3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 Old 11-12-2013, 01:01 PM

Automatic Transmission Fluid Change

Just wanted to get a feel or general consensus on when folks plan on changing their ATF. Our 2013's are getting up there in miles. We all know that the manual states 150,000 intervals. But isn't this number a little high? Maybe to help reduce the operating cost of the vehicle to make it more marketable? This is not really a Ford thing, they are all doing it and trying to have the lowest cost.

I was thinking doing the simple fluid change every 50,000. The service DVD lists like 3 different levels of change depending on how much of the trapped fluid you want to get out.

I figure if I do the simple drain and fill often enough that will be fine. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-12-2013, 02:08 PM

Garage
I haven't looked yet but do we even have an accessible drain plug and fill port (dipstick) for the tranny? I know my VW had the "magical" sealed transmission that never needed any fills or service for the "life" of the vehicle. Non the less when I had a tranny leak at 18k miles they opened it and replaced the seal, filter, and refilled the tranny. I'd say every 60k miles would be a good replacement time for the fluid especially with a 6 speed (more gear changes with regular driving and a more complex group of clutches and planitaries)
#3 Old 11-12-2013, 02:15 PM

I typically cut the recommended interval in half....so 75k is when I would change fluid/filter.

And recommendations are the maximum with very good driving conditions. If you do a lot of stop and go, hills, off-roading, half the recommended value would be maximum.
Elf911 likes this.

2014 Escape Titanium AWD 2.0L Turbo - Bright Silver
(Ford, Please Fix The Instrument Panel Dim Function)
2008 Pontiac G8 GT 6.0L W/Bolt-ons - Stealth Blue
#4 Old 11-12-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG963 View Post
I typically cut the recommended interval in half....so 75k is when I would change fluid/filter.

And recommendations are the maximum with very good driving conditions. If you do a lot of stop and go, hills, off-roading, half the recommended value would be maximum.
thats the best thing to do if you really care about your vehicle and want to keep it for a long time. even with the first oil change i over kill it all the time. Best to do what ever you can to get the most out o fit.
#5 Old 11-12-2013, 04:05 PM

Garage
Question still is can you drain and refill this transmission or do you need to go under and use the weird hose/pump to refill like my VW?
#6 Old 11-12-2013, 04:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elf911 View Post
Question still is can you drain and refill this transmission or do you need to go under and use the weird hose/pump to refill like my VW?
Most likely.

Those that have the service DVD should chime in with the details.

-justin

2013 Escape Titanium (See it here)
#7 Old 11-12-2013, 05:15 PM

Just had my 30K service at the Ford dealership - they drained and filled the transmission fluid. Assumed that was standard. (?)

Previous owner of: 2013 SEL, White Platinum, 4WD, 1.6 LTR engine, full leather, panoramic roof, MFT (no nav), all weather mats, 18" alloy wheels. Went where ever bad Escapes go to die by way of Ford's Reacquired Vehicle Program.

Currently own: 2014 Titanium, White Platinum, full leather, 4WD, 2.0 LTR engine, panoramic roof, navigation system, 19" nickel alloy wheels, roof rail/cross bars.
#8 Old 11-12-2013, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elf911 View Post
I haven't looked yet but do we even have an accessible drain plug and fill port (dipstick) for the tranny? I know my VW had the "magical" sealed transmission that never needed any fills or service for the "life" of the vehicle. Non the less when I had a tranny leak at 18k miles they opened it and replaced the seal, filter, and refilled the tranny. I'd say every 60k miles would be a good replacement time for the fluid especially with a 6 speed (more gear changes with regular driving and a more complex group of clutches and planitaries)
I did check the service DVD and there is a process to do the fluid change. No dipstick on our Escapes but there is a drain plug and fill port(I think). I will have to post the info when I get time. I remember it saying the vehicle should be running when you check the level. What I have done in the past is measure what I drain and replace with the same amount plus a dash more. Then I check the level and add if needed.
#9 Old 11-12-2013, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013Escape View Post
Just had my 30K service at the Ford dealership - they drained and filled the transmission fluid. Assumed that was standard. (?)

same here I will do mine at 30k

2014 Escape S Sunset
oem tow hitch
Max floor liners
20% tint Solar Guard HP smoke
#10 Old 11-13-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013Escape View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfour View Post
same here I will do mine at 30k
Manual states 150,000 mile interval between changes. Your just throwing money away changing it any sooner than 75,000 miles IMO. Of course the dealership is going to suggest it, it's easy money....

2014 Escape Titanium AWD 2.0L Turbo - Bright Silver
(Ford, Please Fix The Instrument Panel Dim Function)
2008 Pontiac G8 GT 6.0L W/Bolt-ons - Stealth Blue

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page