1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 10-02-2016, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Gas Mileage; getting worse by the tank.

I've had the 16 with 2.0L for almost 3 months now. Approx. 4000KM on it and it has towed a 2100lbs trailer for 1200KM of that mentioned. At first, the gas mileage was what I expected, about 10 to 11L per 100KM. However, very gradually the mileage has risen to 15.3L per 100KM in the city. This is worse than the 14 Edge Ltd 3.5L V6 (was getting 13.8L/100KM) I traded this Escape for. Same driving conditions, nothing has changed but the car.

It is going in for a diagnostic tomorrow and an early oil change. I usually do the first on in half the time specified just to get the initial crud out.

Has anyone experienced this with the 2.0L EB?

-

Ingot Silver 2015 EDGE SEL 3.5L AWD, Towing Pack +
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-02-2016, 06:35 PM

Garage
My average fuel consumption has been 9.6l/100km over a distance of 12000 km. Most of the driving is highway and I have not done any towing.

2016 Escape Titanium, 2.0l, 4WD, Shadow Black
Build date 2015-11-30
Mississippi Mills, ON
Vive le Canada,
The True North Strong and Free.
post #3 of 13 Old 10-02-2016, 07:05 PM

Garage
I average 22 miles per gallon 58,000 miles
2013 2 liter AWD Titanium
I run the car pretty hard.
Freeway driving 75>80 miles per hr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 10-02-2016, 07:32 PM

Garage
I average 27/28 MPG in my 14 Titanium. I travel in the city and freeway throughout my travels and I don't abuse the gas pedal.

2014 TITANIUM 4WD ESCAPE
2.0L I4 GTDI - ECOBOOST ENG
SUNSET METALLIC
MEDIUM LIGHT STONE FULL LEATHER BUCKET SEATS
TITANIUM TECHNOLOGY PACKAGE
POWER PANORAMA ROOF
NAVIGATION SYSTEM
19" ALLOY LUSTER NICKEL WHEEL
post #5 of 13 Old 10-02-2016, 08:51 PM

4000km / 2400miles - that's what, about 9-12 'fillups'? Not much yet and of course comparing tank-to-tank mileage is very problematic given fillup level variations, and trip variables.

We'll assume you're using fillup data to arrive at mileages, not the 'car computer' (my per-fillup data since new spreadsheet shows the car avg mileage per tank display has erred from -5% to +11% compared to calculated mileage over 128 fillups). The point being, it's very hard to draw sensible conclusions about mileage looking at per-tank data .... long-term trends are much more valid/useful, and 4000km is on the fringe of a useful data set for that IMHO). In your case, if you continue to have a mix of significant towing (1/3 is that) mixed in with your non-towing miles, it'll be very hard to ever draw any meaningful conclusions about 'potential problems' using mileage as an indicator.

A thought specific to your situation based on info in this and other posts ... considering that 1/3 of your 'miles' is with your two pop-up trailers and a family of four is a fair amount of extra load/drag when towing .... not saying that's a problem but it may well have caused your car's adaptive learning strategy (shift strategy, etc.) to be 'hunting' a bit and that could affect the mileage during, between and after towing trips. That could certainly affect mileage even after towing trips are done, it takes the strategy awhile to adapt to changed situations.

If you want to experiment with that, the 'learned strategy' is in volatile RAM and can be cleared to baseline by disconnecting your negative battery cable at the charging post and leaving it off for a few (10+/-) minutes. Note that you'll 'lose' phone-parings and maybe one-tough window limits and some stored NAV data if you do that, so those things will need to be re-established. The car will then re-learn the strategy based on driving after the 'purge', and will again continue to 'adapt' over time both with and without the trailer load.

We also note that your 'new' trailer is a bit heavier and wider than the 'old' one, and all those little factors add-up.

I recall reading that perhaps you were changing fuel along the way, too (neat that you have some high-octane/low ethanol choices in BC that we don't have in TX) ... if you've been 'shopping' fuel for economy/power reasons or whatever, that can affect the mileage too, of course. If you're like me you don't always find your 'preferred fuel' when travelling, and that likely has some affect on mileage.

Bottom line, IMHO there's no basis for thinking there's anything 'wrong' with your car, barring any other indication of a problem. IMHO you're just getting the mileage that your driving dictates the engine can deliver based on the power demands you place on it. Keep driving and enjoy your Escape and trailer!

