2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 41 Old 04-23-2016, 03:02 PM

1:1 yes, 5th is less than 1 so you get low rpm's and good mpg on hwy.

Manual cars usually are 3rd. Autos I'm not familiar with as I've never dynod one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 41 Old 04-25-2016, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Got it in.

Easy install, the toughest part was getting the mounting buttons out of the rubber grommets.

After initial start jumped out as it sounded like something was rubbing, nothing really to rub.

That was just the sound going into the intake.

If there is a negative, it makes a lot of intake noise.

Kind of cool, when the turbo spools up you can hear it now.

When the waste gate releases people turn their heads.

All I need now is a coffee can muffler and a big wing.

Butt dyno indicates it's making more power.

Gas mileage is creeping up slowly.

So it has taken a little getting used to, so far I'm happy with the purchase.

Makes the tranny fill a little bit easier to get to.

As I'm going to be doing a little towing this season, I hope the extra torque helps, final gas mileage too.
post #23 of 41 Old 05-17-2016, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Getting an additional 2 to 3 miles per gallon around town.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 41 Old 05-20-2016, 11:56 PM

Have this install u deff hear more turbo noise
post #25 of 41 Old 06-04-2016, 01:04 PM

I purchased the typhoon kit and installed in my 15' 2L 4WD escape. I knew people were saying it was loud, but I didn't expect it to be this loud. My escape is a work car and I drive a lot, so the gas and power increase was really attractive, although I don't pay for the gas. I drove home from MI yesterday at 78 mph, as I cannot go over 80 because of the GPS box that logs my speed and reports when I hit 80.00, so I have my key set to 80 as well. My avg mpg was 27.7, far better than the 23.2 I typically get for the same drive. I will not be able to keep it in due to the noise, I am wondering if the 57S-4000 is less noisy? I really wish I purchased that kit over the whole intake, but for the $50 difference I figured the typhoon kit was the better choice. My guess is the air box mutes some of this noise vs. the open filter kit. I wish I could exchange the typhoon for the 57S, but once you use it... I did a lot of research and YouTube videos, but nothing really detailed the noise, I read that people said it was loud, but nothing really made it clear as to how loud. Oh well, I might just keep it in my car and swap it out when I am driving distances, or stick on eBay and then buy the 57S. If it my own car or I didn't have to be on job sites every day, I'd keep it in. I already draw a nickname of Turbo, don't need to add fuel to the fire.
post #26 of 41 Old 06-04-2016, 03:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeMoore View Post
I purchased the typhoon kit and installed in my 15' 2L 4WD escape. I knew people were saying it was loud, but I didn't expect it to be this loud. My escape is a work car and I drive a lot, so the gas and power increase was really attractive, although I don't pay for the gas. I drove home from MI yesterday at 78 mph, as I cannot go over 80 because of the GPS box that logs my speed and reports when I hit 80.00, so I have my key set to 80 as well. My avg mpg was 27.7, far better than the 23.2 I typically get for the same drive. I will not be able to keep it in due to the noise, I am wondering if the 57S-4000 is less noisy? I really wish I purchased that kit over the whole intake, but for the $50 difference I figured the typhoon kit was the better choice. My guess is the air box mutes some of this noise vs. the open filter kit. I wish I could exchange the typhoon for the 57S, but once you use it... I did a lot of research and YouTube videos, but nothing really detailed the noise, I read that people said it was loud, but nothing really made it clear as to how loud. Oh well, I might just keep it in my car and swap it out when I am driving distances, or stick on eBay and then buy the 57S. If it my own car or I didn't have to be on job sites every day, I'd keep it in. I already draw a nickname of Turbo, don't need to add fuel to the fire.

I have the 57S on my '14 Titanium and am pleased with it. If you decide to buy one, check out Advance auto parts discount deals online. I got mine for about $125.00. If you do get one let us know if their is a power and mileage gain. Unfortunately I didn't pay enough attention on mine to get a comparison.

2017 Lincoln MKC Reserve
White Platinum w/Hazelnut leather
2.3L Ecoboost
Equipment group 300A
Technology Package
Climate Package
18" Wheels

Built 1/27/17

2011 Escape Limited 4WD, 3.0 V-6
Steel Blue w/Charcoal black leather
Loaded
post #27 of 41 Old 06-05-2016, 12:22 PM

I haven't taken it out yet, I am going to use it for a week and see how I feel about it. The one thing that I thought was odd is the escape has those ram air tubes that attach to the air box. Why didn't K&N fit this to have the tubes attach to the heat shield? One would think that those might help keep the filter area a bit cooler than the way they have it, I understand that it's open to air coming in from the grill, but anything that directs the air wouldn't hurt. It would have been nice if this system was set up to use the open end filter replacement so I could have just used the filter and existing air box and been ok with the loss, not being able to use any of this set up will suck. I tried just fitting this filter to the existing air box and it doesn't fit.
Did anyone disconnect thier battery to reset the PCM during install? I figured the system will adapt over time and since I didn't experience any negative impacts, it didn't need it.
post #28 of 41 Old 06-06-2016, 09:47 AM

Drove back to MI last night in some rather unfavorable conditions. Really windy, drifted all over the lane. The wind was more of a head/side wind, but still managed to get 25.9 mpg. A lot of accel/de-accel, figured the MPG would be worse. Still cannot get over the noise. My wife was driving behind and along side me in the afternoon and she said she could not hear it with her window open, she must of had the music up.
post #29 of 41 Old 07-19-2016, 08:15 PM

Garage
I just installed the Typhoon / open cone on my 2016 this weekend, and was not prepared for the result. Very mixed feelings. I'll try to do a video of it maybe next weekend. Wife hasn't heard it yet, but I imagine I will get "a look" when she does. I could see something like a Subaru or other sporty / rally inspired turbo car sounding like this, but it doesn't fit the Escape. Anything beyond a quarter pedal and you really hear it sucking air, let off and the blowoff valve is heard. Can hear it during shifts with moderate throttle. through the neighborhood once up to 30, it is silent at the neutral throttle position.

Haven't had a chance to see what mileage is like. I'm also not a fan of the open cone. It does not pull through the top of the grill where factory did, and the heat shield is not tall enough to have anything like a seal to the hood liner, and the seal around the filter tube where it passes through the shield had an inch or so open all around. Intake temps have to be up. Thinking of getting a Bluetooth ODB II scanner to see what it is at.

I have a 99 Pontiac GTP with a Thrasher intake (it has a box with a clear lid, open on the end behind the headlight), and the supercharger screams like a banshee when I hit 3/4 throttle or so. I've heard Ford Lightnings that were similar. Other than that, it is pretty normal sounding the rest of the time (also Borla exhaust and smaller pulley). The S/C has some sort of bypass valve, so it only pressurizes at certain throttle levels. I expected something similar on the Escape, but clearly the turbo is working much more often (which makes sense for a 2.0 that has same power output as the GTP's 3.8L).

2016 Ingot Silver Escape Titanium 4WD
2.0 Turbo, Panoramic, NAV, 19" Alloy Luster Nickel Wheels
Equipment Group 301A
Towing, Roof Crossbars, Cargo Cover
Built 6/16/2015
post #30 of 41 Old 08-05-2016, 12:39 AM

Garage
K&N's and their CAIs are over-rated. They claim about 20HP gain which is only realized at 4000-4500RPM. How often and how long are you going to be in that band? Save your money and vehicle down time (you need a day to clean and re-oil). If you want real-time results, get a tune before anything else. BTW, you are better off with a AEM dry filter.

Ingot Silver 2015 EDGE SEL 3.5L AWD, Towing Pack +

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page