6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 02-08-2015, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Unhappy Ford trying to escape engine replacement under warranty ! HELP NEEDED !

Greetings, everyone,

This is my first post, I just found out about this community recently.

I was the proud owner of a 2013 Ford Escape SE 2.0 Ecoboost.

Been a Ford owner over the past 15 years, owned 2 older Escape (2002 and 2006).

I'm currently in a nightmare with Ford.

Before the holidays, I lost all brake function on the highway. Pretty scary. I was able to do a mix of hand brake and compression to get to my dealer. The result : Brake Boost Vacuum pump was broken. I recently found out this part is connected to the engine crankshaft. Basically this pump jammed and the bold connected to the crankshaft broken in the engine, they had to drill in to replace the part. Since it was during the holidays. My truck stayed at the dealer for more than 15 days.

After completing this repair + 4 recalls, I went to pickup my truck. THE MOMENT I hit the gas pedal I suspected something was wrong : NO POWER AT ALL, as if they had removed the turbo. Instantly I called the dealer asking if they tested the truck before saying the repair was completed. They said yes. I live in Canada and it was a very snowy and icy night. I though maybe it was the anti-slip kicking in that was stopping the power.

The next morning, I was able to get on clean asphalt : still no power and I could start hearing a small engine noise. I called the service dept, I explained the problem and they told me that it's maybe because one of their garagist might have forgotten to plug back a vacuum line or something minor like that that prevented the turbo from working. They told me to bring the truck to any dealer that they could fix it easily.

I went to work (I live about 5 min from work). Then I noticed more than usualy white smoke coming out of exhaust (In cold weather, all cars does white smoke). This one smelled like burned oil ...

I called the dealer back. Told them that now there is white smoke and a check engine on. They told me no to drive the car to the dealer but call Ford assistance. Called Ford assitance and they brought my truck to the closest dealer.

This new dealer replaced the turbo : The white smoke was the oil leaking from the turbo. The turbo also had alot of "shaft play". The turbo filter was also clunged by some residu of something.

After this, they tested the truck and still hear bad noise in the engine. Ford want to know the "root cause" of this. Now that dealer asked me 1000$ for a diagnostic to see what is the "root cause" (I would get this 1000$ back if it's under warranty) and if the engine can be replaced under warranty. I tried to call Ford directly but they told me that each dealers have their own policies, so I gave them the 1000$, I wouldn't see why this would not be repaired under warranty : Car is not even 3 years old, it also has just 50 000km and all maintenance where done properly.

The dealer started the diagnostic, they oppened the top of the engine and said it was full of "crap". That dealer told me that they consider this bad maintenance and chance are that Ford will not cover any repairs.

I'm shocked. My truck runned SUPER FINE before the brake incident. I couldn't been more satisfied with it. No rattles, no sounds, it just ran smootly.

Now that I'm looking for information I see that the 2013 Escape had a few recalls and troubles. Could any of those troubles result in this ? How could my engine run 100% fine before the brake repair and 5 minutes after picking it up from the dealer it needs a new turbo and engine ? Could it be related to that bolt that broke in the crankshaft ? Could the 1st dealer had flushed the oil in my engine and didn't fill it back ? (The truck ran around 100km between the 2 dealers incident).

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-08-2015, 11:34 PM

Sounds like the repair, messed it up even worse. Ruined two or more parts to fix one. Sorry about your luck with it. Havent had to go through a situation like yours
post #3 of 18 Old 02-09-2015, 07:26 AM

If you have the maintenance records that show the car was properly maintained, you should have no problem. If it was maintained by a Ford dealer, Ford should have access to those records.

---

Forced to dump the Escape
In favor of a Jeep

If you need a shoulder to cry on ...
... Pull over to the side of the road

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 02-09-2015, 04:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterfred View Post
Greetings, everyone,

Before the holidays, I lost all brake function on the highway. Pretty scary. I was able to do a mix of hand brake and compression to get to my dealer. The result : Brake Boost Vacuum pump was broken. I recently found out this part is connected to the engine crankshaft. Basically this pump jammed and the bold connected to the crankshaft broken in the engine, they had to drill in to replace the part. Since it was during the holidays. My truck stayed at the dealer for more than 15 days.

After completing this repair + 4 recalls, I went to pickup my truck. THE MOMENT I hit the gas pedal I suspected something was wrong : NO POWER AT ALL, as if they had removed the turbo. Instantly I called the dealer asking if they tested the truck before saying the repair was completed. They said yes. I live in Canada and it was a very snowy and icy night. I though maybe it was the anti-slip kicking in that was stopping the power.

The next morning, I was able to get on clean asphalt : still no power and I could start hearing a small engine noise. I called the service dept, I explained the problem and they told me that it's maybe because one of their garagist might have forgotten to plug back a vacuum line or something minor like that that prevented the turbo from working. They told me to bring the truck to any dealer that they could fix it easily.

I went to work (I live about 5 min from work). Then I noticed more than usualy white smoke coming out of exhaust (In cold weather, all cars does white smoke). This one smelled like burned oil ...

