2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

2017 2.0 l Mileage

20K views 36 replies 25 participants last post by  Idokphs 
#1 ·
Just took my first extended trip. Had been getting around 21-22 with mostly city driving. Was a little miffed that I thought I was only getting around the same on the highway before I realized you - for reasons unknown, you have to reset each trip meter (mileage, timer, mpg) individually. After I reset it mid highway, driving on I-95 (relatively flat) I was able to pull in about 29.5 mpg. I likely could have broken 30 but used ACC for much of the drive which tends to brake/accelerated harder at times than a human driver likely would. Overall happy.

*EDIT* was gonna add to title it's a FWD but couldn't for some reason

#2 ·
At ~29 MPG, how fast were you driving on the highway? I'm getting about 23.5 around town during the winter months (expect a little better in the summer). I don't know when I'll be doing a long stretch of highway driving... but am curious as to what kind of fuel mileage I'll get driving right at 65 MPH.

#3 ·
I was going between 70-80 mpg for the bulk of that drive. Oh and of course wasn't using S mode. 23 mainly city is probably about right. You should be right up in same area as me on highway.

#7 ·
Not that it would make a huge difference alone, but a lot of factors add up quick. Can you answer theses questions?

1. What octane fuel are you using?
2. How far is your normal commute?
3. Is there a lot of stop and go on your driving?
4. What is the temperature?
5. Are you heavy footed?

While all these alone may not affect the outcome too much, a couple of them together could have an effect.

This post has been deleted
#8 ·
I have taken my 2017 2.0 to dealer twice, only getting 18mpg in the city.. they confirmed that and said it was within specifications. That's not what it said on the sticker, I don't know what to do, I didn't buy a 4 cylinder to get this kind of mileage.. any suggestions out there??
I am guessing that maybe, like, me, you might be retired and be putting VERY FEW miles on the car??? Also, do you spend time in your city driving sitting at stoplights?? Do you have the auto start/stop? My mileage has suffered greatly as I put very few miles on the car and relatively speaking it really is stop and go. I have had my 2016 Escape for about a year and have 4,700 miles. I am getting about 20 actual miles to the gallon (not using the Ford dash system but using actual fuel volume and miles.

Does this sound like you? If so that could be the reason. If not,.....?

#9 ·
On the older 2.0 if I use regular gas I get 19.. if I use no ethanol premium I get 20mpg with no start/stop..

#10 ·
Driving style is easily the most important factor on fuel economy. Think about it...every second the engine idles you're getting 0 MPG. Cylinder count, engine size, and the type of vehicle all matter, but all vehicles are capable of extremely poor fuel economy under the right conditions. Frequent short trips that prevent the engine from warming up, lots of stop-and-go, and excessive idling all contribute.

Every time you hit the brake pedal, you're converting kinetic energy bought and paid for with your gas dollars into wasted heat into the atmosphere. Hybrids have a way around this because they can recover energy and put it back into the battery, but there's only so much you can do with a conventional powertrain.

Lots of people over the years have posted about taking their car to the dealer for poor fuel economy, and I can't think of a single case where something was ever found to be wrong. Operating conditions are almost everything when it comes to fuel economy. It's not the car's fault.

#13 ·
Thanks for all the answers, what a great forum! I do drive very little as I work from home, but recently had my husband drive to work, he is 24 miles round trip 85% freeway. It did go up to 20MPG when we did that. I have tried to be really careful lately when I drive to see if I could improve the mileage and it got me to 19MPG. I am in Minneapolis, but it hasn't been a very cold winter and not a lot of snow, but maybe spring/summer will improve. Would you recommend leaving that engine shut off on or off? Should I use gas with no ethanol? There is some kind of switch on the steering wheel to do with a gear shift I think, but I don't mess with that. Thanks again for the feedback, I am very glad I found this forum!!

#15 ·
Cold weather has a huge impact. I live about 45 miles north of you, and I've seen a ~5 MPG difference with temperature alone. This morning it was 15° out, and I got about 17 MPG on my 6-mile commute to work. Warmer mornings in the 40's and I get about 21. Internal combustion engines are much less efficient when cold, and it takes time for that 350-lb hunk of metal to warm up.

#14 ·
Just for comparison, I have a brand new '17 MKC with AWD and the 2.3 L engine. I filled it at 250 miles and got just over 20mpg. That's with varied speeds and conditions. My '14 Titanium 2.0 AWD would get about 23 in the city, and just under 30 at 65-70mph.

#16 ·
Mpg

I've owned my Escape for two months. I'm a little disappointed in the mileage. I'm only getting a little over 17 MPG. For a little sewing machine engine I expected more than that. I only drive around town and usually no more than 5 or 6 miles at a time. But still, 17? I'm just sayen'.

#17 ·
#18 ·
4 mile trips, cold weather and winter gas formulations are going to hurt mileage as has been said above. For you infrequent drivers its worth walking around the car after drive and feeling all the wheels near the brake rotors, a dragging brake is hard to notice any other way.

This is a good habit to get into in any case, to notice sidewall damage ect.

The wheels should feel the same temp at all 4 corners. A hot one, or two could indicate a stuck caliper. You could feel the rotors too but they may be too hot for your fingers. The really anal among us would use an infred temp gauge but that's overkill....but a good excuse to buy one.

