23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 186 Old 11-02-2013, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Livernois Tuner Review for Ford Escape 2.0

So you got a shiny new SUV but you want something more performance wise but it is your only vehicle and you need to drive it every day. Welcome to electronic vehicle tuning. I’m from the old school where performance was replacing the exhaust, adding a cam, milling, porting or replacing the heads and changing and tuning the new carburetor. There was also the superchargers and turbochargers but they required a lot of custom tuning to get them right. If you messed up you had a big investment in something that didn’t run that well or broke. The new vehicles now use electronics to change the parameters of the engine and even the transmission and braking among other things. There are a lot of people on the forums with ideas and comments but not all of them are really informed and are just stating their thoughts and not real facts. Well here are the facts guys: I recently purchased the Escape 2.0 tune from Livernois after reading about it on the internet and this forum. The fact is Livernois is a well established company of not only tuner kits but also complete motor and parts kits. They test their products on a dyno so you can see the results and not just hear about what “they think the output should be” as with so many other parts sellers. In all the internet checking I did I was not able to find anyone that had bad things to say about them. Their site even has video of their tests with the dyno output using the Escape. See the results for yourself:

AIW 2013 Escape 2.0 EcoBoost MYCALIBR8OR Tuning Device - Livernois Motorsports.

The output using 93 octane is increased by over 30 hp and 42 lbs/ft of torque at the wheels. If you compute the loss of a stock engine on the dyno through the drive train (240 hp to 182 hp) you get a loss of 58 hp or 24% drive train loss. That translates to 280 crank hp after the tune and an increase of almost 60 lbs/ft at the crank. A 6 lb supercharger added to a stock engine will give you about the same results. Impressive to say the least. I assure you it makes a noticeable improvement. Now that is great but why pay $599.99 for it when you can wait and maybe get something cheaper? First what do you get for your money with Livernois? The unit comes unprogrammed but with simple directions on how to get the information they need to send you the proper tune. The tuner can be used on several different engines and models so this is the best way to get it to you plus they want to be sure you get the proper tune for your engine. The other reason is that you may have added other changes to the engine and they need to know this to properly tune “your” motor. They email you a program with the tune that loads into your computer. It adds an icon to the desktop for easy activation. Once loaded you simply plug in the tuner with the supplied cable and hit the icon. The program finds the tuner and loads the program automatically. When you contact Livernois with your vehicle information you can request up to 4 different octane tunes and let them know about other modifications at that time. They have tunes for 87, 89, 91, 93 octane gas. They also have the same tunes modified slightly for each if you are going to tow anything. I chose 87 and 87 towing and 93 and 93 towing as I have a trailer I use at times and for trips the 87 gas is cheaper. As to why the price is worth it understand that their programmer is custom designed to be pretty much idiot proof. When you are loading the tune if you accidentally turn the vehicle off or disconnect the tuner the unit will automatically default to the stock tune so no memory is lost and the vehicle does not have any ill effects. Does your cheaper unit have that feature? Also check to be sure the vehicle does not stall when put into drive or reverse as some of the other competitor tunes have been known to do. The unit can be easily reprogrammed should you decide to change out any of the original 4 tunes. Did I mention that all future tunes for this vehicle are includes free should you modify it more in the future. Another nice feature for the money. The tune is set and if any changes are wanted you would need to contact Livernois (free of charge) to modify the tune. This keeps you from messing with the tune in a way that might damage the engine. The transmission shift is also modified with the tunes. You can feel it shift more positively but not harshly and easy to live with. The transmission memory that Ford uses has an auto learn feature so if you drive it easy over time the shifts will get easier as well. If that is a problem for you diehards you can simply reflash the program and it will restore the firmer shift pattern. It only takes about 5 minutes to reprogram the vehicle. The Drive and Sport mode still work as before so you can still enjoy that feature and it will definitely light up the tires. All this is great as is the performance increase but as with all things the product is only as good as the support. Remember the name Anthony. He is the man when it comes to assistance. You can email him as well at:

info@livernoismotorsports.com attn: Anthony.

He went so far as to stay after closing to help answer questions and help me check and load the original program onto my computer. He was always there to happily answer questions and I asked a lot of them both with emails and the phone. If you have any questions he can help you. Needless to say I am very happy with the product and the service and I feel the price is more than fair. They have designed the tune so it is safe for your engine while still giving you a lot of performance so don’t be afraid to install it in that nice new SUV. If you have questions call them at 313-561-5500 or the above email.
TRAILN, socal_jayo, dimfer and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 186 Old 11-02-2013, 12:11 PM

Great write-up! Keep us all posted on the day-to-day performance and any tips or advice you can give potential buyers or new owners. Congrats on the purchase and I hope that all goes well!
post #3 of 186 Old 11-02-2013, 02:21 PM

What a great write-up!!! bbgunner, my thanks for this info.
Ordered mine a few days ago and am very excited.
We are working on a CAI system that will fit the escape and compliment the tune. Seems the escape loses more than average the HP from crank to rubber so maybe other mods can make the difference.

