10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 77 Old 09-02-2013, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

"s"Mode on Gear Selector

Can someone explain the S mode on the gear shift lever and how it works.

When I select S mode and do not touch the +/- on the selector and pull out of the Driveway it holds it in first gear longer then shifts to second gear automatically. Once in second gear it will not automatically shift to third gear, even when you get up to almost 5,000 RPM. I thought it is suppose to automatically shift thru all the gears on its own when it reaches a certain RPM? Am I wrong or is there something wrong with my transmission.

Thanks Greg
2013 EScape SE
2.0L 4WD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 77 Old 09-02-2013, 09:29 PM

On mine (2014 1.6l), it shifts thru all gears automatically, but as you observed at a much higher RPM and road speed - eventually getting to 5th.
If I shift manually, it remains in full manual mode until I shift back to Drive - as described in the owners's manual.
At highway speed, you should shift to drive in order to allow 6th gear (overdrive) to come into action.

Dave K.

2014 1.6l Ruby Red SE
post #3 of 77 Old 09-02-2013, 09:38 PM

Garage
Yeah, it's pretty simple, really. The 'Sport Mode' setting allows you to manually shift the gears via the toggle on the shifter. Pull it down into "sport mode" ('S') and play away with the button. + to shift up a gear, - to shift down. And don't worry, it won't let you shift to too low a gear at too high a speed, i.e. you can get up to 60 and then bang down thru the gears to 1st gear...it'll just look at you like, "Okay, dumbazz...what are you doing?"
mrbeankc and Grimmage like this.

2014 Ingot Silver 4WD Titanium - 2.0 Ecoboost - All the bells and whistles
post #4 of 77 Old 09-02-2013, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

When put in Sport mode and not touching the +/- it will not automatically shift past second gear to a higher gear. I can take it up to 5,000 RPM and it will not automatically shift to third gear. There must be something wrong with the transmission.

I also noticed when in Drive and it shifts it makes a very faint noise like it is straining to shift to the higher gear. Guess I will have to take it to the dealer.

Greg
post #5 of 77 Old 09-03-2013, 12:58 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg950 View Post
When put in Sport mode and not touching the +/- it will not automatically shift past second gear to a higher gear. I can take it up to 5,000 RPM and it will not automatically shift to third gear. There must be something wrong with the transmission.

I also noticed when in Drive and it shifts it makes a very faint noise like it is straining to shift to the higher gear. Guess I will have to take it to the dealer.

Greg
Manual (Page 151, 4th edition on line):

"SelectShift Automatic® Transmission (If Equipped)
Your SelectShift automatic transmission gives you the ability to manually change gears if you'd like. To use SelectShift, move the gearshift lever into S (Sport). Now you can use the +/- buttons on the side of your gearshift lever to select gears.
When using the toggle for manual shifting:
• Press the (+) button to upshift.
• Press the (-) button to downshift.
Note: After you have assumed manual control with SelectShift your vehicle will remain in this mode until you return the gearshift lever from (S) Sport, back to (D) Drive."

Two Reminders for Members - Please Read

Forum Guidelines

2013 Ford Escape, 2.0 Titanium, 4WD, Frosted Glass - build date 4/16/13
2003 Subaru Forester
1999 Subaru Forester
and more
post #6 of 77 Old 09-03-2013, 02:27 AM
JMR
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg950 View Post
If it will not shift out of second while in Sport, then yes, you have a transmission problem. But note that the shift points are supposed to be at higher RPMs.
post #7 of 77 Old 09-03-2013, 02:29 AM
JMR
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjeans View Post
Like others said, Sport mode is manual. You've taken it out of automatic transmission.
Sport mode doesn't become manual until you shift manually using the +/- buttons. If you don't use the buttons, as the OP said he did not, Sport remains automatic -- just a more aggressive automatic than Drive.
post #8 of 77 Old 09-03-2013, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMR View Post
Sport mode doesn't become manual until you shift manually using the +/- buttons. If you don't use the buttons, as the OP said he did not, Sport remains automatic -- just a more aggressive automatic than Drive.
Really? I stand corrected. That section of the manual could be written more clearly then. Just my take.

Two Reminders for Members - Please Read

Forum Guidelines

2013 Ford Escape, 2.0 Titanium, 4WD, Frosted Glass - build date 4/16/13
2003 Subaru Forester
1999 Subaru Forester
and more
post #9 of 77 Old 09-03-2013, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for clarifying the sport mode, it does have a shifting problem since it is not automatically shifting without touching the buttons above second gear
post #10 of 77 Old 09-03-2013, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjeans View Post
Really? I stand corrected. That section of the manual could be written more clearly then. Just my take.

I had started a thread on similar situation to this, that I did not realize that myself, so I stood out of sport since I associated S for Manual. Found out later, that S, has higher RPM shift points that D. I like it for passing ppl.
bjeans likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page