LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 05-29-2014, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Dead battery...help!!

I drive a 2013 Escape and it wouldn't start today. The battery was completely dead, not even the locks would work. I hadn't left any lights on, all the doors were shut etc.....the only thing I can think of is that I left my GPS plugged into the 12V outlet in the center console. Does that thing stay powered on even after the car is turned off? Has this happened to anyone else? Any feedback is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-29-2014, 02:20 PM

There is/was an issue with some 2013's that would drain the battery after sitting for a while. I believe this is mentioned in tsb13-03-04.

The power outlets in the car do remain powered even when the car is off. It is possible that you could have run the battery down by leaving something connected. How long did the car sit?

2014 (Job 2) Ford Escape Titanium 4WD, Ruby Red, 2.0L Group 401A, Pano Roof, Nav, Towing, 19" Wheels
post #3 of 11 Old 05-29-2014, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Battery Issues, yes, there is a TSB that covers that, there can be several reasons behind it, but its an issue that is readily fixed. Leaving anything plugged into the Power outlet will either timeout or once the battery level depletes to a certain level, the battery saver will shut power to the outlets.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hey, look. "Esc-a-pay". Hey, it's spelled just like escape

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 Old 05-29-2014, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. The car sat from 6pm last night until around 9 this morning...so roughly 15 hours. I didn't know the outlets stayed powered on...they've powered down with the car for every other vehicle I've owned.

I've owned this car for just under 2 months and I've already had to reset my SYNC once, and now this...hopefully it doesn't have computer issues.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-29-2014, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

What's the likelihood that I'll have to get a new battery? I've left the GPS plugged in several times before but this is the first time the battery has died. One other question, the USB ports don't stay hot the entire time, do they? I don't see how they could....
post #6 of 11 Old 05-29-2014, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I leave my USB Charger plugged in all the time into the console power outlet, never an issue. I never looked at it myself or paid attention to it, but I will try to remember to look into my console before starting the car tonight. With all that said, it stays plugged in, and I have power, It either shuts down after a given point and or, when the battery goes past a certain power setting off hand don't remember lets call it 11.75v, it goes into a battery save mode and powers down all the non essentials, like the power outlets to conserve battery power for start up. So in essence there isn't a real problem leaving them on/in. New Battery probably not, but they can test the load and cca/ca on the battery to see if its drained enough to not accept a charge. If that is the case then you would have had a bad cell in the battery, which under warranty will switch out. I will see if I can find anything else out in the mean time

post #7 of 11 Old 05-29-2014, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
For those of you with dead battery problems, here is the drain test procedure:

Battery Drain Test

NOTE: No factory-equipped vehicle should have more than a 50 mA (0.050 amp) draw.

NOTE: Many electronic modules draw 10 mA (0.010 amp) or more continuously.

NOTE: Typically, a drain of approximately 1 amp is attributed to an engine compartment lamp, glove compartment lamp or interior lamp staying on continually. Other component failures or wiring shorts are located by selectively pulling fuses to pinpoint the location of the current drain. When the current drain is found, the meter reading falls to an acceptable level. If the drain is still not located after checking all the fuses, it may be due to the generator. Disconnect the generator and retest.

NOTE: To accurately test the drain on a battery, an in-line ammeter must be used between the negative battery post and its respective cable. Use of a test lamp or voltmeter is not an accurate method.

Make sure the junction box(es)/fuse panel(s) is accessible without turning on the interior lights or the underhood lights.
Drive the vehicle at least 5 minutes and over 48 km/h (30 mph) to turn on and activate the vehicle systems.
Allow the vehicle to sit with the key out of the ignition for at least 40 minutes to allow the modules to time out/power down.

Connect a fused jumper wire (30A) between the negative battery cable and the negative battery post to prevent modules from resetting.
Disconnect the negative battery cable from the negative battery post without breaking the connection of the jumper wire.
NOTICE: To prevent damage to the meter, do not crank the engine or operate accessories that draw more than 10A.

NOTE: It is very important that continuity is not broken between the battery and the negative battery cable when connecting the meter. If this happens, the entire 40-minute procedure must be repeated.

Connect the battery tester between the negative battery cable and the post. The meter must be capable of reading milliamps and should have a 10-amp capability.
NOTE: If the meter settings need to be switched or the test leads need to be moved to another jack, the jumper wire must be reinstalled to avoid breaking continuity.

Remove the jumper wire.
Note the amperage draw. Draw varies from vehicle to vehicle depending on the equipment package. Compare to a similar vehicle for reference.
NOTE: If the vehicle sits for an extended period of time and the battery drains, there is the possibility of a control module staying alive and not going into sleep mode. If a module does stay alive, it can also result in battery drain. If a module is suspect, isolate individual modules by disconnecting each module one at a time and note if the excessive draw goes away.

NOTE: For vehicles equipped with aftermarket bodies or boxes which contain electrical connections, disconnect the aftermarket to factory connections to isolate the body from the chassis.

If the current draw is excessive, remove the fuses from the BJB one at a time and note the current drop. When the current level drops to an acceptable level after removing a fuse, the circuit containing the excessive draw has been located. The excessive draw can be isolated by continuing to pull sub system fuses. Do not reinstall the fuses until testing is finished. To correctly isolate each of the circuits, all of the fuses may need to be removed, then install one fuse and note the amperage draw, remove the fuse and install the next fuse. Continue this process with each fuse.
Once the main circuit is identified, continue to remove the fuses from the SJB one at a time and note the current reading. Do not reinstall the fuses until testing is finished. To correctly isolate each of the circuits, all of the fuses may need to be removed, then install one fuse and note the amperage draw, remove the fuse and install the next fuse. Continue this process with each fuse.
Check the wiring diagrams for any circuits that run from the battery without passing through the BJB or the SJB . If the current draw is still excessive, disconnect these circuits until the draw is found. Also, disconnect the generator electrical connections and retest if the draw cannot be located. The generator may be internally shorted, causing the current drain.

Escape City - Ford Escape Forums - Ford Escape, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute, Ford Maverick - View topic - 2013 Ford Escape Titanium battery

post #8 of 11 Old 05-29-2014, 06:24 PM

Garage
The battery drain TSB was for FE's with the pano roofs I believe.
post #9 of 11 Old 05-29-2014, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by td2013 View Post
The battery drain TSB was for FE's with the pano roofs I believe.
Yes, good memory, which reminded me of this one. But it refers to two weeks. Was there another?

TSB 13-03-04 – 2013 Escape – Discharged Battery – Vehicle Not Driven For Two Weeks Or Longer
Some 2013 Escape vehicles built on 8/28/2012 and through 12/5/2012 and equipped with a roof opening panel may exhibit a discharged battery condition only after the vehicle has not been driven for two weeks or longer.

Follow the service procedure steps in this TSB to correct the condition by replacing the roof opening panel motor shade and roof opening panel motor sliding front panel. Refer to the workshop manual, section 501-1

2013 Ford Escape, 2.0 Titanium, 4WD, Frosted Glass - build date 4/16/13
2003 Subaru Forester
1999 Subaru Forester
and more
post #10 of 11 Old 05-29-2014, 06:47 PM

Garage
That's the TSB. Although the FE's can die after a shorter period than two weeks. That is the only power drain TSB I am aware of. So if you do not have the Pano roof, any drain would be from a cause not mentioned in known issues.

Tags
battery , computer , dead battery , outlet

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page