20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 Old 01-12-2016, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Q's about auto stop/start in the '17 Escape specifically

While this technology seems to be the wave of the future in the never-ending drive to squeeze a few more miles out of a gallon without reducing performance, and certainly the '17 Escape isn't its first application ....

I've not been successful with Google in finding out if it can be 'defeated/turned-off' selectively by the driver on the '17 Escape specifically .... anyone have any links that specifically address that question (what is possible on other cars doesn't count ;-)?

Since designed for maximum benefit in urban stop-and-go situations where there's less opportunity for driving time to keep the battery charge 'topped-up' ... I gotta wonder if they've squeezed-in a larger battery to go with the inevitably increased starter-current demand when it is in-play? Again, anyone have links to any discussion of this?

I also wonder if the electric power steering is 'functional' when in the "stop" mode (or does turning the steering wheel "start" the engine when stopped at idle) ?

Color me curious.

(long shot here .... any chance the @FordService folks can find answers about things like this?)

'14 Escape SE 2.0 FWD (25 Sep 13 build); 201A SE Convenience Package; Power Liftgate; Leather Comfort Package; Oxford White on Med Light Stone Leather (SYNC 2 w/8" MFT screen)
I love my hard-working '05 F-150 XLT 5.4 V8 trailer-towing truck, too !

Help us help you - what is your year, engine, drivetrain, trim and SYNC version?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 01-12-2016, 09:45 PM

Look at the 2016 Ford Edge owners manual, page 156. It describes the auto stop/start function. There is a console button to disable that must be pressed on every start-cycle. The Escape will probably be very similar in operation to other vehicles in Ford's lineup that has this feature.

Owner Manuals | fleet.ford.com
tglee and ambrein80 like this.
post #3 of 37 Old 01-12-2016, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

^^^ Cool, thanks for that link. The text also describes strategies to preserve enough better charge, apparently making a larger battery moot.

'14 Escape SE 2.0 FWD (25 Sep 13 build); 201A SE Convenience Package; Power Liftgate; Leather Comfort Package; Oxford White on Med Light Stone Leather (SYNC 2 w/8" MFT screen)

Help us help you - what is your year, engine, drivetrain, trim and SYNC version?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 Old 01-12-2016, 10:26 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I did read somewhere that they specified a new battery for the new Escape for the start stop and electric compressor for the a/c. Ah, found it: 2017 Ford Escape Official Photos and Info ? News ? Car and Driver

There's certainly enough room in the compartment...

ATL GA USA
2013 Titanium<SEL Tuxedo Black 2.0 Built 07.19.2012
OEM Xenons, 302A package, PanoRoof, Sony MFT Nav
Parking Tech Package, PVD Chrome Rims, Ford Tow Pkg
post #5 of 37 Old 01-13-2016, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

^^^ Another good link, thanks, but ...

"...auto stop-start brings with it a unique battery..." (from the above linked Car & Driver article)

... not so sure I like the word "unique" in reference to a car battery, hopefully that's just a bit of C&D hyperbole (?)

post #6 of 37 Old 01-13-2016, 11:30 PM

I would have to say auto start/stop technology has no place in a vehicle using an external starter motor engaging a ring gear. 4-6 percent increase in economy, meh. Sounds like a short term speculation knowing the long term doesn't matter.
post #7 of 37 Old 01-13-2016, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Every change that adds 5 % adds up, rather have a bunch of these, then an old 6 mpg V8, which is where we could be without forward thinking.
centex likes this.

ATL GA USA
2013 Titanium<SEL Tuxedo Black 2.0 Built 07.19.2012
OEM Xenons, 302A package, PanoRoof, Sony MFT Nav
Parking Tech Package, PVD Chrome Rims, Ford Tow Pkg
post #8 of 37 Old 01-14-2016, 12:25 AM

Especially when the countries building these fancy parts care so much about the environment. 5% cancels out what now? I'm all about forward progress. It seems forced progression may not be the answer.
post #9 of 37 Old 01-14-2016, 07:19 AM

I test drove a 2015 Jeep Cherokee with the engine start/stop feature. It wasn't terribly noticeable but I could notice it. I am not sure if it was the start/stop or the Z9 speed tranny, but there was definitely some lag off the line. Nothing huge.... but I noticed. My big issue here is...... offer it as an add on, either in a package or stand alone. Don't force people into buying it. My train of thought is when you are dealing with something controlling engine shut off and turn on, you are dealing with something that can be a catastrophic failure waiting to happen. This isn't like adding another cup holder or cubby space. This is also why I always bought my vehicles with a manual tranny. Unfortunately this isn't an option on the Escape, and is dying off on pretty much every other vehicle as well (save for sports cars).

2015 Ford Escape SE
: Tuxedo Black
: 2.0L AWD
: Towing Package
post #10 of 37 Old 01-14-2016, 09:36 AM

Why haven't they done away with the starter yet.
It seems with a signal to locate the next cylinder just past tdc a direct shot of fuel into the cylinder followed by a spark would begin the rotation needed.

2015 Escape SE 4WD Deep Impact blue Metallic
2.0l Ecoboost, 201A, se convenience package, Myford Touch/Nav, DEATC, Charcoal black, Leather comfort, Heated seats, Leather wheel, Power Heated Mirrors, reverse sensing, perimeter alarm, panorama roof, Roof rack cross bars Trailer towing class ll ,18"PVD/Crome, wheels Splash guards, All weather mats, Cargo area protection, 25 mpg

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page