11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 Old 11-20-2013, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Engine Block Heater, short cord

Has anyone figured out how to use the extremely short engine block heater cord Ford puts in the 2014 FE? It really doesn't fit outside of the engine compartment without separating the connections.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 11-20-2013, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Scudder View Post
Has anyone figured out how to use the extremely short engine block heater cord Ford puts in the 2014 FE? It really doesn't fit outside of the engine compartment without separating the connections.
Here you go - from the manual, page 127:

We recommend that you do the following for a safe and correct operation:
• Use a 16-gauge outdoor extension cord that is product certified by Underwriter’s Laboratory (UL) or Canadian Standards Association (CSA). This extension cord must be suitable for use outdoors, in cold temperatures, and be clearly marked Suitable for Use with Outdoor Appliances. Do not use an indoor extension cord outdoors. This could result in an electric shock or become a fire hazard.
• Use as short an extension cord as possible.
• Do not use multiple extension cords.
• Make sure that when in operation, the extension cord plug and heater cord plug connections are free and clear of water. This could cause an electric shock or fire.
• Make sure your vehicle is parked in a clean area, clear of combustibles.
• Make sure the heater, heater cord and extension cord are firmly connected.
• Check for heat anywhere in the electrical hookup once the system has been operating for approximately 30 minutes.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo.../14204om2e.pdf

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 Ford Escape, 2.0 Titanium, 4WD, Frosted Glass - build date 4/16/13
2003 Subaru Forester
1999 Subaru Forester
and more
post #3 of 39 Old 11-20-2013, 04:33 PM

Garage
Thankfully here in NYC all I need is the remote start but for you make sure you use the proper equipment to not cause a fire. I believe the cord is so short because they want the connection to the extension cord protected from most of the elements
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 Old 11-20-2013, 05:10 PM

Garage
Don't have one so I can't reply other than to ask...you mean to plug it in you have to open the hood? That would make no sense IMO.
post #5 of 39 Old 11-20-2013, 05:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basso View Post
Don't have one so I can't reply other than to ask...you mean to plug it in you have to open the hood? That would make no sense IMO.
No you run the plug through the grill usually but yes the hood needs to be open to connect everything. You just don't leave it open
post #6 of 39 Old 11-20-2013, 05:14 PM

Garage
post #7 of 39 Old 11-20-2013, 05:22 PM

Garage
I grew up in northern MN and am familiar with block heaters and oil pan heaters, but don't have one on my FE since I now live in the comparitively tropical Iowa. After the initial install of the heater, I've never had to open the hood to connect. I took the OP as saying that the connection wasn't long enough to route it through the grill, which would require opening the hood to connect every time. That was the clarification I was seeking.
socal_jayo likes this.
post #8 of 39 Old 12-09-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Scudder View Post
I'm having the same issue as Jon Scudder and I don't think anyone has answered his question yet. The instructions from the manual posted by Bjeans are of no help. The block heater cord, even when unclipped and pulled out as far as it will go, still looks too short to get through the grill-if you can figure out how to get it through the grill since the rad is enclosed pretty tightly. I haven't spent a whole bunch of time playing with it, but if I figure it out will post. Maybe Jon Scudder has a solution by now?
post #9 of 39 Old 12-09-2013, 10:42 AM
JMR

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northmin View Post
I'm having the same issue as Jon Scudder and I don't think anyone has answered his question yet. The instructions from the manual posted by Bjeans are of no help. The block heater cord, even when unclipped and pulled out as far as it will go, still looks too short to get through the grill
Isn't that why the manual says to use an extension cord?

2013 Sterling Gray Metallic Escape SEL 2.0L 4WD w/Equipment Group 302A, Panorama Roof, Ford OEM Cargo Area Protector, Ford OEM Splash Guards, WeatherTech All-Weather Floor Mats (front only), Ford OEM Center Console Tray, Aluminum Pedal Covers, Fitted LED DRLs
post #10 of 39 Old 12-09-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMR View Post
Isn't that why the manual says to use an extension cord?
You always use an extension cord but it usually plugs into the block heater cord on the outside of the grill. The block heater cord on my 2013 Escape seems too short to get it through the grill to plug into the extension cord. I suppose you could use two extension cords-a short one to get through the grill which would then plug into the longer one that plugs into an outlet, but I don't think that's what the manual is suggesting. It's probably something simple I'm too dumb to grasp at the moment, but in 45 years of using a block heater, I haven't had this problem before.

Tags
block heater

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page