'14 Escape SE 2.0 FWD (25 Sep 13 build); 201A SE Convenience Package; Power Liftgate; Leather Comfort Package; Oxford White on Med Light Stone Leather (SYNC 2 w/8" MFT screen)
I love my hard-working '05 F-150 XLT 5.4 V8 trailer-towing truck, too !

Help us help you - what is your year, engine, drivetrain, trim and SYNC version?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 Old 10-03-2016, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by centex View Post
4000km / 2400miles - that's what, about 9-12 'fillups'? Not much yet and of course comparing tank-to-tank mileage is very problematic given fillup level variations, and trip variables.

We'll assume you're using fillup data to arrive at mileages, not the 'car computer' (my per-fillup data since new spreadsheet shows the car avg mileage per tank display has erred from -5% to +11% compared to calculated mileage over 128 fillups). The point being, it's very hard to draw sensible conclusions about mileage looking at per-tank data .... long-term trends are much more valid/useful, and 4000km is on the fringe of a useful data set for that IMHO). In your case, if you continue to have a mix of significant towing (1/3 is that) mixed in with your non-towing miles, it'll be very hard to ever draw any meaningful conclusions about 'potential problems' using mileage as an indicator.

A thought specific to your situation based on info in this and other posts ... considering that 1/3 of your 'miles' is with your two pop-up trailers and a family of four is a fair amount of extra load/drag when towing .... not saying that's a problem but it may well have caused your car's adaptive learning strategy (shift strategy, etc.) to be 'hunting' a bit and that could affect the mileage during, between and after towing trips. That could certainly affect mileage even after towing trips are done, it takes the strategy awhile to adapt to changed situations.

If you want to experiment with that, the 'learned strategy' is in volatile RAM and can be cleared to baseline by disconnecting your negative battery cable at the charging post and leaving it off for a few (10+/-) minutes. Note that you'll 'lose' phone-parings and maybe one-tough window limits and some stored NAV data if you do that, so those things will need to be re-established. The car will then re-learn the strategy based on driving after the 'purge', and will again continue to 'adapt' over time both with and without the trailer load.

We also note that your 'new' trailer is a bit heavier and wider than the 'old' one, and all those little factors add-up.

I recall reading that perhaps you were changing fuel along the way, too (neat that you have some high-octane/low ethanol choices in BC that we don't have in TX) ... if you've been 'shopping' fuel for economy/power reasons or whatever, that can affect the mileage too, of course. If you're like me you don't always find your 'preferred fuel' when travelling, and that likely has some affect on mileage.

Bottom line, IMHO there's no basis for thinking there's anything 'wrong' with your car, barring any other indication of a problem. IMHO you're just getting the mileage that your driving dictates the engine can deliver based on the power demands you place on it. Keep driving and enjoy your Escape and trailer!
Thanks for the reply Centex.

It may seem like I'm towing a lot however, we bought the Escape in peak camping season. We have 1 more trip that is about 200-300KM total this coming weekend then that might be it until next year. On that note when towing I was in S mode 95% of the time (I did the same on the Edge when towing). I got 11.2L/100KM on a 1200KM trip through the Canadian Rockies. A very similar trip with the Edge done earlier this year was 11.8L/100KM.

I'm mostly comparing the city mileage to what I got in my previous 14 Edge. I only had 16,000KM on it when I traded it in this past July. The Edge has the same sized gas tank as the Escape. The Escape is also approx. 800lbs lighter. My work route and weekly routine has not changed. There are random drives here and there as well which were done in both vehicles. I got about 470KM per tank (quarter mark in the Edge's gauge). Being very self-aware while driving (babying the pedal) as of now I'm getting 330KM with the Escape which is very poor mileage and completely unacceptable.

Getting it looked at in a couple of hours. If they find the issue, great.

post #7 of 13 Old 10-03-2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajuett View Post
...Getting it looked at in a couple of hours. If they find the issue, great.
Look forward to reading your follow-up on that.

OOOPS, I edited to add the following while you were posting your follow-up, sorry about that!

I am curious ... do you track your mileage with a spreadsheet using pump gallons/odometer readings, etc or are you working off the car's computer display data?

Just FYI I use the following columns/calculations in an excel spreadsheet. I keep the notes on the fillup data on the gas receipt and stash 'em in the console then transfer the info to the spreadsheet when convenient. Done this for decades on all my cars/motorcycles and it does yield interesting data over the long term. It only takes a moment extra at the gas station, clearing the 'trip 2' data which is dedicated to reset at fillup becomes habit, and loading the spreadsheet is a quick exercise motivated by interest.

