7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 12-01-2013, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Talking Rear hatch not closing

Anybody else having problems with the rear lift gate not closing properly? Every time I open the back and press the button to close it it seems to close but when I start the engine I get a warning bell and message saying the lift gate is open. I have to hit the inside button to open it up again then close it to shut off the warning. Plan on calling dealer next week about it but wondered if anyone else had the same problem.
Stanley and Jim Reuss like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 12-01-2013, 06:02 PM

How is the alignment of your hatch in relation to the body? I ended up adjusting mine myself after giving the dealer two try's.

I have noticed if you are parked on an angle, you will get that message. Seems the degree of tilt of your vehicle doesn't need to be more than 10 degrees before that message pops up.

I have also seen instances of the cabin pressure being so sealed that you get that message. Folks say if they leave the door open or a window cracked it doesn't do it. Weird.

Ever since I adjusted my hatch it hasn't happened. This was this past summer.
Elf911 likes this.
post #3 of 32 Old 12-01-2013, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escapism View Post
I have noticed if you are parked on an angle, you will get that message. Seems the degree of tilt of your vehicle doesn't need to be more than 10 degrees before that message pops up.
Just discovered this during the holiday. Parked in the woods at a slight up angle with a left tilt and the rear hatch kept popping back open. Wouldn't even stay shut if you pushed on it while it was shutting. Really annoying and could be problematic in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 Old 12-02-2013, 06:21 AM Thread Starter

I was in a flat parking lot the first time it happened so can't blame the angle. Hopefully the dealer will figure it out.
Stanley likes this.
post #5 of 32 Old 12-02-2013, 11:48 AM
JMR

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbeansoh View Post
I was in a flat parking lot the first time it happened so can't blame the angle. Hopefully the dealer will figure it out.
The liftgate won't latch completely if you start the engine while the closing is in progress. This appears to be a standard phenomenon. If this isn't the source of your problem, then I agree it's an issue for the dealer.

2013 Sterling Gray Metallic Escape SEL 2.0L 4WD w/Equipment Group 302A, Panorama Roof, Ford OEM Cargo Area Protector, Ford OEM Splash Guards, WeatherTech All-Weather Floor Mats (front only), Ford OEM Center Console Tray, Aluminum Pedal Covers, Fitted LED DRLs
post #6 of 32 Old 12-02-2013, 02:50 PM

Garage
Well, not exactly my case, mine is manual but i have had this problem like 3 or 4 times. Figured out i need to kind of slam the door to make it secure fit. If i close it easy, the lock mechanism will engage with the door not completely shut, andI I needed to press the hatch button then Close it again.
post #7 of 32 Old 12-03-2013, 12:38 AM

I got in mine this morning and closed the door right as the hatch was latching. It didn't close. Sucker is air tight! Never had an issue otherwise.

Ducatisto

S4RS Tricolore #5 of 400
Moto Guzzi Breva 1100
'14 Escape Titanium
post #8 of 32 Old 12-06-2013, 12:04 PM

Having the same problem, just started happening in the cold weather. i have and appt Monday at the dealers.
post #9 of 32 Old 12-07-2013, 07:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to ndccpf1
I brought this to the attention of my dealer. They said "that is how it works". However I have sen other brands of vehicles whose owners start the vehicle after starting the closing process and it works fine

I now have to mentally "count" from pushing the rear hatch to getting in before I start the car.
Stanley likes this.

2013 2.0 Escape Titanium AWD
2006 VW GTI
Monmouth County, NJ
post #10 of 32 Old 12-08-2013, 06:38 PM

My auto hatch doesn't close on the first try in the below zero weather. I blame it on the rubber seal just being too hard with the colder weather. Nothing works as well in the winter.

2013 Titanium 4WD-Replaced with 2014 Lincoln MKX AWD

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page