2Likes
  • 1 Post By netflixer
  • 1 Post By netflixer

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 12-02-2012, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to ndccpf1
Remove Glovebox to change lamp ?

Want to add a W5W LED as the glove box light. No space for fingers / tools to remove old and re-insert new. Appears the shell of the glove box needs to be removed to gain access ?

Any ideas ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-11-2012, 05:19 PM

there aren't any manuals on how to remove any of the interior panels and parts but you can try sticking an interior pry tool in their and gently separate the parts trying to find a clip. But before you do any of this just confirm there aren't any screws to be removed.

if you don't feel comfortable doing that maybe you can take it to a car audio/video shop that can do it.
post #3 of 10 Old 12-11-2012, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

I have done many a Honda / Nissan / Toyota glovebox over the years. There are two screws in the upper portion of interior. I have a loaner Escape and will try on that one. My 2013 (week old) is already in the shop ! Needs new front McPherson assembly.

I figured out the puddle lamp removal and the rear hatch light too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 12-24-2012, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

To remove the glovebox there are two Torx screws just inside on top. On botton under base of glovebox door (external) are two 8mm bolts. Once those 4 are out, the whole glovebox assembly pulls forward off of the clips behind.

The glovebox lamp assembly is VERY fragile. It separated on my and I had to carefully re-assemble the spring and the small parts. The LED is TOO big so I had to go with hyper-white W5W incandescent style.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-09-2013, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndccpf1 View Post
The glovebox lamp assembly is VERY fragile. It separated on my and I had to carefully re-assemble the spring and the small parts. The LED is TOO big so I had to go with hyper-white W5W incandescent style.
Thanks for the info. Looks like I will stay with the factory incandescent.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-10-2013, 05:54 AM

What you can do is instead of getting a single die LED get the ones that are a panel with a connector. You can connect the wire there and 3M tack the panel on the top somewhere. Lots of light in the glove box!
post #7 of 10 Old 10-03-2016, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndccpf1 View Post
To remove the glovebox there are two Torx screws just inside on top. On botton under base of glovebox door (external) are two 8mm bolts. Once those 4 are out, the whole glovebox assembly pulls forward off of the clips behind.

Thanks ndccpf1 for posting this, your experience helped me to remove my glovebox in order to improve the lighting. I will add that I needed a T-10 Torx bit to remove the 2 screws in the upper outside sections of the glove box. I then had to remove the two press-pins under the glove box in order to remove the carpeted covering in order to get to one of the 8mm bolts underneath the glove box closest to the shifter.

I went a bit overboard with my upgrade and used two 15-strip led panels, one at the top in the front section and one at the very rear of the upper half of the glove box. Using a 7/32" drill bit I was able to make a small enough hole to feed the wires through for each LED strip and wire them up over the top of the glove box housing and into the 194 adapter.

I also had to use some dykes (diaganol cutters) to remove the plastic tabs that held the factory bulb in place in order to fit the 194 Y-adapter I used to wire up the two led strips.

The results are outstanding! Opening the glovebox now sends out tons of light and lights up the entire upper shelf. I purposely left the lower shelf without light as I have a particular need for no light there, however the option is always available to add a light there if need be.

Time to do the same for the engine bay!

Here's my after picture:

ndccpf1 likes this.
post #8 of 10 Old 10-03-2016, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netflixer View Post
Thanks ndccpf1 for posting this, your experience helped me to remove my glovebox in order to improve the lighting. I will add that I needed a T-10 Torx bit to remove the 2 screws in the upper outside sections of the glove box. I then had to remove the two press-pins under the glove box in order to remove the carpeted covering in order to get to one of the 8mm bolts underneath the glove box closest to the shifter.

I went a bit overboard with my upgrade and used two 15-strip led panels, one at the top in the front section and one at the very rear of the upper half of the glove box. Using a 7/32" drill bit I was able to make a small enough hole to feed the wires through for each LED strip and wire them up over the top of the glove box housing and into the 194 adapter.

I also had to use some dykes (diaganol cutters) to remove the plastic tabs that held the factory bulb in place in order to fit the 194 Y-adapter I used to wire up the two led strips.

The results are outstanding! Opening the glovebox now sends out tons of light and lights up the entire upper shelf. I purposely left the lower shelf without light as I have a particular need for no light there, however the option is always available to add a light there if need be.

Time to do the same for the engine bay!

Here's my after picture:

Nice! I like the brightness.

Please post a new thread (or add on to another if already one) when you do the engine bay. I'm really interested in adding a light there (if it's not too difficult). A DIY would be awesome.

I'm still a little bummed about the weak light in the cargo area. I would like to upgrade that lighting as well. I think I saw a thread here somewhere about it, just not sure if they had a solution.

2017 Escape Titanium 2.0L 4WD - Ingot Silver
Navigation
Panoramic Vista Roof
Class II Trailer Tow Prep
Build Date: May 2016
post #9 of 10 Old 10-04-2016, 07:15 AM Thread Starter

Did the 194 Y-adapter come with your LED strips ?

2013 2.0 Escape Titanium AWD
2006 VW GTI
Monmouth County, NJ
post #10 of 10 Old 10-05-2016, 04:58 PM

Yes, sort of. I purchased the 15 light bar (15w 5K) from vleds.com and it gives you the option to add accessory parts. I chose 2 of the light bars, 1 194 base adapter, 1 6 inch cable extension, and 1 Y-cable adapter to run off of the 194 adapter. I needed the 6 inch extension to have enough cable length to run the second light bar to the back of the glove box, however this light bar was excessive and not necessarily needed. On vleds.com, the cables and base adapters are only $1.00 each, the light bars were $8.00 each. So it cost a little less than $30 w/shipping, but if I didn't use that second light bar in the rear of the glove box then it would've cost right around $20 total w/shipping. If you just use one light bar you won't need a Y-adapter to run off the 194 base.

Here's a few more picutures.

194 base adapter and Y-adapter ($1.00 each)

Top of glove box wire routing. I had to notch a few parts to keep the wiring flush and there were a few inches of excess slack in the wiring. Since it's all interior wiring, I just used some 3M Super 33+ vinyl tape to secure the wiring.

Here's where I stuck the light strips. Again, the rear light is overkill. Actually, just 1 15 bar light strip is overkill but whatever, glove box is bright now and I'm happy.

ndccpf1 likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page