I called the dealer back. Told them that now there is white smoke and a check engine on. They told me no to drive the car to the dealer but call Ford assistance. Called Ford assitance and they brought my truck to the closest dealer.

This new dealer replaced the turbo : The white smoke was the oil leaking from the turbo. The turbo also had alot of "shaft play". The turbo filter was also clunged by some residu of something.

After this, they tested the truck and still hear bad noise in the engine. Ford want to know the "root cause" of this. Now that dealer asked me 1000$ for a diagnostic to see what is the "root cause" (I would get this 1000$ back if it's under warranty) and if the engine can be replaced under warranty. I tried to call Ford directly but they told me that each dealers have their own policies, so I gave them the 1000$, I wouldn't see why this would not be repaired under warranty : Car is not even 3 years old, it also has just 50 000km and all maintenance where done properly.

The dealer started the diagnostic, they oppened the top of the engine and said it was full of "crap". That dealer told me that they consider this bad maintenance and chance are that Ford will not cover any repairs.

I'm shocked. My truck runned SUPER FINE before the brake incident. I couldn't been more satisfied with it. No rattles, no sounds, it just ran smootly.

Now that I'm looking for information I see that the 2013 Escape had a few recalls and troubles. Could any of those troubles result in this ? How could my engine run 100% fine before the brake repair and 5 minutes after picking it up from the dealer it needs a new turbo and engine ? Could it be related to that bolt that broke in the crankshaft ? Could the 1st dealer had flushed the oil in my engine and didn't fill it back ? (The truck ran around 100km between the 2 dealers incident).

Thanks for your help.

See if the Rep on here Tricia can help you. Warrantied repairs should not cost you anything out of pocket. It sounds like its time for a good Rep to help you out.

2013 Escape SE 2.0 - FWD - Sterling Gray - 10/12 Build Date
post #5 of 18 Old 02-09-2015, 05:53 PM

@FordService

2014 Sunset Titanium FWD 2.0L FE
Panno sunroof, Tow Package
Build Date 2/3/14 Day after my Hawks won!
Go Hawks!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 18 Old 02-10-2015, 03:21 AM

Sorry to hear your issue. Ford reps IMO are a great waste of time but do consider this as an option. If your in the US lemon law this now and make Ford pay. There is no way if you have maintenance roof this is any issue but Ford failure in both the manufacturing and the warranty stage. Lawyers need to start getting involved in issues like this to get the consumer adequate compensation on the second largest consumer purchase in a lifetime. I bought my home for 248,000 and my current two fords that will likely last 6 years without MAJOR repair costs approx 90,000 with a major $$ loss. where is this in the justice system
post #7 of 18 Old 02-10-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Greetings, everyone,

Before the holidays, I lost all brake function on the highway. Pretty scary. I was able to do a mix of hand brake and compression to get to my dealer. The result : Brake Boost Vacuum pump was broken. I recently found out this part is connected to the engine crankshaft. Basically this pump jammed and the bold connected to the crankshaft broken in the engine, they had to drill in to replace the part. Since it was during the holidays. My truck stayed at the dealer for more than 15 days...
Welcome to the neighborhood, masterfred!

My name is Tricia, and I’m the U.S. Ford Customer Service Representative.

Are you in Canada? If so, I recommend reaching out to my FordServiceCA colleagues. Please private message (PM) your full name, VIN, dealer, and best daytime phone number. They’ll be happy to get this concern escalated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by td2013 View Post
See if the Rep on here Tricia can help you. Warrantied repairs should not cost you anything out of pocket. It sounds like its time for a good Rep to help you out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadmic View Post
Thanks for the heads-up, guys.

Let me know if you need anything, and have a wonderful day!

Tricia

FORD SERVICE

p: 800.392.FORD
t:

f:

post #8 of 18 Old 02-10-2015, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
It wasn't done by Ford, but I have provided them the bills
post #9 of 18 Old 02-10-2015, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I'm still negociating with this issue. It's kinda overwhelming, everybody between the dealer and Ford throws the ball at each other.

Is this a normal process from Ford to ask it's customer 1000$ deposit to do a diagnostic in order to find "root cause" ? My truck is under warranty.
post #10 of 18 Old 02-10-2015, 04:14 PM

Garage
Quote:
I...Is this a normal process from Ford to ask it's customer 1000$ deposit to do a diagnostic in order to find "root cause"...
Yuppa! I have owned many Fords and always had to pay the "diagnostic" fee (when I was in the extended coverage years) to zero in on a problem. IF the problem was covered - I would get back my diagnostic fee. It sucks - but Ford (and every other manufacture) knows they got you by the )(*)(*)($@%.

2014 Escape SE 4WD
2.0L I4 GTDI EcoBoost Engine
Sunset Metallic
Equipment Group 200A
Trailer Towing (Class III)
Tonneau Cover
BUILT:Sunday 01/12/2014

-----------------------------
TRADED UP (Because of 13S12)
2013 Escape SE 4WD
1.6L GTDI EcoBoost Engine
BUILT: Monday 11/26/2012