2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 Old 08-18-2013, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

What is a Supplemental Heater? Does the Escape have it?

Occasionally in reviews I see a very brief mention of a "Supplemental Heater". Most spec sheets and reviews do not make any mention of it.

What is it? Does the Escape have it?

Is it one of those electric heaters designed to make a little heat before the engine is warm? This would be a *great* feature if it had it...

My 2014 Titanium is on order, so I am quite curious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 08-19-2013, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I haven't heard of a sup heater in the FE, what I do love, is the remote start feature, It measures the ambient vs. cabin temp, and even if your climate control system is off, it will turn on to defrost/heat the cabin and vs versa cool down the cabin prior to you entering the vehicle. However, it was explained to me that the FE doesn't just spit out cool/warm air on start up, it will actually prep the itself before sending into the cabin ie: turning on the a/c and get blasted with hot air.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hey, look. "Esc-a-pay". Hey, it's spelled just like escape

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 34 Old 08-19-2013, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotattitude View Post
I haven't heard of a sup heater in the FE, what I do love, is the remote start feature, It measures the ambient vs. cabin temp, and even if your climate control system is off, it will turn on to defrost/heat the cabin and vs versa cool down the cabin prior to you entering the vehicle. However, it was explained to me that the FE doesn't just spit out cool/warm air on start up, it will actually prep the itself before sending into the cabin ie: turning on the a/c and get blasted with hot air.
That's pretty awesome. I am excited for that!
post #4 of 34 Old 08-20-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotattitude View Post
that is an amazing feature, i don't even think some high end luxury cars have this feature, glad to hear the Escape is getting it, it will definitely score it some extra points.

always hated turning on my A/C and getting a blast of hot air in the summer and same with winter, turning on heat and getting cold air for a while.
post #5 of 34 Old 08-20-2013, 02:29 PM

i believe you can fit aftermarket block heaters to the car.

is that what heater you are referring to?
post #6 of 34 Old 08-21-2013, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnlauzon View Post
i believe you can fit aftermarket block heaters to the car.

is that what heater you are referring to?
I'm not sure if that's what they are referring to. Maybe it is. But I've never heard it called that.

I thought maybe it was an electric heater for before the coolant was warm. Some vehicles have em, seems like a great idea.
post #7 of 34 Old 08-21-2013, 07:01 AM

I have a block heater on my engine, useful when it gets really cold
Maybe it is a Canada feature only?

2013 Ruby Red Titanium 4WD
Nav-Full leather-Tech park package-OEM moulded mudguards, wheel locks,Console tray!,
OEM cargo organizer
Full Weathertech-Curt Hitch
Led license-cargo-puddle-mirror flasher upgrade
Silverstar cornering bulbs, PIAA xtreme white fog bulbs
Underhood led lights, winter tires&rims with TPMS
Coming up: front tint, led flashers front and back & brake. LED red inside door marker
post #8 of 34 Old 08-21-2013, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I thought Supplement heaters usually came with diesel engines. I know they are different than block heaters. Most vehicles sold in Canada come with block heaters, unless you live on the west coast, or interior BC, where it doesn't get very cold. Bloc heaters, when plugged in, just warm up your engine block and oil to make it easier to start on very cold days.
post #9 of 34 Old 01-24-2014, 12:58 PM

It's definitely included on the 2013 Escape Titanium.

It's not very well documented, but if you have it, you push the Max Heat button and you'll get lukewarm air from the vents in 30-60 seconds depending on outside air temperatures. I'm not sure what package its included with, though I have a suspicion that it's part of the Ecoboost engine option.

It's important to note that it ONLY comes on if you push the Max Heat button - simply turning the temp up to 85 degrees doesn't do it.

*EDIT -
More information -
The Electrical Supplemental Heater is included as part of package 41H, Engine Block Heater. It is INCLUDED for free if you live in one of the 7 cold weather states (AK, MN, WI, WY, ND, SD, or MT), and is not available as an option at all if you live in any other state.
post #10 of 34 Old 01-24-2014, 01:23 PM
JMR

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by p38fln View Post
More information -
The Electrical Supplemental Heater is included as part of package 41H, Engine Block Heater. It is INCLUDED for free if you live in one of the 7 cold weather states (AK, MN, WI, WY, ND, SD, or MT), and is not available as an option at all if you live in any other state.
What about some poor guy who lives up in Maine? It doesn't get cold in the East? I guess the thing to do is to buy your Escape in Minneapolis and then drive it home.
Throttleman and mn_escape like this.

2013 Sterling Gray Metallic Escape SEL 2.0L 4WD w/Equipment Group 302A, Panorama Roof, Ford OEM Cargo Area Protector, Ford OEM Splash Guards, WeatherTech All-Weather Floor Mats (front only), Ford OEM Center Console Tray, Aluminum Pedal Covers, Fitted LED DRLs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page