1Likes
  • 1 Post By jtzako

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 08-23-2016, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

No Oil Left in Engine

I have a 2016 Ford Escape SE with about 27,000 miles. I recently had it serviced at my local dealer (at around 25,000 miles). I had them do tire rotation and their full synthetic oil change. I went a couple weeks later to take it on a trip for work (I only use this vehicle for work, I normally drive my 14 explorer sport) about halfway to the destination (about a 5 hour drive), the engine starts losing power and basically wants to stall. Never had a problem before this, it started happening when I was going about 70 on the highway. I drive it the rest of the way while it wasn't driving right. Their was no oil light and the check engine light was flashing. I took it in to the dealer around here and they replaced the engine completely under warranty of it sitting for about a month at their dealership. Before the rep came out and said it would be covered. They showed me it only had a half a quart of oil left. How does this happen after 2,000 miles and there was never a oil light. I usually check to make sure they put enough oil in after each oil change it. At 25,000 miles it was at the recommended level and then it was almost empty. They said there were no leaks also. Does anyone know why this happened? I have about $1,500 in rental car charges and a lease payment for the month that I didn't have it. My local dealer said he would pay for it but I'd like to see if ford will. I'm going to pick up the car today hopefully. Is there anything I should ask before I sign the paper and take the keys?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-23-2016, 12:15 PM

Garage
1) I would expect warning well before getting that low on oil. A sensor could be bad possibly.

2) The dealership (or whoever) that did the last oil change may not have done something right. Assuming they did put enough oil in to begin with, something was probably loose that allowed oil to come out.
td2013 likes this.

2017 Escape Titanium 2.0L 4WD - White Platinum
post #3 of 7 Old 08-23-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threads View Post
I have a 2016 Ford Escape SE with about 27,000 miles. I recently had it serviced at my local dealer (at around 25,000 miles). I had them do tire rotation and their full synthetic oil change. I went a couple weeks later to take it on a trip for work (I only use this vehicle for work, I normally drive my 14 explorer sport) about halfway to the destination (about a 5 hour drive), the engine starts losing power and basically wants to stall. Never had a problem before this, it started happening when I was going about 70 on the highway. I drive it the rest of the way while it wasn't driving right. Their was no oil light and the check engine light was flashing. I took it in to the dealer around here and they replaced the engine completely under warranty of it sitting for about a month at their dealership. Before the rep came out and said it would be covered. They showed me it only had a half a quart of oil left. How does this happen after 2,000 miles and there was never a oil light. I usually check to make sure they put enough oil in after each oil change it. At 25,000 miles it was at the recommended level and then it was almost empty. They said there were no leaks also. Does anyone know why this happened? I have about $1,500 in rental car charges and a lease payment for the month that I didn't have it. My local dealer said he would pay for it but I'd like to see if ford will. I'm going to pick up the car today hopefully. Is there anything I should ask before I sign the paper and take the keys?
Seems odd, not sure why this would happen, but perfect example of why I'm planning on taking my FE to the dealer for all services. Might be a bit more expensive that other places or doing it yourself but I don't want to give them any excuse to not honor their warranty.

2017 Escape Titanium 2.0L 4WD - Ingot Silver
Navigation
Panoramic Vista Roof
Class II Trailer Tow Prep
Build Date: May 2016
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 08-23-2016, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtzako View Post
1) I would expect warning well before getting that low on oil. A sensor could be bad possibly.

2) The dealership (or whoever) that did the last oil change may not have done something right. Assuming they did put enough oil in to begin with, something was probably loose that allowed oil to come out.
I never had anything on my garage floor or anywhere else so If it actually came out of the engine it would of been on the highway.

If anyone needs this info, we drove it about 3 hours after it started (of course Ford doesn't know about that) during the ride the car would be fine for about 5 minutes then the check engine light would blink for a little and the car kept trying to shift into higher gears and when it would go into 6th it would vibrate a ton. It would vibrate a lot at stop lights and it would keep dropping the RPM's to about 500 then kicking itself back to 1,100. It would just keep fluctuating itself.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-23-2016, 02:06 PM

Quote:
.... Does anyone know why this happened? I have about $1,500 in rental car charges and a lease payment for the month that I didn't have it. My local dealer said he would pay for it but I'd like to see if ford will. I'm going to pick up the car today hopefully. Is there anything I should ask before I sign the paper and take the keys?
IMHO not enough info here to know what happened. Did you check the dipstick after the dealer oil change (IMHO that should be SOP before you leave the shop if you have anyone change your oil; you'd double check if you did the oil change yourself)? Do you know if any oil made its way into the cooling system? Some of the symptoms you describe sound like the car going into 'limp mode' due to overheating - in the 'excitement' of the moment you may have missed some of the dashboard warning messages.

