4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 01-02-2017, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Exclamation Rain sensing wiper problems

I have a 2013 Titanium 2 liter awd with rain sensing wipers 60,700 miles. has all the bells and whistles. over $37,000 new.
this morning the wipers came on and I could not shut them off! it was not raining or misting!
moved the stalk all the way up and back down to turn off!! they would not turn off!
Turned off the car. now the front windshield wipers will not come on!
I have a $300.00 Actron 9680 Scanner Obd 2. No codes!
Disconnected both battery cables for over 1/2 hour.
Windshield washers front and rear work. rear wiper works!
I still can't turn windshield wipers on!!
Bad wiper switch? bad wiper motor? This looks like a recall to me! this is a major safety concern that should not happen at less than 61,000 miles!
BCM software update?
I am at a loss ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 01-02-2017, 10:44 PM

I had issues specifically with the rain sensing wipers - sometimes they worked and other times they did not. They initially replaced a specific component related to the rain sensor, but that did not fix it. They had to replace the BCM.

Your issue seems more complex than mine. Good luck!

2014 Escape Titanium 2.0l, AWD, 401A, Pano, navigation; built 6/23/14 in Sunset with black interior. Aries 3D front/rear mats, AVS hood shield, carbon fiber vinyl wrapped rear lower panel, painted engine cover by Carsonfire45 and NuShield 8" DayVue MFT screen protector
post #3 of 23 Old 01-04-2017, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Walnut Creek Ford has called Detroit, they still can't figure it out!
Dearborn called back with other tests to replicate the issue!
they now have fault codes!
I was told there is a short in the wiring harness !
When your windshield wipers won't turn on this is a safety recall!!!
If Ford Motor Company doesn't cover this, I will turn it over to NHTSA!!
This is a recall if I ever saw one!! windshield wipers always have to work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 01-06-2017, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Dealer got back to me today with answers from Ford motor Company Tech support.
Bad Battery monitoring sensor and or bad BCM!!
Either way Ford is on the hook for this one!!
Windshield wipers not working is a safety recall.
I have reported this to NHTSA!
post #5 of 23 Old 01-11-2017, 03:13 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I think I have figured this out!
the "battery management system" is the fault!
the battery sensor is on the negative battery cable! this sensor talks to the BCM.
this is the 4th revised part number!! (AVZ6Z10C679M)
the 1st ended in C /2nd ended in D/ 3rd ended in E/ 4th ended in M!!! most current
The part number has changed or been revised 4 times!! what does this tell you??
this should be a recall!!!!! Ford won't cover it! I am out of warranty!
Ford is trying the hide the Pee!!
The BCM part number has not changed!
Ford dealer wants $300.00 to change it!
I will do it myself. $41.00!! You have to remove the Battery to get to the negative cable on the post.
I believe Ford is setting themselves up for a recall!!
post #6 of 23 Old 01-11-2017, 01:11 PM

Interesting that the BMS sensor would affect only the wiper function in the BCM - hope your replacement solves the problem, look forward to the follow-up.

Minor detail for those following, the BMS sensor (negative batt cable) PN is AV6Z-10C679-M - there's an extra "Z" in the mention of that number in the previous post (long numbers - it happens, no worries ;-).

I am curious to understand how the timing of this wiper control problem relates to the timing of Software Updates ? From post-dates it seems like the software updates were done after the wiper problem in this thread came-up, but apparently they didn't fix that problem, is that correct or do I have that wrong? Just trying to learn what we can from your shared experience - Thanks!

'14 Escape SE 2.0 FWD (25 Sep 13 build); 201A SE Convenience Package; Power Liftgate; Leather Comfort Package; Oxford White on Med Light Stone Leather (SYNC 2 w/8" MFT screen)
I love my hard-working '05 F-150 XLT 5.4 V8 trailer-towing truck, too !

