11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 39 Old 01-14-2015, 02:52 PM

Has anyone reported this as a design flaw? I was considering purchasing a short extension to make it long enough to feed through the grill but could not find a space to feed it even if it was longer. They also do not recommend multiple extension cords so a change in design is required.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 03-01-2015, 06:50 PM

I have so many complaints about the Escape. Lots... But there is nothing wrong with the length if the block heater cord. Plenty long enough. I base it between the grill and the hood. Absolutely no problem with mine.
post #33 of 39 Old 03-01-2015, 07:09 PM

I might have cut a tywrap to lengthen the cord but if you can do a minor thing to lengthen then there is no problem..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 39 Old 01-03-2016, 08:14 PM

Garage
Time to try the block heater as it's going to be cold here tonight -15C The cord in my 2016 was folded in half and clipped together. When unclipped it extends about 6 inches out of the front. I'll definitely fold it and clip it back in the morning before driving. First time with a vehicle with a block heater - will be interesting to see how fast the heat comes on in the morning.

2016 SE, 1.6, AWD, 201A, Oxford White, Black Leather Pkg, Panoramic Sunroof, Power Liftgate, SYNC3 NAV, Aftermarket: Findway Mats, Deep tray insert for the armrest.
post #35 of 39 Old 01-04-2016, 08:28 AM

Garage
I created a short extension of my own of a couple of feet. I take that and just leave it stuck out between the hood and the grill. I bought a little prong cover so the snow and ice don't stick.

I don't think multiple cords are really an issue - just be a little more loss.

I did it this way as otherwise it would be problematic for my wife to open the hood in the cold and the snow.
post #36 of 39 Old 01-05-2016, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeesEscape View Post
Time to try the block heater as it's going to be cold here tonight -15C The cord in my 2016 was folded in half and clipped together. When unclipped it extends about 6 inches out of the front. I'll definitely fold it and clip it back in the morning before driving. First time with a vehicle with a block heater - will be interesting to see how fast the heat comes on in the morning.
When you review your experience, please mention how long you had it plugged in. Thanks!
post #37 of 39 Old 01-05-2016, 07:20 PM

Smile This was super helpful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solee View Post
I did not want to have to open and close the hood each time I used the block heater cable. So I found a way to have it accessible at all times. There is a spot where the cable will lie down and not interfere with the hood. Its just to the left of the headlight. The problem is that it will not stay there. I fastened it down with 2 cable ties so that the hood closes properly and without causing damage to the cable. See the attached pics.
Hope you find this useful.
Solee
Thank you-the pictures helped so much! I was thinking it was that folded up cord but wanted to confirm since there is no diagram of it in the manual. Well, there is an "under the hood" diagram but nothing specifically pointing to the cord! I even chatted with someone from Ford and they couldn't tell me where it was. LOL.

Now I am ready for this week's -20 deg temperature.
post #38 of 39 Old 10-28-2016, 10:34 PM

I'm not sure about the older escapes, but my 2017 appears to have electronic louvers (Active Grille Shutters) that open/close automatically depending on the engine/water temperatures.
Because of this, it would be unwise to pass a cable though the front grill as you would interfere with the louvers and their operation.
post #39 of 39 Old 12-11-2016, 12:34 PM

You really don't need to tie wrap it. Just put it in place and close the hood carefully. Then the cord can be easily pulled out and in for extra length. Great location.

Tags
block heater

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page