13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 79 Old 03-12-2015, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Potential Evap System Nightmare

This was posted on another site. I wanted to get this out there so that the awareness level is started. Look out for DTC P1450.

"Whenever you put gas in it, the car starts and them immediately stalls. It takes multiple attempts to start it. Once it starts, it runs fine and starts and stops fine. It throws code P1450, which indicates excessive vacuum in the evaporative system. Now in most vehicles, including older escapes, this isn't a big deal. Its actually a common issue, and is a known issue for Fords. Usually this is caused by a bad purge solenoid, or simply a clogged/dirty evap canister or hoses. You can literally replace the entire system in this car for a couple hundred dollars in parts. On the escape there is actually a replaceable pre-filter for the canister, and you can usually take these things apart and clean them out. The problem is that Ford in its infinite wisdom decided to locate the evap box, filter, and vent solenoid in a place under the car that can only be reached by removing the entire rear subframe. This involves disconnecting and removing the rear brakes, suspension, drivetrain, and any wiring from the rear of the car. In the past evap canisters were often located under the hood and when they were located under the vehicle, they were accessible. This was a simple job I was hoping to do myself, but unfortunately, it cannot be done without a lift and an extended transmission jack, plus hours of teardown, brake work, etc."

I have looked under the rear end and sure enough, its buried way deep in there. I stuck my iphone up in there last night to get a picture. For those of you with workshop manuals or experience please chime in. I'm still looking for a purge valve in the engine bay. The workshop manual is very vague and Tasca parts or motorcraft doesnt even list one, so I'm wondering if this new "system" even has a traditional purge valve to check your vacuum. Someone told me that even if there is one in the engine bay, you have to take off the intake to get to it. That kinda makes it hard to check your vacuum. Thanks Ford.

Sorry for the long thread.
ndccpf1 and TBM2013 like this.

2013 Ginger Ale Titanium 2.0 AWD, Factory Tow Package, Pano Roof and Roof Rack, Kuga LED Rear Tail Lights, Factory Added NAV, factory Added Rear Camera, Rear Spoiler, Build Date - Sept. 2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 79 Old 03-12-2015, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

And a follow-up to the above thread. They took it to the dealer. And I quote:

" They went through the diagnostic process and determined that the problem is exactly what I thought it was. The purge solenoid was stuck open. Failures of these purge solenoids apparently are a common problem ever since a redesign in 2009. This failure caused an over vacuum state in the evaporation system that sucked gasoline into the purge canister ruining it and causing the stalling problems. Also, as indicated by the service manual, because the canister is located where it is, they will have to remove the rear subframe, including suspension, driveline, brakes, etc., to replace it. All in all the price quoted to me by Bowditch is also what I suspected including the diagnostic, at approximately $700. All of this for a $26 part that commonly goes bad."

yikes!!
ndccpf1 likes this.

2013 Ginger Ale Titanium 2.0 AWD, Factory Tow Package, Pano Roof and Roof Rack, Kuga LED Rear Tail Lights, Factory Added NAV, factory Added Rear Camera, Rear Spoiler, Build Date - Sept. 2012
post #3 of 79 Old 03-12-2015, 01:42 PM

Ya Hoo, another interweb panic thread, gotta love 'em (nice touch with "Nightmare" in the headline - you have a future in tabloid publication ;-) !!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayaiKuruma View Post
".... All of this for a $26 part that commonly goes bad." ....
(note above are not HayaiKuruma's words, that's a quote within the quote from the post he cites)

Yep, so very common to the '13+ FE that it's not come up yet on this forum with hundreds of active '13 FE owners and the only thread on the topic on the similarly large 'source' forum is by one owner (who has posted on yet another forum this tale of woe).

No pardon asked, yes my reply is dripping with sarcasm.

Stay calm, folks.

'14 Escape SE 2.0 FWD (25 Sep 13 build); 201A SE Convenience Package; Power Liftgate; Leather Comfort Package; Oxford White on Med Light Stone Leather (SYNC 2 w/8" MFT screen)
I love my hard-working '05 F-150 XLT 5.4 V8 trailer-towing truck, too !

Help us help you - what is your year, engine, drivetrain, trim and SYNC version?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 79 Old 03-12-2015, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by centex View Post
Ya Hoo, another interweb panic thread, gotta love 'em (nice touch with "Nightmare" in the headline - you have a future in tabloid publication ;-) !!!!!

(note above are not HayaiKuruma's words, that's a quote within the quote from the post he cites)

Yep, so very common to the '13+ FE that it's not come up yet on this forum with hundreds of active '13 FE owners and the only thread on the topic on the similarly large 'source' forum is by one owner (who has posted on yet another forum this tale of woe).

No pardon asked, yes my reply is dripping with sarcasm.

Stay calm, folks.
You know, I merely posted this because someone else has gone through quite a bit of "woe" with their Escape. And as I stated, this is merely an awareness post that may come into play. What I didn't post was this persons mileage, which was around 85,000. This is why it is not that common. Your smart aleck comments are not helpful or appreciated. If only there was a "hide member" button.

post #5 of 79 Old 03-12-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
..... If only their (sic) was a "hide member" button.
Please see User CP > Edit Options > Edit Ignore List

'14 Escape SE 2.0 FWD (25 Sep 13 build); 201A SE Convenience Package; Power Liftgate; Leather Comfort Package; Oxford White on Med Light Stone Leather (SYNC 2 w/8" MFT screen)
I love my hard-working '05 F-150 XLT 5.4 V8 trailer-towing truck, too !

Help us help you - what is your year, engine, drivetrain, trim and SYNC version?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 79 Old 03-12-2015, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Excellent.

post #7 of 79 Old 03-13-2015, 06:37 PM

Hello everyone,

If your Escape is experiencing any symptoms outside of the norm, I recommend taking it to a Ford Dealer to get diagnosed. Also, send over the mileage, and Iíll be happy to check my available resources.

Tricia
strykerlover likes this.

FORD SERVICE

p: 800.392.FORD
t:

f:

post #8 of 79 Old 04-08-2015, 10:00 PM

I've got a 2013 FE Titanium that just threw this code.. I cleared it and it hasn't had any issues starting (not lately anyway). I hope this doesn't turn into a major issue. 98000kms.
post #9 of 79 Old 04-08-2015, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

The other persons advise to anyone who's 2013/14 escape's check engine light come on, or experiences a stall after getting gas, is to stop driving the car immediately. You may be able to prevent damage to the purge canister and save yourself a very costly repair, by just getting the purge solenoid replaced. Although, its also possible that once you have experienced the first symptoms, its already too late, and you are going to need a canister (and $700) as well. If you are just getting an intermittent code, it may be in the very early stages and I would consult your dealer and try to get it looked at and documented. I would NOT clear the codes, let the dealer document and clear the codes.
pilotattitude likes this.

post #10 of 79 Old 04-09-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digijay View Post
I've got a 2013 FE Titanium that just threw this code.. I cleared it and it hasn't had any issues starting (not lately anyway). I hope this doesn't turn into a major issue. 98000kms.
Quote:
I would consult your dealer and try to get it looked at and documented. I would NOT clear the codes, let the dealer document and clear the codes...
Hello digijay,

I agree with HayaiKuruma. If your vehicle displays any codes, be sure to take it to the dealer and get it diagnosed.

Please keep an eye on it, and donít hesitate to reach out to my FordServiceCA colleagues here, if you have any questions or concerns.

Tricia

FORD SERVICE

p: 800.392.FORD
t:

f:

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page