2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 01-06-2016, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Push Button Start Issue

2013 2.0 Titanium.AWD...all the bells and whistles....33 months, 34,500 miles. Have been using the same key fob pretty much exclusively from new. Jumped in to leave the house and screen says NO MY FORD KEY DETECTED (or something like that)....there was enough juice in the key to lock / unlock the doors.....but I assumed the battery was low ??? Got the other key & car started no problem. Took it to dealership since still under warranty.....the "bad key" worked there.....but they went ahead and replaced the battery under warranty.

We normally don't keep the second key with us.....if we would have been on vacation in the wilderness we would have been seriously screwed!

A salesman at the dealership thought maybe if in that circumstance if you actually pushed the push button start with the key fob it might be in close enough proximity to start the car.

Actually, I always thought the car was detecting the chip in the fob & it wasn't the key transmitting to the car?

Any thoughts out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-06-2016, 04:53 PM

Garage
If I am not mistaken is there a spot behind the steering where you have to hold the key up to that will allow it to start?

2016 Deep Impact Blue Titanium Escape
301a, panoramic roof, navigation, 2.0
Build Date: 09-07-2015

2013 White Escape SE 2.0 Eco
Tow PKG
Power Lift-gate
Panoramic Moonroof
Build Date 6/29/2012
post #3 of 16 Old 01-06-2016, 05:12 PM

I have a 2014 Escape with push-button start. My FOB has a hidden key inside of it. I've never had to use it but I think its for those times when the FOB battery is dead and your spare FOB is not nearby.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 01-06-2016, 05:28 PM

Garage
That only allows you to open the car door itself if it won't unlock itself if the battery is dead..there is no place to use the key to start the car..

2016 Deep Impact Blue Titanium Escape
301a, panoramic roof, navigation, 2.0
Build Date: 09-07-2015

2013 White Escape SE 2.0 Eco
Tow PKG
Power Lift-gate
Panoramic Moonroof
Build Date 6/29/2012
post #5 of 16 Old 01-06-2016, 05:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xr4tiboi View Post
That only allows you to open the car door itself if it won't unlock itself if the battery is dead..there is no place to use the key to start the car..
You don't use the key to start the car. If you check your manual(it's in there), you'll see that there is a mark on the steering column and if you place the pointy end(can't quite remember, pretty sure it's the pointy end) on that mark, you can start it even if the battery in the fob is dead.

edit: Oops, saw above that you mentioned that already. But yeah the person who started the thread wouldn't have been screwed if he didn't have the other fob handy(why the guy at the dealership didn't know this and tell him is weird).
post #6 of 16 Old 01-06-2016, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
When the battery is dead/low, there is a notch in the steering column that when the key fob is held up to it, will allow it to start the car. There should be a picture and instructions in your owners manual.

ATL GA USA
2013 Titanium<SEL Tuxedo Black 2.0 Built 07.19.2012
OEM Xenons, 302A package, PanoRoof, Sony MFT Nav
Parking Tech Package, PVD Chrome Rims, Ford Tow Pkg
Help us help you - what is your year, engine, drivetrain, trim and SYNC version?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 16 Old 01-06-2016, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

OK....as soon as I started this thread I Googled "No my ford key detected" ...found a video....shows the slot on the right side of the steering column. Really hard to see without a flashlight. I took the battery completely out of the FOB to see if that really works....it does.

I spent 30 minutes reading the owner's manual looking for this info before I gave up and went to the internet. I'm sure it's in there somewhere but I never found it. Besides, who reads every page of their owner's manual. AND, what % of people you suppose keep their manual in their cars?
post #8 of 16 Old 01-06-2016, 06:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris L. View Post
OK....as soon as I started this thread I Googled "No my ford key detected" ...found a video....shows the slot on the right side of the steering column. Really hard to see without a flashlight. I took the battery completely out of the FOB to see if that really works....it does.

I spent 30 minutes reading the owner's manual looking for this info before I gave up and went to the internet. I'm sure it's in there somewhere but I never found it. Besides, who reads every page of their owner's manual. AND, what % of people you suppose keep their manual in their cars?
I didn't read every page, but why wouldn't I keep it in the car? I'm not that desperate to save weight, there's plenty of room in the glove box, and if I ever do need to check something while I'm stuck out in the middle of nowhere, I can at least give the manual a try. I've never not left the manual for a vehicle in the glovebox, and most people I know just leave their manual there as well assuming they didn't get it used without one or something.
post #9 of 16 Old 01-06-2016, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris L. View Post
You could always download the manual online and do a search. I keep my manual in my car. I never owned a vehicle where i didn't leave the manual in the car. Not sure why you wouldn't

2014 Ruby Red Titanium 2.0 AWD
401A, Technology, Sony w/nav, 19" Wheels, Tonneau cover

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 16 Old 01-06-2016, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Have any of you actually found this in the 2013 manual....a clear description?

After 50 years of driving.....well over 1,000,000 miles / 20+ different cars........I still have never experienced a situation where an owner's manual in a car would have been of any value. This happened in my garage.....second key was in the house.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page