LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 09-28-2014, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Ford Sync + Automatic + Siri

So I was pretty excited with an update to the Automatic OBD device that you can use Siri. However my excitement didn't last too long when on their page the Escape is not supported even though it has My Ford Touch.

According to the Automatic website they state "While many Ford vehicles have SYNC, they don't all communicate through the OBD port in the same way"

Do you think this is a hardware issue or something that Ford can fix with a software upgrade? I see that Automatic supports 2011 and greater Explorer and Edge but not the Escape.

Just curious.

2014 Tuxedo Black Titanium FWD 2.0L FE + Panoramic Sun Roof + Technology Package + Navigation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-28-2014, 07:17 PM

Garage
Automatic and Ford have been working together for a couple of years to be able to add Siri and other iPhone features to the push to talk button on SYNC. The SYNC system that is in the Escape, Fusion and a couple of other models are a newer system and slightly different than the older systems that they have been working on. This is why Automatic is available for the older SYNC systems from 2011. If you go on Automatic's website you can go to a link and give them your name, email, year, model of your car, they will let you know when it will become supported. I also think this is a way for them to know how many people are interested although I hope they are working on the newer SYNC systems we have now.
https://www.automatic.com

Ford also has hardware/software called Remote Access. You install a little box in your car like Viper's Smart Start or AudioVox's Carlink. As long as your car is within cell service, from your phone you can lock, unlock, start/stop engine, and find the vehicle on a map. It also integrates with the alarm system. Guess what? Ford's Remote Start is available for the same models that Automatic is available and not for the 2013+ Escapes or 2012+ Fusions. I hope they can come out with this soon. For now I use the Viper Smart Start which does the same thing and I always install it on my vehicles.

2014 Escape Titanium Sport 2.0 AWD
Ingot Silver Metallic/Med. Light Stone Leather
All options except Tow package/Build Date: 07/19/13
post #3 of 3 Old 09-28-2014, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

That's interesting the Escape has a new version of Sync and it's not supported by neither Automatic or Fords product.

Hopefully that will change in short order.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page