11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 39 Old 12-09-2013, 04:50 PM

Garage
Don't have one but from what I've seen and yes it's annoying you run an extension directly to the engine block cord. My friend had it through his grill but I think he cut to make it easy another just slammed the hood on the cord which I wouldn't suggest but it works. With the clod blast that just hit the states I just hope all drive safe and pay attention to the road!
KevinB likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 39 Old 12-09-2013, 05:05 PM

Garage
Actually, you get used to opening the hood, plugging in the extension cord to the block heater and then closing the hood on the cord (The rubber seal prevents damage to the cord, and you can still use the remote start in this case). I actually like this method, the head of the block heater cord won't be flapping in the wind, and eventually break on the ends, it won't be beating against the paint on the SUV either, instead it will be in engine compartment, where it should last for years I have been using it for about the last 3 weeks now, every night. I remote start the car, open the drivers door, push the ignition button, pop the hood, unplug it, close the hood, and off I go...
Elf911 and bigbirchlake like this.

---------------------------------------
2013 Escape SEL 2.0L 4WD, Sony/Nav
Panoramic Power Sunroof
Deep Impact Blue Metallic
post #13 of 39 Old 12-09-2013, 06:48 PM

Wow. Well, maybe that's the way it is now. It might explain why I've noticed fewer cords hanging out of grills these days. Maybe I'm just getting old and lazy, but continually popping the hood when it's -40C seems more than inconvenient to me. But, I guess I'll just suck it up and try it that way and see if I end up being a convert.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 39 Old 12-09-2013, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcnul8tr View Post
Actually, you get used to opening the hood, plugging in the extension cord to the block heater and then closing the hood on the cord (The rubber seal prevents damage to the cord, and you can still use the remote start in this case). I actually like this method, the head of the block heater cord won't be flapping in the wind, and eventually break on the ends, it won't be beating against the paint on the SUV either, instead it will be in engine compartment, where it should last for years I have been using it for about the last 3 weeks now, every night. I remote start the car, open the drivers door, push the ignition button, pop the hood, unplug it, close the hood, and off I go...
Exactly how I've done it for years. I didn't want the end of the cord flopping around like a chicken wing. Even on my company pickups.

2013 Titanium 4WD-Replaced with 2014 Lincoln MKX AWD
post #15 of 39 Old 12-10-2013, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedup View Post
Exactly how I've done it for years. I didn't want the end of the cord flopping around like a chicken wing. Even on my company pickups.
If you need to use the block heater a lot (like on a diesel truck), here's what you need to do.

This is a Marinco Charger inlet usually used for boat battery charging at the dock, but works very well on vehicles as well. It's installed by cutting the factory cord and wiring it into the inlet (which is like a male cord end that you'd get at a hardware store, but recessed behind the rubber plug). You can plug your extension cord in without opening the hood, and the cord end won't be flapping in the breeze and break. It only takes one hand to plug/unplug, and if you forget and back out of the driveway it unplugs itself (not recommended, though). Mfr's part # is BB-150 and costs about $20.

Wife's car: 13 Escape Titanium 2.0L AWD, Frosted Glass
My Truck: 99 F250 Supercab 4x4 7.3L Powerstroke
post #16 of 39 Old 12-10-2013, 08:05 AM

Garage
that look like it would work

2013 SE 2.0 in Frosted Glass, added ford window deflectors,ford splash guards,all weather floor mats and cargo mat wife's car

mine 2004 Heritage f150 XL work truck
2010 F150 STX
2001 F250 SC/PS/SD/ XLT
2000 Contour SVT
1978 x2 F150's
1979 F150 Ranger XLT
1994 F150 XLT
1993Mustang LX
1980 Granada
1974 Gran Torino
1949 Shoe Box
1963 Galaxie
post #17 of 39 Old 12-11-2013, 01:28 AM

Garage
I personally think this is intentional to keep people from plugging an extension cord directly to the block heater cord.

I'm in fairbanks, alaska. The typical winterization treatment here is that the dealership install a power strip between the engine bay and front fascia. They wire the block heater, battery heater, oil pan heater, and optionally the tranny pan heater to it.

A really common thing is that people back out without remembering the unplug first. I definitely wouldn't want to risk that when the block heater and extension cord are directly connected. If the plug doesn't happen to be oriented to disconnect, real damage can result.
klhansen likes this.
post #18 of 39 Old 12-11-2013, 10:39 AM

You might be right-just another thing to protect ourselves from ourselves. I've certainly driven away more than once without unplugging, but usually I just end up dragging an extension cord down the road and eventually losing it. Luckily I've never damaged anything. I find that I actually don't have to plug in newer vehicles much anymore, but my wife likes to which is how I got into this discussion!

2013 Ford Escape SE
2010 Ford Escape XLT
2011 Toyota 4Runner Limited
2004 Dodge RAM 1500
post #19 of 39 Old 12-13-2013, 09:31 PM

WTH?? It's another AutoGuide.com Forum.

Anyway, here's the photo I was trying to post.
Marinco_Plug.jpg
KevinB likes this.

post #20 of 39 Old 12-13-2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methodical View Post
I personally think this is intentional to keep people from plugging an extension cord directly to the block heater cord.

I'm in fairbanks, alaska. The typical winterization treatment here is that the dealership install a power strip between the engine bay and front fascia. They wire the block heater, battery heater, oil pan heater, and optionally the tranny pan heater to it.

A really common thing is that people back out without remembering the unplug first. I definitely wouldn't want to risk that when the block heater and extension cord are directly connected. If the plug doesn't happen to be oriented to disconnect, real damage can result.
I did exactly that with my daughter's Mazda pickup when she was going to school at UAF (the brain-freeze capital of the world. ). 40 below and colder is very common up there in the dead of winter.

Tags
block heater

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page