'Squeek' when starting or changing Directions

Our 2014 Titanium 4WD has developed an odd 'squeak' when the engine is started, or when you change the transmission to go in an opposite direction. Also, If you're at a stop & 'nudge' the accelerator just a bit, then stop, when you restart going forward, it does the same thing. Very quick 'squeak', then it doesn't do it again until you stop and change directions. I called the dealer's service manager, & he explained that all the cold weather and road salt here in NE Ohio have accumulated some grit on the Power Takeoff for the rear drivetrain, and when I either have a car wash with an undercarriage bath, or let it just 'wear off' when the weather warms up, it should be OK. Says this only happens with the spline on the 4WD vehicles.

Anyone else have anything similar, by chance ?

As a test, I did take it through a car wash, and indeed, the noise went away for a day....now it's back. It's at least a minor concern....hoping it's not anything more.

gfkdrobi

2014 Escape Titanium 4WD/AWD
Tuxedo Black, with Stone Interior
401A Option Pkg
Opti-Coat sealer
OEM Mud Flaps
OEM Hood Protector
Xpel Door sill protectors
Weathertech All Weather mats (covers dead pedal)
Mfg 12/13
Sync Update 3.7 (Wish I had NEVER done this one !!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-09-2015, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfkdrobi View Post
Our 2014 Titanium 4WD has developed an odd 'squeak' when the engine is started, or when you change the transmission to go in an opposite direction...
Hello Gfkdrobi,

You’re definitely on the right track by calling your dealer. If the symptom continues, I recommend taking your Escape in to the Ford Dealer to get diagnosed. Also, give me a shout as well and I’ll check my resources on my end at that time.

Tricia

FORD SERVICE

p: 800.392.FORD
t:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

f:

post #3 of 7 Old 03-09-2015, 02:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Yep, mine is the bushings that hold the airbox on. There is a TSB for the dealership to lube them, but that did not solve the problem for me. My dealership said to keep checking back to see if Ford has a permanent solution. There's another thread with videos of the sound, but I couldn't quickly find it in my bookmarks.

-milno
pilotattitude likes this.

2013 Sterling Grey Escape SE 2.0
Build Date: 09.04.2013

post #4 of 7 Old 03-11-2015, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milnosaurus View Post
Yep, mine is the bushings that hold the airbox on. There is a TSB for the dealership to lube them, but that did not solve the problem for me. My dealership said to keep checking back to see if Ford has a permanent solution. There's another thread with videos of the sound, but I couldn't quickly find it in my bookmarks.

-milno
When was the last time you were at the dealer to have this taken care of? Please let me know, along with your mileage, and I'll see how to best assist.

Meagan

FORD SERVICE

p: 800.392.FORD
t:

f:

post #5 of 7 Old 03-12-2015, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Update....drivetrain 'squeak'

Quote:
Our 2014 Titanium 4WD has developed an odd 'squeak' when the engine is started, or when you change the transmission to go in an opposite direction. Also, If you're at a stop & 'nudge' the accelerator just a bit, then stop, when you restart going forward, it does the same thing. Very quick 'squeak', then it doesn't do it again until you stop and change directions. I called the dealer's service manager, & he explained that all the cold weather and road salt here in NE Ohio have accumulated some grit on the Power Takeoff for the rear drivetrain, and when I either have a car wash with an undercarriage bath, or let it just 'wear off' when the weather warms up, it should be OK. Says this only happens with the spline on the 4WD vehicles.

As a test, I did take it through a car wash, and indeed, the noise went away for a day....now it's back. It's at least a minor concern....hoping it's not anything more.

gfkdrobi
Update : After taking the vehicle through the Car Wash with Chassis Bath twice, and having the noise return each time the next day, I have an appointment with the Dealer next Monday to have a look. My Dealer has been really, really good to us over the years, that's why we bought the 2014 Titanium there. Hopefully, the Service Manager will find something. The noise isn't as LOUD as it was originally, but it's definitely still there.

Thanks to all who have commented, I'll update the thread soon...

gfkdrobi

401A Option Pkg
Opti-Coat sealer
OEM Mud Flaps
OEM Hood Protector
Mfg 12/13
post #6 of 7 Old 01-21-2016, 10:28 AM

Garage
Bumping an old thread. I have this issue now. I am very much done with taking this car to the dealer and having my time wasted. Any home fixes for this? I need to buy a house and then dump this thing....

Did some more digging and seems like the air box could be the culprit. I will take it apart tonight and see.
strykerlover likes this.

2015 Escape SE Magnetic 2.0L AWD (9.28.2014)
2000 Outback Sedan Limited 2.5L AWD

Past:
2003 WRX Sedona Red Pearl Sedan 2.0L VF30
1997 Eagle Talon
1999 Ford Explorer
1986 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 hatch
post #7 of 7 Old 01-08-2017, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordService View Post
When was the last time you were at the dealer to have this taken care of? Please let me know, along with your mileage, and I'll see how to best assist.

Meagan
Here I am, a couple of years later since this problem started, and my Dealer just yesterday got my 2014 Escape Titanium back to me after over 2 months (!!) of trying to isolate and fix the VERY annoying 'cold weather startup squeak.' They told me that they isolated it to 'something around the air cleaner box', so I suspect it was what has been reported here. They left it sit outside in below-zero weather fore 2 days, starting it each morning, and so far, the noise DOES appear to have disappeared.....at least for now. After living with this problem for more than 2 years, I remain skeptical.

Question, can anyone give me the specific TSB relating to this, by chance ? I'd like to have that in-hand if I'm forced to return to the Dealer. The Dealer *HAS* been quite helpful and cooperative, even offering to replace every stabilizer bushing in the vehicle if that would help.....

(sigh).....gfkdrobi

401A Option Pkg
Opti-Coat sealer
OEM Mud Flaps
OEM Hood Protector
Mfg 12/13

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page