2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 41 Old 01-09-2017, 11:16 AM
Member
 
Fraggleskat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 47
Garage
I have had the Typhoon Intake on my Escape for about 20 k miles. My gas milage went up about 2 mpg on average and it is quicker for sure. It does make more noise but what did you expect?
Fraggleskat is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 41 Old 01-11-2017, 06:11 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 57
Order the top lid box today from KN they charged my $11.99 I believe for it. I have the drop in filter from them already not sure how much of a difference it would make to have the end be open?
Bradkamin is offline  
post #33 of 41 Old 01-13-2017, 03:31 PM
Senior Member
 
mrmikesdeuce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Syracuse, NY 13219
Posts: 726
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradkamin View Post
Order the top lid box today from KN they charged my $11.99 I believe for it. I have the drop in filter from them already not sure how much of a difference it would make to have the end be open?

That will depend on what drop-in filter you have!


Tip: The K & N filter listed for our Escapes is #2993 . It is a closed end filter. The K & N 57S-4000 intake kit comes with filter #9289 . This filter has a removable plug in the end to give you a open ended filter if desired. It will flow more air than the #2993 , and thus more noise. You have the option of leaving the plug in if you want. This filter #9289 is not listed for our Escapes, but is a drop-in replacement and can be purchased separately. Several members of this forum are currently running them in our cars.

2017 Lincoln MKC Reserve
White Platinum w/Hazelnut leather
2.3L Ecoboost
Equipment group 300A
Technology Package
Climate Package
18" Wheels

Built 1/27/17

2011 Escape Limited 4WD, 3.0 V-6
Steel Blue w/Charcoal black leather
Loaded
mrmikesdeuce is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 41 Old 01-17-2017, 07:38 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 57
Got the lid today from KN now I really want the open end Filter. The lid is just for looks honestly doesn't do anything for the stock closed end KN Filter
Bradkamin is offline  
post #35 of 41 Old 02-24-2017, 07:44 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: W (BY GOD) V
Posts: 77
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoshark View Post

If you already have a K&N filter (closed end), or any other filter, you can contact K&N and order the airbox lid only. Cost you about $15.00.

Then spend another $5.50 and buy the air horn for a Focus ST, and remove the Escape's snorkel & replace it with the ST air horn. Don't know about more HP or MPG yet, but definitely improved throttle response.
Do you by any chance have the FORD PN's for these two pieces and possibly a photo of the install?

THANX!
KULTULZ is offline  
post #36 of 41 Old 02-28-2017, 08:25 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 57
Has anyone removal there snorkel? I just watched the video on the ST forum looks fairly straight forward.
Bradkamin is offline  
post #37 of 41 Old 03-14-2017, 09:30 AM
Member
 
afrats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 98
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraggleskat View Post
I have had the Typhoon Intake on my Escape for about 20 k miles. My gas milage went up about 2 mpg on average and it is quicker for sure. It does make more noise but what did you expect?
I just put it on my 2014 yesterday. Hopefully I get the same outcome that you have had.

2014 Ford Escape Titanium 4WD 2.0L Turbo, Pano Sunroof, Leather, Sync 2, Power Liftgate, Smart Key, Sunset Metallic
afrats is offline  
post #38 of 41 Old 03-14-2017, 10:17 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: W (BY GOD) V
Posts: 77
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoshark View Post

If you already have a K&N filter (closed end), or any other filter, you can contact K&N and order the airbox lid only. Cost you about $15.00.

Then spend another $5.50 and buy the air horn for a Focus ST, and remove the Escape's snorkel & replace it with the ST air horn. Don't know about more HP or MPG yet, but definitely improved throttle response.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post

Do you by any chance have the FORD PN's for these two pieces and possibly a photo of the install?

THANX!


So in essence, what is being described above is basically upgrading the ESCAPE AIR FILTER housing by installing a FOCUS box lid and K&N filter element, not the complete K&N asm (I love the factory look)?

I have also bought the K&N complete upgrade and have not installed yet. When I changed the filter element first go-around, the restriction(s) I found in the box, intake and supply tubing astonished me. The 2.0L EB has an enriched cold start feature that leaves black on my exhaust tips. Hopefully, the kit will allow more air to be drawn and lean the mixture out.

2013 ESCAPE TITANIUM 2.0L EB AWD-

Love This Car But Will Not Buy Another FORD Product
KULTULZ is offline  
post #39 of 41 Old 03-16-2017, 09:39 AM
Member
 
afrats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 98
Garage
So, just putting my numbers out there...


Before the K&N (running regular 85 Octane gas) - MPG = 23.5
After the K&N (running 91 Octane gas) - MPG = hovering around 30


I would say that the combination of the 2 has taken the MPG to where I will not miss the fuel economy of my Focus too much.

2014 Ford Escape Titanium 4WD 2.0L Turbo, Pano Sunroof, Leather, Sync 2, Power Liftgate, Smart Key, Sunset Metallic
afrats is offline  
post #40 of 41 Old 03-16-2017, 12:04 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrats View Post
So, just putting my numbers out there...


Before the K&N (running regular 85 Octane gas) - MPG = 23.5
After the K&N (running 91 Octane gas) - MPG = hovering around 30


I would say that the combination of the 2 has taken the MPG to where I will not miss the fuel economy of my Focus too much.
Have you checked your A/F ratio to see if you are running lean?
ToraTora is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



  Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First "new" car, not happy! Josh&Molly Exterior and Interior 11 12-22-2015 03:08 PM
trip 1 & 2 rcheeze Ford Escape General Discussion 14 05-22-2015 05:39 PM
amp and subs Matthew Boss Electronics, Audio, and Lighting 24 02-21-2015 12:53 AM
Multiple &$!&#@ Rattles! VectorZ Problems & Solutions 24 11-29-2013 06:19 AM
Where to ground amp? TierAngst Electronics, Audio, and Lighting 29 11-16-2013 12:32 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On