Help us help you - what is your year, engine, drivetrain, trim and SYNC version?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 23 Old 01-17-2017, 02:36 AM Thread Starter

Garage
While my car was at the dealer I asked them to update the BCM and all updateable modules!
I bought the new battery "management system cable" with the most current sensor. Same as the Focus. I read where under charging causes corrosion on the negative terminal!!
part number AV6Z-10C679-M software version 2.61
bad one was sofware version 2.3
I removed wipers and the cowl to get at the battery.
When I removed the front and rear battery covers, I could not believe what I saw!!!!
The negative post and connector was covered with the most corrosion I have ever seen!!
I soaked the connector in warm water with baking soda, it bubbled and bubbled for ever!! like a volcano!!!!
I did this 3 times with new baking soda!
there is a 2 prong connector that goes to the BCM!
The battery acid corrosion had eaten a hole thru the bottom of the female connector!
used a tiny flat head screwdriver to remove all the debris. I finally got the male out. the acid partially dissolved the male connector which is part of the wiring harness!! they don't offer a replacement connector???
soaked male connector in warm water and baking soda. bubbled for a long time!!!! also used a safety pin to clean out the tiny holes. Sprayed male contacts with Radio shack electrical contact cleaner.put dielectric in female. I sprayed the post and the entire connector assembly with the red battery terminal protector!!
The positive post had no buildup! If this doesn't work I will have to go to a Pick N' Pull in Sacramento where they have a 2014 and cut off the male and splice. 80 miles from home.
I now strongly believe most of the electrical issues are caused by the "Battery Management System Sensor" not the BCM!!
The BMS is causing the BCM to go haywire!!
I do have pictures!! you won't believe !!!!!!!!!!!!
post #8 of 23 Old 01-17-2017, 04:09 AM Thread Starter

Garage
More Modules Than You Can Shake A Stick At | KnowYourParts

Windshield wipers are a Bcm function problem
which is caused by a bad BSM sensor!
post #9 of 23 Old 01-17-2017, 08:56 AM

Just FYI:

The windshield wiper functions are controlled by logic circuits in the BCM and within the wiper motor assemblies themselves.

The white lead from the BMS sensor splits at "wye" junction S138 in the fat harness bundle that runs across the engine compartment behind the cowl.

From that S138 "wye" one lead goes to the BCM, the other goes direct to the driver side windshield wiper motor assembly.

That wiper motor contains part of the wiper control logic for the wipers on both sides (the white/orange striped wire that runs between the two wiper motors is a control logic communications wire).

Yes, it sounds like the corrosion damaged connector/white wire could well be the problem, good find.

When you get it all back together with good wire, IF there's still a problem with the wiper operation this might be of interest Wiper motor initialization procedure and Wiper motor initialization using FoCCCus software. That procedure applies to both new wiper motor installation and any situation where the wiper alignment/synchronization has been disturbed or 'forgotten'.

>>>>>>>>>>

Regarding the bad corrosion, curious if you see indication battery case damage at the negative post (e.g. leakage at the seal where the post penetrates the battery case)?

Given your observations I'll be shining a bright light on my buried negative post to take a look ... and obviously if there's signs of corrosion then pulling the cowl to do a cleanup and add a protective coating of grease to the terminals/connectors. Thanks for sharing.

PS - if you can share the links you read with info about the different BMS sensor software versions it'd be appreciated - I don't doubt what you're reporting, and I do see the evolution of the BMS part numbers you pointed-out, just would like to read-up on that some more - thanks.

'14 Escape SE 2.0 FWD (25 Sep 13 build); 201A SE Convenience Package; Power Liftgate; Leather Comfort Package; Oxford White on Med Light Stone Leather (SYNC 2 w/8" MFT screen)
I love my hard-working '05 F-150 XLT 5.4 V8 trailer-towing truck, too !

Help us help you - what is your year, engine, drivetrain, trim and SYNC version?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 23 Old 01-17-2017, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
It is impossible to see the negative terminal without removing the cowl!
there are 2 battery covers. removing the back cover gives you access to the negative cable.
this is a terrible place to put a battery!!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page