2013 / 2014 / 2015 Ford Escape Forum

2013 / 2014 / 2015 Ford Escape Forum (http://www.fordescape.org/forum/)
-   Engine and Technical Discussion (http://www.fordescape.org/forum/engine-technical-discussion/)
-   -   Gas Additive (http://www.fordescape.org/forum/engine-technical-discussion/4938-gas-additive.html)

SBP2013 08-24-2013 08:34 AM

Gas Additive

I have been using STP Gas Treatment since my 2000 Ford Taurus. I could not really tell you if it does anything but like a blanket for a kid it provides me some comfort. Is this something that can be added to the 1.6 Escape engine? Since it is a turbo wasn't sure to use it.

Thanks

DKazoroski 08-24-2013 11:27 AM

All car manufacturers say their vehicles will run just fine on fuel right out of the pump. They also recommend against using any additives. I'd go with their advice.
Personally, I'll run a bottle of Techron fuel system cleaner through my cars about once a year or so.

nylyon 08-24-2013 01:02 PM

The only additive I would use in the Escape would be a fuel stabilizer if the car is going to sit for any period of time. While they would have to prove that the additive caused any issues, there are cases where warranty work is denied based on things like this.

I wouldn't worry too much about additives in a new car anyway.

my2cents 08-24-2013 03:23 PM

I don't see why it would hurt the turbo. But I don't have any experience with fuel or oil additives. I think they're a waste of money. So why use it. Throw that old security blanket away.

jshel101 08-25-2013 07:58 PM

The manual says not to add any fuel additives. I usually go with what the manual says on new vehicles.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2013_escape 08-26-2013 05:43 PM

Buy top tier fuel and you will never need additive or injector cleaner.

chris1450 09-02-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2013_escape (Post 56850)
Buy top tier fuel and you will never need additive or injector cleaner.

exactly. I have a 2005 focus ST that has 170,000 miles on it. Not only has NO additives of any type been used... the fuel filter is original. Top tier gas high volume dealer only.

pilotattitude 09-03-2013 08:53 AM

The only two things I have added to my vehicles to clean it out, is Prem. Octane Fuel, or I would throw in a Techron before starting a long trip, which is probably my safety blanket. Keep with Brand name fuels for better and cleaner fuel. Saving 5 cents off each 9/10 gal. doesn't really save anything when you have to replace car parts.

DKazoroski 09-03-2013 12:25 PM

Yes - I usually put the Techron in right before a long trip too.
Normally only once a year or so, no need to do it any more frequently.
For the most part, the fuel system cleaners are the same detergents and additives that are already put in gasoline, so no harm done - just aadding a little extra "soap".

chris1450 09-03-2013 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pilotattitude (Post 59962)
The only two things I have added to my vehicles to clean it out, is Prem. Octane Fuel, or I would throw in a Techron before starting a long trip, which is probably my safety blanket. Keep with Brand name fuels for better and cleaner fuel. Saving 5 cents off each 9/10 gal. doesn't really save anything when you have to replace car parts.

The gas companies are very clever marketers. Premium doesn't mean better quality. It means higher octane. there are no more additives in premium vs. regular gas. Higher octane in our turbocharged cars gives you a few more horsepower by slowing the burn rate allowing more ignition timing without detonation. I only use premium in my Focus ST and escape only because I want the most HP.. plus my Focus has a tune that requires 91 octane. Ford says I get the rated hp (252) with premium and get 9 hp less with 87 octane. I imagine the escape is the same way.