1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 06-02-2013, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
JMR
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,640
Garage
Unspecific Ecoboost engine badges

Something that puzzles me is why the Ecoboost badging doesn't specify which engine is under the hood. There are "4WD" and standard versions, but no "1.6" or "2.0" badges. Usually, when the exact same model of car can have different engines, there's an external indicator -- "V6", "5.0," or the like.

This isn't a problem for those of us in this forum, but I foresee potential for confusion ahead when large numbers of the new Escapes enter the used car market. You can't identify the exact engine by the trim: 2013 SEs and SELs, and 2014 SEs and Titaniums, all can have either the 1.6L or the 2.0L. You can't tell by looking under the hood, unless you already know what the two engines look like, because the engine covers just say "Ecoboost." The cars' original stickers will be gone. When uninformed buyers meet unscrupulous sellers, I think this issue will be exploited.
VectorZ likes this.
JMR is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 30 Old 06-02-2013, 01:49 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Merica'
Posts: 32
well for those of us with the Titanium trim lines from 13' its only a 2.0T! And anyone worth a s hit can/should open the hood. and it says what the engine is. also the vin. I don't think this will be much of a big deal but it is true. why stop at the ecoboost, just call it a turbo!
pretty33 is offline  
post #3 of 30 Old 06-02-2013, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
JMR
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,640
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty33 View Post
well for those of us with the Titanium trim lines from 13' its only a 2.0T!
Sure, you know that, and we know that, but unfortunately, five years from now lots of used Escape buyers probably won't know it, at least not without doing some research. And not everyone does careful research; some people just eyeball what they're going to buy. I.e., they want a V6, so they look for a "V6" badge on the trunk. Or they ask the salesman, "Does this model have the V6?" "Does this Escape have the smaller Ecoboost or the bigger Ecoboost?"

Quote:
And anyone worth a s hit can/should open the hood. and it says what the engine is. also the vin. I don't think this will be much of a big deal but it is true. why stop at the ecoboost, just call it a turbo!
No, the engine doesn't say. It just says "Ecoboost." Very odd.

Yes, a smart buyer could look up the VIN, or look at the fine print on the emission control sticker under the hood (if the sticker is still there years later), but that buyer probably could distinguish the 1.6 from the 2.0 just by looking at the layout of the engines themselves. My concern, which I admit is largely hypothetical at this point, is for Joe Average, who will have no easy, instant way of knowing which engine is in there, because there's no big "1.6" or "2.0" badge to let him know. Joe Average probably will believe whatever the seller tells him.
JMR is offline  
post #4 of 30 Old 06-03-2013, 03:58 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 54
I am going to slap some 5.0 badges on mine. Then unload it in a couple of years at an inflated price. Winning!
big smith is offline  
post #5 of 30 Old 06-03-2013, 01:45 PM
Senior Member
 
mnlauzon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 966
Doesn't it state the engine size on the ownership? Or am I dreaming.
mnlauzon is offline  
post #6 of 30 Old 06-03-2013, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
JMR
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,640
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnlauzon View Post
Doesn't it state the engine size on the ownership?
I'm not sure what you mean by that, but it's not really my point. I haven't said it's impossible to find out which engine is in an unmarked Escape. Of course there are ways to look it up, even if you can't distinguish the engines on sight. But those sources don't explain the absence of the typical, "in your face" engine badging somewhere on the vehicle itself.
JMR is offline  
post #7 of 30 Old 06-03-2013, 03:59 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMR View Post

Yes, a smart buyer could look up the VIN, or look at the fine print on the emission control sticker under the hood (if the sticker is still there years later), but that buyer probably could distinguish the 1.6 from the 2.0 just by looking at the layout of the engines themselves. My concern, which I admit is largely hypothetical at this point, is for Joe Average, who will have no easy, instant way of knowing which engine is in there, because there's no big "1.6" or "2.0" badge to let him know. Joe Average probably will believe whatever the seller tells him.
I would assume any one who is serious about buying a used car would know the different trims, engine types, and models available for the car they are looking at. Everything is online after all.

Maybe I am too trusting on people having common sense?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Escapist is offline  
post #8 of 30 Old 06-03-2013, 05:09 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 239
I'm afraid common sense is a rare shrinking commodity any more.

2013 Titanium 4WD-Replaced with 2014 Lincoln MKX AWD
usedup is offline  
post #9 of 30 Old 06-03-2013, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
JMR
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,640
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escapist View Post
I would assume any one who is serious about buying a used car would know the different trims, engine types, and models available for the car they are looking at. Everything is online after all.

Maybe I am too trusting on people having common sense?
I think there's almost no car buying mistake that's too dumb to have been done thousands of times, and equipment confusion is probably pretty common. After all, you wouldn't think someone would march onto a new car lot and agree to pay full sticker for a vehicle, but apparently this still happens sometimes, even today.
JMR is offline  
post #10 of 30 Old 06-04-2013, 07:17 AM
Senior Member
 
mnlauzon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMR View Post
I think there's almost no car buying mistake that's too dumb to have been done thousands of times, and equipment confusion is probably pretty common. After all, you wouldn't think someone would march onto a new car lot and agree to pay full sticker for a vehicle, but apparently this still happens sometimes, even today.
People actually pay over sticker (markup) on MSRP for rare cars.
mnlauzon is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



  Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1.6L Ecoboost vs 2.0L Ecoboost - actual power and fuel mileage escapeevelyn Ford Escape Fuel Economy Discussion 177 12-29-2015 02:35 PM
2.0 Ecoboost engine camshaft operation wamara Engine and Technical Discussion 6 03-23-2013 01:08 PM
2013 Ford Escape | EcoBoost Engine | Ford Canada boosted Ford Escape Pictures & Videos 0 09-10-2012 03:38 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On