#21 ·
I’m also thinking (and scratching my noggin) the same thing [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#23 ·
...I have a 2014 and don't get that fuel economy AND the dealer said it was in specs so the sticker means nothing. Don't know how they can legally use the term"Eco" on these vehicles.

#24 ·
There seems to be a large variance in fuel economy with the Twin-scroll 2.0 EcoBoost. My fuelly numbers show 18.6 overall which is on the lower end of the scale and reflects a lot of the local driving we do. It would be nice to at least be in the low 20s.

Took a 125 mile mostly highway trip at 65 mph and was able to hit 28.6 hand calculated (lie-o-meter said 30.3). That's not too bad.

My wife has driven it the past month with a good mixture of highway and local and has ranged from 22.7 to 25.3, which seems to be right on the mark of where it should be.

#25 ·
Just took another highway trip 250 miles from start of turnpike...reset trip meter after ticket...Weather clear, no wind, temps mid 60's, tires at 36 psi cold, A/C off, windows up....Keeping speed between 60-65 MPH....NO stops or slow ups for over 100miles...MPG's topped off and held at 37.8...later with A/C on,, dropped to 36.7 MPG's....Had full tank of Reg. Shell and BP mixed when started....Return trip, couldn't test , stop and go and stuck in traffic jambs...I think at 50-55 MPH I think I could of hit 40 MPG's...Have just over 3k miles on vehicle......2.0 ...FWD

#26 ·
Wow, that's really good! My AWD '14 would be capable of close to that, but I honestly never tried at those speeds. There's definitely a penalty with the spinning rear driveline, so a FWD model will always do just a bit better.

Good info, I'm curious to see how repeatable this is.

#27 ·
A recent trip from Cincinnati to Shinning Rock Wilderness Area, 360mi each way with 3 guys total and backpacks got me ~26mpg running 70-80 with an occasional blast up to 95 (just 'cause I can). This calc. is by hand, though my trip meters were only about 1 mpg higher. This is on regular.

My first real trip in the car, very happy with the luxurious power, quiet and comfort.

#28 ·
2017 Titanium 2.0 AWD

I wont restate what's already said, I'm just throwing my stats into the discussion.
I live in Alexandria, VA. The stop and go here is beyond belief. This vehicle even with its stop/start does not do well in fuel efficiency in this traffic. I average 16-19 mpg. I'm not that light or heavy footed, but somewhere in the middle. What you have to take into account is that a turbo based engine is only going to conserve fuel as long as its not being over utilized. If I'm really light footed, I get 20-21mpg in city, but then I nearly get run over by everyone.
The highway mileage is where this vehicle performs. As my title states, this is the 2.0 engine. On a clear day with no headwind, with all my trip meter states reset, running 93octane, (no towing), and running AC, I have pulled 30mpg out of the Escape using the full take of gas (meaning this wasn't a short trip stat total). The average is more 26-29mpg regular driving and road conditions, but I did take a trip with some hills at 70mph and pulled 30mpg. This is not common, I'm just saying it's doable if you don't crowd the turbo. Once you get a medium to heavy foot, well, its fun to feel that responsive turbo power kick in, but say goodbye to Mr. Fuel Economy.

#29 ·
With my 2017 2.0l I generally get 24.5 in winter (Mixed driving) Right now I am at 31.0 MPG mostly because I drive flat back roads (55MPH or less) and I use CC often. Very little ACC
I'm reading the averages. They are a more accurate average if one doesn't reset them and I only do that two times a year.
With my wife's 2017 1.5L we got 31.5 MPG driving from Ohio to Buxton, N.C. last fall.

#30 ·
3 years ago i took my 1.6 from central jersey to columbus, ohio. Used CC at 68mph as much as possible. Manually calculated the round trip and got 32.5 MPG.

End of this month we do it again with my wifes 2.0.
Will let you know how it does.

#34 ·
I've also been dismayed with the fuel economy. I've started tracking milage per fill-up, thinking maybe the computer was off.

My absolute best trip so far was last weekend, roughly 600 miles total, with less than 10 miles of that being City/rural driving. I maintained 70mph (a real nightmare in 80mph speed limit freeway settings) and kept off the throttle through the trip, all over flat ground. I did show 25.7 indicated, though my calculated mileage was far less, at 24.1. in the city (rural actually, my town doesn't even have a stop light) I'm getting around 19-20, which is right where my F150 way at with the 3.5 Ecoboost. Ford really over estimated on the economy with these escapes.
My lifetime mileage at roughly 9,600 on the odo is just a shade under 21mpg, but I suspect if I lived anywhere near a place that had anything remotely resembling traffic, stop lights, or more than 3 stop signs, I'd be a few lower than that.

#33 ·
FYI
Just did a 650mi trip from Cincinnati to Cranberry Wilderness Area near Marlinton WV. This was nearly all on 60-70mph speed limit roads with me keeping to 4-6mph over the limit. Averaged 28 mpg and the computer called it 29-29.5mpg which as been a typical error.

Like KY Born says, the mileage at 55-60ish can be much higher...at least per the computer, but those aren't really safe in 70mph traffic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.