3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 12-24-2015, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Help. What can I do...

I bought a 2013 Escape in June of this year (31K miles). After I got it home I noticed an oil leak under the engine. I took it back to the dealership and they said it was residual oil from a previous oil change...they changed the oil and cleaned it up and gave it back to me. A week or so later I noticed that it was still leaking oil. Took it back in, and they said the vacume pump gasket was leaking. They replaced the gasket and gave it back to me. I then put some cardboard under the engine and within a few hours...more oil. I took it back a third time and they kept it for several days stating that several more gaskets needed to be replaced. After 3-4 days the dealership called me and stated that after they changed all the gaskets they went to start it up and after 15 seconds the engine just died. They deduced it was a problem with the intake camshaft BM5Z6250D and ordered the replacement part. We never had any symptoms of a faulty camshaft. I guess it was damaged by the gasket repairs?

The part was ordered on 11/5/15. As of today there is still no ETA on the part. I am in a loaner vehicle, but I'm ready for this whole thing to be over and done. No one at the dealership or Ford has offered any definate resolution.

In my opinion a definate solution has to be offered at this point. My employer would require me to offer a concrete solution if this were one of our customers. It would have to go something like "if we don't have part X by this date we will buy the equipment back from you or find a suitable replacement". I guess Ford doesn't operate this way...???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 12-24-2015, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
They are working on it, and you have a loaner. All you can do is be patient.

ATL GA USA
2013 Titanium<SEL Tuxedo Black 2.0 Built 07.19.2012
OEM Xenons, 302A package, PanoRoof, Sony MFT Nav
Parking Tech Package, PVD Chrome Rims, Ford Tow Pkg
Help us help you - what is your year, engine, drivetrain, trim and SYNC version?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 Old 12-24-2015, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlcarl69 View Post
They are working on it, and you have a loaner. All you can do is be patient.
At what point do I stop being patient? 3 months....6 months? I don't know that is why I'm asking. Does it take that long to manufacture new parts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 12-24-2015, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
What I mean is, you are working with Ford and your dealer, not much anyone on here can do. Only suggestion might be to involve @FordService . I'm not being unsympathetic, just realistic. A friend was without his Kia for 2 months waiting for parts and a neighbor without his BMW for 3. Sometimes things just don't happen as quickly as we'd like, but to stress about it only affects you.

I hope you get your ride back soon.
Terry Judkins and ccap41 like this.

ATL GA USA
Help us help you - what is your year, engine, drivetrain, trim and SYNC version?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 22 Old 12-24-2015, 05:54 PM

Garage
Warranty

Did the dealer provide any warranty beyond the remaining factory warranty? If so, read it in painful detail.

Does your state of residence have a "Lemon Law" and would your purchase be covered? My state only covers new vehicle purchases, but the time certainly fails the test.

The description of their trouble shooting and subsequent cam failure is troubling. I would visit the shop and ask to see the engine and cam if its been removed.

If everything is on the level and you have a loaner, be diligent and keep the process moving forward.

2016 Titanium Magnetic, Build Date 7/21/15
2.0L Eco Boost, 4wd
301a, Pano Roof
post #6 of 22 Old 12-24-2015, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium2016 View Post
Did the dealer provide any warranty beyond the remaining factory warranty? If so, read it in painful detail.

Does your state of residence have a "Lemon Law" and would your purchase be covered? My state only covers new vehicle purchases, but the time certainly fails the test.

The description of their trouble shooting and subsequent cam failure is troubling. I would visit the shop and ask to see the engine and cam if its been removed.

If everything is on the level and you have a loaner, be diligent and keep the process moving forward.
Thanks. I live in GA so I will have to check things out. They assure me that everything will be GTG when the new part arrives so we will see I guess. I just wonder at what point they will offer another solution if the part continues to not ship with no ETA.
post #7 of 22 Old 12-24-2015, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
We're a bit out of luck here in GA, GA only has a lemon law for New cars, and only up to 24K miles. Georgia laws are extremely pro business, anti consumer. That said, your engine is covered up to 5 years, 60K mi. I think your dealer doesn't want to hold this up any more than you, many won't give a loaner on a used car, so that is a plus.

ATL GA USA
post #8 of 22 Old 12-24-2015, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

Just remember to take the loner back with an empty gas tank.

2013 2.0L AWD Titanium, Titanium Technology Package, Silver Ingot
post #9 of 22 Old 12-24-2015, 10:06 PM

You never said if you got a check engine light. Did you? Sounds to me like a bad camshaft sensor. This can be easily damaged if they are replacing a bunch of gaskets. Find it hard to believe it's a bad camshaft. They only usually go bad from incorrect break in from the factory. Or if someone tried to crank over the vehicle for an extended period. Did your oil light ever come on? Hopefully you never lost enough oil to not splash the cams with some oil. That heat build up is not good for sure.

Still, this whole thing sounds like a small problem that has somehow gotten very large.

2013 Ginger Ale Titanium 2.0 AWD, Factory Tow Package, Pano Roof and Roof Rack, Kuga LED Rear Tail Lights, Factory Added NAV, factory Added Rear Camera, Rear Spoiler, Build Date - Sept. 2012
post #10 of 22 Old 12-28-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughestr View Post
I bought a 2013 Escape in June of this year (31K miles). After I got it home I noticed an oil leak under the engine. I took it back to the dealership and they said it was residual oil from a previous oil change...
Welcome to the community, hughestr!

My name is Tricia, and I’m the U.S. Ford Customer Service Representative. Please private message your full name, VIN, dealer, and best daytime phone number. I’ll look into available options to assist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlcarl69 View Post
What I mean is, you are working with Ford and your dealer, not much anyone on here can do. Only suggestion might be to involve @FordService ...
Thanks for the mention, atlcarl69!

Have a wonderful day!

Tricia

FORD SERVICE

p: 800.392.FORD
t:

f:

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page