A) date
B) odo reading
C) gallons (from pump receipt)
D) price/gal
E) total price [=C x D]
F) miles between [=prior A - current A]
G) mpg this fillup [=F/C]
H) life mpg average [=(start odo reading - B)/sum of all C)]
I) notes (location, brand, octane of fillup; could be used to indicate towing or not)
J) display mpg (the 'tank average' from the IPC screen)
K) %error [=(J-G)/G]

'14 Escape SE 2.0 FWD (25 Sep 13 build); 201A SE Convenience Package; Power Liftgate; Leather Comfort Package; Oxford White on Med Light Stone Leather (SYNC 2 w/8" MFT screen)

Help us help you - what is your year, engine, drivetrain, trim and SYNC version?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 13 Old 10-03-2016, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by centex View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajuett View Post
...Getting it looked at in a couple of hours. If they find the issue, great.
Look forward to reading your follow-up on that.
At the dealership now. Service Manager recommends that I use 1 brand of 87 octane and log all mileage for the next 4000-6000KM. If mileage stays the same or gets worse they will take the issue to Ford Canada.

Centex is right about the Escape needing more break-in time. I just have never experienced this type of fuel issue in a new car before. This is however my first vehicle with a turbo.

Hope things improve in the next little while. Really like the Escape!
post #9 of 13 Old 10-03-2016, 01:39 PM

Lol, sorry timing, please see my late edit above.

The recommendation to use 87 octane consistently is interesting considering your towing in mountainous regions. What fuel(s) have you been using in the Escape?

FWIW, some stats in my case ....

I've always run Chevron/Texaco (tier 1) fuel and in my region that means "up to 10% ethanol blend" (obviously some limited exceptions on trips when that brand wasn't convenient). I don't tow and my cargo/passenger load varies minimally. I live in a rural area and most of my driving is much more "highway" than "city".

From 12 miles (19 km) to 8261 miles (13,295) I ran only 87 octane; My avg mileage for that time was 23.5 mpg (10.01 L/100km)

From 8261 (13,295) to 35,831 miles (57,664 km) I've run 93 octane; My avg mileage for that time is 24.4 mpg (9.64 L/100km)

The octane change for me was a matter of curiosity about effect on performance. IMHO the difference for my driving was/is significant and I've no desire to go back to 87, but that's a wholly personal preference. Clearly there's no 'economic payback' with the higher octane in my particular case, I'm paying a bit more for the performance boost and gladly accept that trade-off (it's the only 'performance mod' I'll do since it is the only one that's strictly compliant with my warranty/extended warranty ;-).

Not that any of my data should translate to you as I'm sure you understand ... just thought it might be of interest to see.

I never said anything about 'break in' ... my comments about long-term data were only in the context of getting meaningful numbers of data points to draw trend conclusions.

Re: "break in" ... It's hard for me to discern a 'break-in' benefit from my data (it's complicated by the octane change no doubt). When I plot the data there's a very slight 'shelf' in the time following the octane change, but essentially the mileage is flat within both periods. My 'gut' tells me that break-in effects with the Escape have been very minimal; IMHO other factors are more significant insofar as mileage (fuel, driving habits, vehicle load, towing drag, terrain, etc, etc). IMHO turbo/non-turbo has little to do with break-in, it has more to do with engine/drivetrain bearing/friction surface 'seating' but with modern metallurgy and oils I think break-in effects are largely a thing of the past insofar as meaningful mileage improvements.
KegerChris likes this.

post #10 of 13 Old 10-03-2016, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Centex, thanks again for your thorough replies.

I used different grades of fuel to see if there is change of any type since purchase. The 3 I have tried so far are Chevron 87 and 91 (up to 10% Ethanol), Shell 91 (no Ethanol). Shell 91 gave me a bit more mileage, just enough to offset the cost. Chervon 91 was the worst and most recent fill-up.

The dealership just wants me to keep the fuel grade and brand consistent from this point on. Mainly for the next few thousand KMs to rule out anything related to the fuel grade. I'll being towing one more time this year, about 200KM total through a hilly/winding area. The rest will be mostly city and some highway throughout the Winter. Going into camping withdrawal soon! :/

As suggested I will keep a detailed log just in case the issues do not improve. Here is to hoping they do!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page