Advertisement

post #12 of 26 Old 01-09-2017, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I paid them $99.00
post #13 of 26 Old 01-10-2017, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Garage
My headlights are always set on auto
they always come on in the dark!
the headlights never came on in the daylight when it was raining!!
Now they do!!!
Software updates are important!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 26 Old 01-10-2017, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waverunner10 View Post
I paid them $99.00
Thanks for the info.

Nothing's been posted to quite convince me that the sort of general software update described in the OP is an "important" part of a "preventive maintenance" routine but to each his own.

Update prompted by TSB or FSA in response to a specific symptom being a different matter. I do wonder if maybe that's the case with the OPs 'headlight with wiper' issue since most of us seem to have that already (agreeing with @SteveTurbo that seems to be tied to the auto-headlight feature - thanks for that clarification). Those sorts of things (addressed in TSB/FSA) are usually covered by warranty, either original or ESP, if such warranty is still effective, but are usually done at owner expense after the warranty has expired.

In part I wonder if that's what is going on in the OPs case because I know that the Dealer Service Writer can, by simply entering the vehicle VIN in OASIS, get an instant display of all open TSB/FSA applicable to the car - whether or not the customer is reporting the related symptom or even aware of the TSB/FSA issue.

Gaining that specific feature is certainly a nice convenience, and maybe worth the price for some, but IMHO not in the category of "important" or "preventive maintenance".
jshel101 and 67RS like this.

'14 Escape SE 2.0 FWD (25 Sep 13 build); 201A SE Convenience Package; Power Liftgate; Leather Comfort Package; Oxford White on Med Light Stone Leather (SYNC 2 w/8" MFT screen)
I love my hard-working '05 F-150 XLT 5.4 V8 trailer-towing truck, too !

Help us help you - what is your year, engine, drivetrain, trim and SYNC version?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 26 Old 01-10-2017, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator

Is the new display you see the quad screen? There is a thread about this. I was getting the low fuel warning with around a 1/4 tank or more left. A TSB fixed this issue and also programmed the quad screen.

2013 2.0L AWD Titanium, Titanium Technology Package, Silver Ingot
post #16 of 26 Old 01-11-2017, 02:21 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Ford does not tell you what is in the software updates!
There is not always a TSB!
Microsoft does not not tell you what is in updates anymore!
Your car is a computer!
Ford does not tell you what the updates are because they are covering their ass!
post #17 of 26 Old 01-11-2017, 02:38 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I got the quad screen from a past update!
This feature was added to the quad screen!
post #18 of 26 Old 01-11-2017, 05:02 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Centex, I grew up in a friend's family Ford Dealership
I was able to use the lifts and all the mechanics air tools
I have been working on cars since I was 10 years old.
1st new car 1970 Maverick Grabber 200 straight six CID
Was a district manager for BF Goodrich Tire company in the 80's
I am up on all new technology! and computers!
I do know what I am talking about.
Now 66 years old and still learning!
Also a car inspector for 2 companies.
post #19 of 26 Old 01-11-2017, 01:04 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Centex, I grew up in a friend's family Ford Dealership
I was able to use the lifts and all the mechanics air tools
I have been working on cars since I was 10 years old.
1st new car 1970 Maverick Grabber 200 straight six CID
Was a district manager for BF Goodrich Tire company in the 80's
I am up on all new technology! and computers!
I do know what I am talking about.
Now 66 years old and still learning!
Also a car inspector for 2 companies.
That's cool and I do, as I'm sure others do, appreciate you sharing your info and opinions - that's what's great about the forum. I never intended to suggest you don't know what you're talking about even if I may disagree with your opinion on occasion. Sharing a perhaps differing opinion in response to a post isn't meant to belittle the OP in any way - it is only a different opinion for readers to consider, nothing more nothing less.

Your computer analogy is one where we might differ .... I agree that computer virus/hack vulnerability related updates are an example of 'important preventive maintenance'.

But lots of so-called computer OS 'updates', especially for example those pushed by Microsoft on Win 10 users, are to add features such as new 'apps' (whether or not the user wants/needs those 'apps') or to take-away user control flexibility (e.g. Win 10 Pro 2016 "anniversary update" which removed substantial admin policy-setting rights that had been available until that update was installed). IMHO those don't fall in the 'important PM' category, and just because MS pushes them with little ability for users to get advance info about them or limit the forced-updates doesn't mean they are desirable, good or important for everyone.

We know from other threads on this forum (and @HayaiKuruma 's example mentioned above) that at least some Escape module 'updates' have exactly that same effect - making changes that some owners don't care to have as unintended consequences.

All I'm saying is that we each need to take care about following blanket statements about what is best for us individually. And yeah, that takes some extra digging and work to figure out sometimes. In my case, back to the computer analogy, I learned from hands-on experience that the 'upgrade' from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro and it's associated 'update model' actually reduced my productivity and enjoyment of my computer - so I went back to Win 7 Pro which is still supported insofar as genuinely important virus/hack vulnerability PM updates.

I know that's not the same for everyone - but reading other user opinions and experience helped me determine that was best for me, and that's the value and beauty of being able to share/read differing opinions on a forum. OMHO one-size doesn't always fit all.

Lol, our age and automotive-enthusiast history sounds similar - my first 'training' on car mods and maintenance was on a Crosley Hotshot my Dad bought just for that purpose, waaay before I was old enough to drive (legally ;-). We pulled the engine with a rope-and-pulley over elm-tree limb in the back yard :-0. And yep, I'm still learning, too !

'14 Escape SE 2.0 FWD (25 Sep 13 build); 201A SE Convenience Package; Power Liftgate; Leather Comfort Package; Oxford White on Med Light Stone Leather (SYNC 2 w/8" MFT screen)
I love my hard-working '05 F-150 XLT 5.4 V8 trailer-towing truck, too !

Help us help you - what is your year, engine, drivetrain, trim and SYNC version?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 26 Old 01-11-2017, 02:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
I got the quad screen from a past update!
This feature was added to the quad screen!
What exactly is the feature?

2013 SEL 2.0L AWD
Build date 7/20/12
Job#1 program control

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page