Why do you care if you are made whole by "Ford" or "the dealer"?

If the problem was due to a dealer error (e.g. incomplete oil fill) they may be 'eating' the cost, not Ford.

Ask for a detailed explanation if you must know and be prepared to question for more details than they provide if that's what's needed for the explanation to sound credible to you.

Oh, and get that rent car payment covered before you sign anything. If they do that, in most jurisdictions you've no claim for loss of use of your lease since they covered the rental 'substitute'.

Obviously something funky went wrong but the root cause may not have anything to do with a mechanical failure.

BTW, what engine is in your SE ?

'14 Escape SE 2.0 FWD (25 Sep 13 build); 201A SE Convenience Package; Power Liftgate; Leather Comfort Package; Oxford White on Med Light Stone Leather (SYNC 2 w/8" MFT screen)
I love my hard-working '05 F-150 XLT 5.4 V8 trailer-towing truck, too !

Help us help you - what is your year, engine, drivetrain, trim and SYNC version?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-23-2016, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by centex View Post
Quote:
.... Does anyone know why this happened? I have about $1,500 in rental car charges and a lease payment for the month that I didn't have it. My local dealer said he would pay for it but I'd like to see if ford will. I'm going to pick up the car today hopefully. Is there anything I should ask before I sign the paper and take the keys?
IMHO not enough info here to know what happened. Did you check the dipstick after the dealer oil change (IMHO that should be SOP before you leave the shop if you have anyone change your oil; you'd double check if you did the oil change yourself)? Do you know if any oil made its way into the cooling system? Some of the symptoms you describe sound like the car going into 'limp mode' due to overheating - in the 'excitement' of the moment you may have missed some of the dashboard warning messages.

Why do you care if you are made whole by "Ford" or "the dealer"?

If the problem was due to a dealer error (e.g. incomplete oil fill) they may be 'eating' the cost, not Ford.

Ask for a detailed explanation if you must know and be prepared to question for more details than they provide if that's what's needed for the explanation to sound credible to you.

Oh, and get that rent car payment covered before you sign anything. If they do that, in most jurisdictions you've no claim for loss of use of your lease since they covered the rental 'substitute'.

Obviously something funky went wrong but the root cause may not have anything to do with a mechanical failure.

BTW, what engine is in your SE ?
1. I always check it before I leave and yes it was full to the specified amount.
2. Not sure. I know after they filled it they said it started smoking and oil was getting to the cylinder head or something like that. That's when they said they were gonna keep it.
3. I know it wasn't overheating. The display showed "all systems ok" the entire way there.
4. Would rather for them to take the cost than a smaller business like a dealer.
5. My dealer said he'd cover it. Ford wouldn't cover it since I don't have the extra warranty thing. I don't need the warranty right now for the car since it's covered under the 36,000 miles warranty. I've bought over 100 fleet vehicles from this dealer and they have no problem with me borrowing a car for a couple days so it doesn't matter for ford to cover my rental cars since I don't rent for that reason. The car I rented was a premium car and they don't cover those. Let me know if you need more info.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-09-2016, 01:10 AM

Did the little bit of oil shown to you look like a milkshake?
How about the coolant expansion tank? Did it look orange or like orange brown mud?
My 1st thought was head gasket, kind of along the lines of Centex, but I've never heard of a crankcase emptying on a blown head gasket.....

The simplest explanation is usually the right one.

The tech stripped the oil drain plug when putting it back in and told no one about it.
Every time you drove the vehicle at higher RPMs (up shifting to get on the highway or just upshifting around town), the oil pressure went up, enough to push some oil past the drain plug. Depending on your driving style and route, it may not have taken very long to lose all the oil out the stripped drain plug. I do not know how the OIL light would not have turned on unless the sensor.

(speculation)
Either the oil pressure sending unit was bad, bad wiring, or Ford has placed the oil pressure sensor in an oilway that still sees high oil pressure even when there is almost none there. I'm a Saturn guy by trade and am learning Escapes as I have a 2014 SE 2.0 -- but I can't believe that Ford would have a design flaw that bad that the oil pressure sensor would still see quasi normal pressure under such situations. Maybe your sensor had something jamming up the sensor diaphragm causing it to read in range the whole time

Flashing SES = active misfire of engine, hence the not running smooth and vibrating at idle with the rpms all over the place -- the ECM is trying to keep things running amidst the chaos.

The increasing vibration level as you go up in gears when the car is not really going fast enough or does not have the torque in the power band you are in (or not in) is the same as with a manual transmission--I call it overgearing or bogging the engine

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page