2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

How to Enable "Global Open" on the 2013 Escape

94K views 128 replies 50 participants last post by  bikergeek 
#1 ·
Looks like Ford gave the 2013 Fusion (and Lincoln twin) the feature of "Global Open". This is the ability to open / close the sunroof and windows from the key fob. Have been doing this for years on my other VW / Audi cars.

In addition even Honda now has this on their cars too.

There must be a BCM (Body Control Module) setting that can be changed to enable this for us.

Any "super" Ford techs reading these posts and can comment ? I asked Ford dealer service and they said "ask sales".... Sales said :confused:

#3 ·
Looks like Ford gave the 2013 Fusion (and Lincoln twin) the feature of "Global Open".
What makes you say that? Is it described in the Fusion manual? Does it need to be set up, or does it just rely on a particular button sequence?

#6 ·
#7 ·
Correct..having been an owner of Honda / Audi and VW (still) I can see Ford's documentation is not as accurate as they are in materials. But that tells me it can be enabled on the Escape as the Fusion is really a twin of the Escape for most components.

#11 ·
It is a nice feature to have. Me personally I used it a lot in my previous hondas. But now that I have remote start with my escape, I just hit that 2 minutes before I get in my car and its much cooler inside the cabin.

#14 ·
I called Ford HQ Customer Relations line and they did not know what I was referring to. They said I had to go to the dealer for the answer. I told them I did and my selling dealer did not know either.

So I stopped a a SUPER dealer (large, lots of inventory, staff...) and they said "if Ford does not send the cars from the factory enabled, we can't change anything".

I contacted a friend in The Netherlands who was working here in NJ and then took his USA Ford Taurus back to Holland. Since the Kuga has Global Open standard I asked if he can talk to his local dealer people to see if they have some added information....

The saga continues.......

#18 ·
I have not given up and will continue to search and investigation. Ford's current answer was that Fusion and Escape share different parts (not 100% true). But Kuga is the Escape in Europe and that has Global Open standard so that is where the connection is to our Escape.

#25 ·
Im still looking around, but the only thing that I seem to come up with so far is the same method that I explained in earlier posting on how to reset the window to auto up/down. I can assure you doing that method did not give me global open via keyfob, I found an answer on a Kuga forum.

#26 ·
I swapped some wires and now when I remote start, all my windows roll down, and the cars radio starts playing Indigo Girls :(

ROFL

#28 ·
I have asked my Dutch friend to go to Ford NL to ask their techs in regards to the Kuga and what part of the BCM handles that function. Ford NJ said Fusion and Escape did not share BCMs but save for some minor differences, the Kuga and Escape are the same

#29 ·
I was a Chrysler tech for some time. I work at another major manufacturer now and teach other aspiring techs.

Often times when you enter the options inside the BCM programing you can check and uncheck different things to enable them or disable them. I do not have this information for the FE. But on another manufacturer for example it comes with a rain sensor installed from the factory. No model sold in the US has the auto rain sensor active. But ALL the cars have it. You can enter the BCM and enable it with the right equipment. Why? Marketing maybe? I highly expect this to be the case here. Getting a Ford tech to turn that on, if this is the case, might take a green handshake or something of that nature. The service adviser is going to tell you no every time for liability reasons.

I'm very interested in this topic also.

#30 · (Edited)
Found this thing called "FoCom" you can buy to program the BCM, amongst other things:

FoCOM: Professional Ford Diagnostic Software

Tangent: I used to own/tune VWs (Jetta 1.8T, R32) and there was a plug-in control module called VAG-COM (Volkswagen, Audi Group - not short for vagina, you dirty birds), and we had the ability to modify the BCM, etc. Although global open was already standard on VAG vehicles, we disabled DRLs (headlights back then) and seatbelt/open door chimes via the VAG-COM.

So I'm thinking this $379 FoCOM software is just that

#31 ·
Yep been doing VAG-COM (now called VCDS) for years. I did a 1 month subscription of the Ford Software (VCDS is one time cable fee). Not a big aftermarket for Ford programming so it appeared cryptic (read OLD style programming) compared to current device programming menus.

Did not find the right areas to change. Have not (will not) given up. For all us FE owners (2013+) you'll be removing your BCM physically (8 cables) from the passenger footwell area to change your cabin filter every 20K miles... Thank you Ford engineers... could you have just put it behind the glove box or under like 90% of today's vehicles :mad:

#32 ·
Not sure if this information is the same for our Escapes, but this just popped up on the Ford Online Automotive Service Information System relating to enabling/disabling global open on the Ford CMax vehicles. Looks like you would need the Ford IDS programming tool and software to make the change. You might be able to find a cool service shop who can check into this for you.

Some customers may not want the Global Open Feature; which enables them to open all the vehicle windows by pressing and holding "unlock" button on the RKE transmitter. Global Open can be disabled using the IDS tool(version 88.01). Using IDS select Tool Box / Module Programming / Programmable Parameters / Car Configuration Parameter(s). Select Vehicle Configuration, Select Retrieve the Vehicle Configuration Data, Select Modify and Reinstate Vehicle Configuration Data, Select Global Open/Close, Select Global Open/Close Disabled.

#47 ·
I know I'm digging up bones, but has anyone with a 2014 job2 (built late December or after) tried to get their dealer to turn this feature on with IDS? Theirs a rumor all 2014s have this capability it just needs to be activated.
Mark

#34 · (Edited)
#36 ·
Drew Technologies : Introduction

I bought this cable and a the 1 month subscription to the below service:
https://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/retail/default.aspx

Menus / screens were cumbersome and cryptic compared to the VAG-COM software tool. But your post gives the exact description to what is needed. I will now start a "relationship" process with my dealer's mechanic to see if this can apply to the Escapes.
Awesome! Good luck and please let us know how it goes as this would be a really neat feature to enable (if possible) for use in the warmer months.
Yes, and since you are in NJ and I'm in VA, a green handshake may be in order! :D:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.