2014 Escape Titanium 2.0 - AWD - Sterling gray - 401A group - Navi system
Pano roof - Trailer tow hitch - Mud flaps - Perma sealant surface protection product
19x8.5 Vertini black/machined wheels - 245/45/19 Continental Contact DWS tires
Custom built exhaust w/magaflow resonator and muffler, 2.5" tubing and stunning tips
LIVERNOIS tuned for 91 & 93 - K&N air filter - K&N gold oil filter and amsoil oil
Rear gray diffuser painted to match bumper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 186 Old 11-02-2013, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Don't worry too much about the drive line loss, remember that a dyno is at best a reference point and will vary between units but it does reflect the true difference that they got with just the tune. As for the performance with the 93 tune, it will spin the tires for about 8 feet from a 10 mph roll in Sport mode when I floor it in first gear and also spin them for about 5 foot on the second gear when it up shifts. It will really spin them from a stand still. I also added a K & N filter on the intake. Because it is a conical filter you can just leave the top of the air cleaner off if you hold the filter in place with a small strap. It already has a groove in the back that helps hold it in place so only a strap on top is needed. Anthony at Livernois told me one of the aftermarket products uses the same setup on another vehicle and claims 15 more hp with the K & N filter. Not sure about the hp claim but you can just remove the lid and keep the stock filter if you hold it down with a strap. I used a plastic plumbers strap I got from Lowes for $2 to do the job. I would sent you a picture of mine but the system will not allow pictures on the quick reply messages. Anyone know how you can add pictures other than on a new thread??? Bottom line is 5-10 more hp with just a $2 strap. Not a bad deal and you can always put it back stock as you are not damaging anything. I think you will enjoy the Livernois tune I know I am.
post #5 of 186 Old 11-03-2013, 02:59 AM Thread Starter

It has been a few days since I added the new Livernois tuner program to the vehicle. I can report that other than the increased performance the vehicle starts, idles, runs and drives the same as stock. The only telling difference is the slightly firmer shift and that will soften up over time if you drive it easy. The tuner by the way will also check for vehicle codes and will let you clear them if desired. Another test of the quality of the new program is that there are no codes produced from adding it to the system. In this age where not having the gas cap on tight enough can cause a code that is no small feat in itself. I see no down side to this new tune. It is truly well thought out and a win win for those that want a little more power. I for one am glad I got it and I highly recommend it to anyone.
post #6 of 186 Old 11-04-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbgunner View Post
It has been a few days since I added the new Livernois tuner program to the vehicle. I can report that other than the increased performance the vehicle starts, idles, runs and drives the same as stock. The only telling difference is the slightly firmer shift and that will soften up over time if you drive it easy. The tuner by the way will also check for vehicle codes and will let you clear them if desired. Another test of the quality of the new program is that there are no codes produced from adding it to the system. In this age where not having the gas cap on tight enough can cause a code that is no small feat in itself. I see no down side to this new tune. It is truly well thought out and a win win for those that want a little more power. I for one am glad I got it and I highly recommend it to anyone.
I agree, I already have over 300 miles on mine since I installed the 87 tune, and my transmission shifts have softened up quite a bit. Just wish the Ford engineers had spent more time on the torque steer, although I think it's the traction control kicking in. You can definitely light up Mr. Squiggly with the LMS tunes!

2013 SE 2.0L FWD Frosted Glass, sunroof,18'" wheels.
post #7 of 186 Old 11-09-2013, 02:00 PM

interesting read.please tell us how you gas mileage is affected by all of this
post #8 of 186 Old 11-09-2013, 02:52 PM
JMR

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbgunner View Post
They have designed the tune so it is safe for your engine while still giving you a lot of performance so don’t be afraid to install it in that nice new SUV.
I see no down side to this new tune. It is truly well thought out and a win win for those that want a little more power. I for one am glad I got it and I highly recommend it to anyone.
Glad this mod is working well for you. Thanks for the report. I suggest that any interested forum members also read the Livernois disclaimer at AIW 2013 Escape 2.0 EcoBoost MYCALIBR8OR Tuning Device - Livernois Motorsports. This material, not comments made in this forum, is what will govern your purchase, so make an informed decision. Some highlights:
Quote:
The installation of any custom tuning product may or may not void the vehicles factory warranty, and it is the responsibility of customers to check this with their vehicle manufacturer. ...
It is assumed by Livernois Motorsports that all vehicles being programmed are in good working condition, and have been reviewed by the customer to ensure that the vehicle is capable of handling additional power and performance. It is the customer’s responsibility to ensure this is true. ...
All tuning products are designed for off-road/race use only, and are not for legal sale for on-road vehicles in states that require pollution controlled vehicles.
You might end up being very pleased with this tune, but don't rush into a purchase thinking that there is absolutely no potential risk, especially in the absence of long-term testing.

2013 Sterling Gray Metallic Escape SEL 2.0L 4WD w/Equipment Group 302A, Panorama Roof, Ford OEM Cargo Area Protector, Ford OEM Splash Guards, WeatherTech All-Weather Floor Mats (front only), Ford OEM Center Console Tray, Aluminum Pedal Covers, Fitted LED DRLs
post #9 of 186 Old 11-09-2013, 06:29 PM

Garage
^ You make a good point. I always tell people that if you're going to modify your car, you have to be willing to accept the consequences. There's always potential for total failure with almost anything you change. I've seen too many people unwilling to place blame where it should go; on themselves.

Lord knows I've dealt with it before, and probably will again sometime in the future. Just hopefully not soon.
post #10 of 186 Old 11-09-2013, 07:34 PM

Great comments from everyone on consequences that might arise.
Just received mine in the mail and will start on Thursday when comming back.

To go 'WHERE NO MAN HAS GONE BEFORE' does offer great risks, BUT also great rewards.
Off course this mod is for a very few, 'but boys will be boys'.

2014 Escape Titanium 2.0 - AWD - Sterling gray - 401A group - Navi system
Pano roof - Trailer tow hitch - Mud flaps - Perma sealant surface protection product
19x8.5 Vertini black/machined wheels - 245/45/19 Continental Contact DWS tires
Custom built exhaust w/magaflow resonator and muffler, 2.5" tubing and stunning tips
LIVERNOIS tuned for 91 & 93 - K&N air filter - K&N gold oil filter and amsoil oil
Rear gray diffuser painted to match bumper

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page